Thread: Commercial Operator

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Commercial Operator

Commercial Operator

Such an ugly tag. The last way I want to sum up my existence is as a 'commercial operator'. A plastic surgeon is a commercial operator. Can't it be something slightly more evocative like 'Prophet of love and joy'? Or if the financial aspect of my involvement in dance must be acknowledged, a witty play on words like 'Profit from love and joy'.

Or how about simply 'Amir'. The funky italics can stay. They make me feel cool and different. I've been trying to feel cool and different ever since Jennifer failed to invite me to her pool party in 7th grade. I remember her passing out the invites at class. I was trying so hard not to look like I was trying hard that I entered a semi catatonic state and have suffered mild narcolepsy ever since. Or was that insomnia? I forget which. Actually, I just remembered: I suffer from memory loss. Temporary memory loss and confusion. Steve says that’s a fancy way of describing the fact that I’m stupid. His idea of a joke, I guess, but I never laugh. I can never remember the punch line or who Steve is in the first place.

Does this sound like the plea of a ‘commercial operator’? I rest my case.

Re: Commercial Operator

How about professional

Professional - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    or in Amir's case smooth operator
    Last edited by philsmove; 16th-April-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Commercial Operator

I'm with Amir on this one (apart from the pool party bit, I got my invite but couldn't go due to measles). I like to think that it's Franck's way of indicating that we are more than a "Senior Member". But it probably ensures that people take our posts with a pinch of salt as they are aware that we might be posting for commercial reasons.

Speaking personally, I can think of only a handful of times anybody has attended one of our events due to a posting on here. But we are a long way from most other forumites and forum membership might be a great commercial benefit if you live in London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, etc.

Commercial Operator

Another vote from me on the lack of esthetic quality in the 'Commerical Operator' term. It really sounds like a euphemism of some kind, although I'd rather not speculate as to what kind. Although not such a blatant euphemism as 'Senior Member'

Amir - at least you knew Jennifer. I'd never heard of her until this moment, and I feel even more excluded than you. Perhaps I too have been mentally scarred by that, and have only just realised it. Is this Franck's fault though?

Perhaps we could break down commercial operators into their main 'activities' - so a teacher could be a Dance God (Amir, of course, would be the Dance God)
    DJs could be Music Gods.

Or we could get a little more realistic - a teacher could be an 'Imparter of Knowledge' and a DJ could be a 'Sensei of Sound'. A more organisational person could be a 'Mover and Shaker'.

Oh - the choices....

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    ... so a teacher could be a Dance God ...
    This would be complicated for the atheists amongst us - would I still believe in myself? Would Dawkins still talk to me? Or would he sit on my lap on the train insisting to everyone else I am not even there? This could be the source of a serious identity crisis, especially if wearing tight jeans.

I still prefer a neutral tag or none at all. I don't come on the forum to commercially operate, thank you very much.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    This would be complicated for the atheists amongst us - would I still believe in myself? Would Dawkins still talk to me? Or would he sit on my lap on the train insisting to everyone else I am not even there? This could be the source of a serious identity crisis, especially if wearing tight jeans.
    Are you telling me that all those sacrificing all those Morris Dancers to you each year on a Blessed Altar on the Twelfth Moon of the Twelfth Month hasn't helped my dancing after all??????

And it took so long to get the bloodstains out

Commercial Operator

Are you telling me that all those sacrificing all those Morris Dancers to you each year on a Blessed Altar on the Twelfth Moon of the Twelfth Month hasn't helped my dancing after all??????
    The sacfice of Morris Dancers is not an act of faith, it is a service to the World of Dance. Your only mistake is limiting sacrificial days to once every 12 months. Get with the programme, sacrifice a Morris Dancer today

Commercial Operator

And it took so long to get the bloodstains out
    They mostly have cider circulating through their veins. You can remove the stains with white vinegar

Does this sound like the plea of a ‘commercial operator’? I rest my case.

be carefull what you wish for you could end up with a name tag that people keep asking you to explain

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    be carefull what you wish for you could end up with a name tag that people keep asking you to explain
    Now you come to mention it.... ?

a witty play on words
    There's a first time for everything

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    There's a first time for everything
    unfortunately I ran out of first times years ago

I forget which. Actually, I just remembered: I suffer from memory loss. Temporary memory loss and confusion. Steve says that’s a fancy way of describing the fact that I’m stupid. His idea of a joke, I guess, but I never laugh. I can never remember the punch line or who Steve is in the first place.
    As long as you don't loose your muscle memory.

I can't find my thinking cap, will have to get back to you.....

Thread Information