Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't women ask men to dance ?

Why don't women ask men to dance ?

Ok 90% of people on this site (the women) I'm sure chase the men around the dance floor to get 'their man' for a dance

But we have all seen women tapping their feet 'waiting' to be asked to dance

Sitting on the side for an hour with that 'please ask me to dance look'

Does Ceroc I guess just following society where men usually ask women

In 2015 will it be 50/50 ?

ps this of course doesn't refer to all the wonderful male dancers on this site that are asked all the time

I play a game sometime where I wait to be asked,if no one has I will ask someone usually within a few minutes,are some women just too scared to ask men ?

ps how many ask(ed) can I get in a thread ?

Angel with attitude! xSalsa_Angelx's Avatar
    I don't hesitate in asking men, If I sat all night waiting to be asked the I would end up sitting all night practically.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
    I don't hesitate in asking men, If I sat all night waiting to be asked the I would end up sitting all night practically.
    Even with your long red hair?!?!?!!?

Angel with attitude! xSalsa_Angelx's Avatar
    Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
    Even with your long red hair?!?!?!!?

Red hair always does the trick

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Dear Stewart 38 - Please can I have a dance with you at the party in Perth on the 16th August

I often ask guys to dance - and if there aren't any available then I ask the girls too
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Commercial Operator
    This is a very sexist thread. Why don't men ask men to dance?

Women ask women - but maybe that's because they've got fed up with waiting for a man to ask them.

Speaking personally, I get asked to dance much less now I've learnt the trick of modern jive. When I was 'just a beginner' like the Tramp I was asked all the time. Nowadays I do most of the asking and when I ask a woman I don't know I often get told 'I don't think I'm good enough to dance with an expert like you'. Which is flattering but far too self-deprecating (and I'm not an expert either - yet)

Modern jive is a social dance and, in my opinion, everyone should mix nicely together no matter how good or bad they are. To not dance with someone because they're better/more experienced than you would be like a party guest saying they couldn't have a conversation with you because you were far too interesting.

Then again, maybe they don't ask me because I'm a short, balding cross-dresser with 3 chins

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Re: Why don't women ask men to dance ?

Originally posted by stewart38
    I play a game sometime where I wait to be asked,if no one has I will ask someone usually within a few minutes
    Maybe the women are doing that too?

I usually ask men to dance. But sometimes: just sometimes, it's nice to be actually asked...so sometimes I'll wait and see if anyone asks me. Just like you, if no-one does I take myself to the bar and weep into my drink...oops...no, wrong answer....I mean I ask someone else

The Oracle
    I saw the best request for a dance ever tonight. A lady (who shall remain nameless) ran up to a man at the start of a song, jumped up and down in front of him and said "Me! Me! Me!"

Originally posted by DavidB
    I saw the best request for a dance ever tonight. A lady (who shall remain nameless) ran up to a man at the start of a song, jumped up and down in front of him and said "Me! Me! Me!"
    Happens to me all the time.....

It took me about 5 years to learn to ask men to dance. I mean, men I don't know.

I was beginning to think I was getting the hang of it ... Now, if I'm in a new venue where I hardly know anyone, I will try and look round for a man who looks as if he wants to dance, who's not engrossed in conversation, and who might be willing to dance with me.

But twice now, when I've done that, I've had men come up to me and say, Yes, I can see you're prowling ...

There's me doing my very best 'be brave, be outgoing, be assertive ...' - and I'm regarded as a prowler! That definitely puts me off.

Rachel

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Rachel
    It took me about 5 years to learn to ask men to dance. I mean, men I don't know.

I was beginning to think I was getting the hang of it ... Now, if I'm in a new venue where I hardly know anyone, I will try and look round for a man who looks as if he wants to dance, who's not engrossed in conversation, and who might be willing to dance with me.

But twice now, when I've done that, I've had men come up to me and say, Yes, I can see you're prowling ...

There's me doing my very best 'be brave, be outgoing, be assertive ...' - and I'm regarded as a prowler! That definitely puts me off.

Rachel
    Those Northampton men must have no sensitivity. I thought we all knew to be especially nice to women that ask us to dance. I know it isn't easy for a woman to ask you to to dance so you need to be careful how you respond.

These men are being, at best, thoughless. Don't ask them again, ask some of the others. Hopefully they will react the way I do and feel flattered and say 'I'd love to'.

And, as the ultimate revenge, you could always learn to lead and dance with another woman

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Those Northampton men must have no sensitivity.
    It's not the Northampton men, actually - they've always been very good there.

These men are being, at best, thoughless. Don't ask them again, ask some of the others. Hopefully they will react the way I do and feel flattered and say 'I'd love to'.
    I'd never ask those same men to dance again. In fact, I rushed off the floor as soon as the one dance with them was over. But I know I'm being hyper-paranoid ... and try not to let it put me off asking anyone else.

I have to say, I probably would have felt very nervous asking you to dance but, given your reply here, I'll look out for you and give you my 'Um, would you ... um ... are you having a break? or, um might you like .... ah, um, perhaps you're going to dance with someone else, or, um ...' (Oh God, I know, I'm pathetic!!!)

And, as the ultimate revenge, you could always learn to lead and dance with another woman
    Yeah, good thinking - let's just cut out the men altogether!

Rachel

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

OI !! I dont want to have to come dancing in a dress y'know

I'll look out for you and give you my 'Um, would you ... um ... are you having a break? or, um might you like .... ah, um, perhaps you're going to dance with someone else, or, um ...' (Oh God, I know, I'm pathetic!!!)
    You could just stand near him and look gorgeous as usual.

Does knowing the lady moves mean I'll still get a dance?

I think there are alot of men and women who go to Ceroc that are shy about asking people to dance. But because it's nearly always more women than men at venues then the women have to pluck up more courage than the guys otherwise they will be sat down all evening.

I've noticed that women can tend to group together at venues and for me approaching a group of ladies can be really nerve wrecking than approaching a lady by herself or with 1 friend.

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    OI !! I dont want to have to come dancing in a dress y'know
    Oh but it's not that bad - just ask Andy - nice and cool!

Originally posted by Graham
    You could just stand near him and look gorgeous as usual.
    Ah, but you're thinking of someone else - my speciality is the drowned rat look.
    R.

Ah, but you're thinking of someone else - my speciality is the drowned rat look.
    R.
    That's right - a gorgeous drowned rat

Originally posted by Jon
    Does knowing the lady moves mean I'll still get a dance?

I think there are alot of men and women who go to Ceroc that are shy about asking people to dance. But because it's nearly always more women than men at venues then the women have to pluck up more courage than the guys otherwise they will be sat down all evening.

I've noticed that women can tend to group together at venues and for me approaching a group of ladies can be really nerve wrecking than approaching a lady by herself or with 1 friend.
    I'd dance with you, but I can't lead ... So you'd have to be a pretend lady who happens to be able to lead, if you see what I mean!

Yes, I prey on individuals who are all on their own - I couldn't ever approach a group of men to ask for a dance. I like the pink 'first mover' stickers that some people wear. Those are the people I look out for first and foremost. For some reason, I think new people won't mind dancing with me so much.
    Rachel

Originally posted by Graham
    That's right - a gorgeous drowned rat
    Oh Graham .... having a shitty day today, cancelled holidays, the prospect of endless work all through the summer ... You've just made today feel so much better!

Thread Information