Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What class are you?

Commercial Operator

Re: What class are you?

Class? I'll usually join the advanced or intermediate classes, depending on the event and the dance.

What - READ the thread before posting? Why would I do that?

being an ex Welsh coal miner i am upper class.

If anyone disagrees i will send my butler around to kick the sh1t out of you.
    Ps pass the jellied ells my lovely.

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Who gives a ***** what class people are?!?! If people are nice, well mannered, sociable, good kind people... who their parent's were and how much cash they have... doesn't matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Spin dryer View Post
    [...] The Daily Mail. A few quotes:
    [Her mother is] pushy, rather twee and incredibly middle-class. She uses words such as "Pleased to meet you", "toilet" and "pardon".
    Can someone please tell me what one is supposed to say instead of "Pleased to meet you", "toilet" and "pardon"???
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Can someone please tell me what one is supposed to say instead of "Pleased to meet you", "toilet" and "pardon"???
    Well you are a wee bit far south... but you could try: -

Fit like?
    Cludgy
    Fit?

It works for me, but then again I've never been out with a prince!

Pleased to meet you -> How do you do
    Toilet -> Loo or Lavatory
    Pardon -> I beg your pardon or what?

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post

I use all of the above. Although I think it's a bit (slightly) rude to just say 'what' if for instance you've not heard what someone has said to you. I'd use 'pardon', 'sorry', 'excuse me' etc....

Is it bad to say 'pardon', 'toilet' and 'pleased to meet you'??

As for what class I belong in, I'd say the Artist class. We're just different from the rest! As for my parents, one was definitely working class, and the other middle class, if you do have to put people in boxes. But I'm just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    Who gives a ***** what class people are?!?! If people are nice, well mannered, sociable, good kind people... who their parent's were and how much cash they have... doesn't matter!
    It certainly doesn't matter in the sense that no individual should be deemed more or less worthy because of their background.

It certainly is, however, of great significance. To give just one example, I've read in various sources that social background is a very strong indicator of the likely success of a marriage. To put it rather crudely, the research suggests that a dimwitted sloaney woman is much more likely to have a successful marriage with a bright sloaney male than would a bright non sloaney woman. I understand that social differences are a much more important factor in a relationship than, say, differences in intelligence or age. On the other hand, where both partners are from the same social background, then the closer their educational background, the greater the prospects of success for the relationship.

In one sense, you have to pity Prince William. He might have thousands of women drooling over him, but the pool of suitable women is small. The chosen woman will have to be upper class (elimates 95% of women), not a Roman Catholic (eliminates 30% (?) of women), fertile (eliminates 10%) and a virgin or close to it (eliminates 99.99% of women his age).

In one sense, you have to pity Prince William. He might have thousands of women drooling over him, but the pool of suitable women is small. The chosen woman will have to be upper class (elimates 95% of women), not a Roman Catholic (eliminates 30% (?) of women), fertile (eliminates 10%) and a virgin or close to it (eliminates 99.99% of women his age).
    I'm no statistician, but I think that leaves only the divine Isabella Anstruther-Gough-Calthrope. Sadly she's declined William's overtures.

Sighs with relief..... Thought this thread was which class are we, as in which year we left school.

To put it rather crudely, the research suggests that a dimwitted sloaney woman is much more likely to have a successful marriage with a bright sloaney male than would a bright non sloaney woman.
    That will be because she's too dimwitted to spot his extra martial affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I'm too geeky to be classy.
    Just as well that I'm classy then, init?!

I suppose I would say that I'm working class, and am from a working class background.

I too say "Pardon", "Toilet" and "Pleased to meet you" mind you I also say "Gosh!" and "Bother!" and "Darned" a lot It doesn't make me any classier.. it just means I sound more like a Scottish Hugh Grant when I swear *
    No Sweetie, that just makes you sound like Bertie Wooster

(I just hope that doesn't make me Jeeves )

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    .. who their parent's were and how much cash they have... doesn't matter!
    It never did for the upper classes - lack of money did not lower your status one bit as long as you were of the right stock, and went to Eton . For the middle classes it was money and education that was important not parentage. Working class had neither money or parents of merit Luckily , society doesn't work like that anymore.

Don't know, politeness must be something English people don't do if they don't want to sound too posh. Who can explain Daily Mail readers though By using "what one is supposed to say" you have demonstrated you are waaay too posh for the Daily Mail. You're probably an Independent reader

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    Proof that its an English thing - I don't know anyone that ever uses "how do you do" (if someone asked me that I'd say "how do I do what?".

And "Loo/Lavatory" ? Only if you wanted to sound like a posh person from London - which is ironic as you are using it as a non-posh suggestion

Same goes for "I beg your pardon" - must be 10x as posh as a simple "Pardon" surely ? It hardly compares to "what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

Hmmm, Jeeves waits on Bertie night and day and won't go to bed until he's got permission. Is that a fair description of your relationship ?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I'm too geeky to be classy.

I'm in a class of my own.
    mind you I also say "Gosh!" and "Bother!" and "Darned" a lot It doesn't make me any classier.. it just means I sound more like a Scottish Hugh Grant when I swear *

Well - if Beo adds 'deuced' and 'dashed' to the list, he'd sound like Lord Peter Wimsey. I bet he'd look great with a monocle.

Then you could be Harriet Vane. When's the wedding?

This thread reminds me of years ago when a friend's mother took us to Alton Towers and bought us hot dogs - I asked the hot dog seller for a serviette and my friend's mum said I must never use that word again and what I really meant to ask for was a napkin..............crikey o'riley - I thought serviettes were the cheap paper things you get from stalls and napkins were for dinner parties. Apparently they are all napkins! She made me feel so small......even smaller than I actually am!

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle View Post
    This thread reminds me of years ago when a friend's mother took us to Alton Towers and bought us hot dogs - I asked the hot dog seller for a serviette and my friend's mum said I must never use that word again and what I really meant to ask for was a napkin..............crikey o'riley - I thought serviettes were the cheap paper things you get from stalls and napkins were for dinner parties. Apparently they are all napkins! She made me feel so small......even smaller than I actually am!
    Perhaps she mis-heard you and thought you were asking for a servant to wipe any spillage (which is quite posh), so thought she could tone it down a bit by teaching you to use a napkin by yourself (and give the hired help the afternoon off!)

Quote Originally Posted by the whale View Post
    Perhaps she mis-heard you and thought you were asking for a servant to wipe any spillage (which is quite posh), so thought she could tone it down a bit by teaching you to use a napkin by yourself (and give the hired help the afternoon off!)
    yeah that must've been it!!! LOL

An Eclectic Toaster

Given that The Daily Mail unashamedly targets the lower middle and middle middle classes, it's a little surprising that they should risk alienating their readers in this way. Surely, the Mail doesn't think it can flatter its readers into believing that they belong to the upper middle or upper classes?
    I'd say it's exactly the kind of thing the Daily Mail wants to print. Don't forget their readership is aspirational middle-class, i.e. obsessed with bettering themselves.

Printing stories which feed into what they think they should be like is ideal stuff for the DM readership - it'll read like an etiquette lesson for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Proof that its an English thing - I don't know anyone that ever uses "how do you do" (if someone asked me that I'd say "how do I do what?".

And "Loo/Lavatory" ? Only if you wanted to sound like a posh person from London - which is ironic as you are using it as a non-posh suggestion

Same goes for "I beg your pardon" - must be 10x as posh as a simple "Pardon" surely ? It hardly compares to "what?
    Uh, DS, these are the posh versions, so you've just proved your own point.

And "I beg your pardon" definitely compares to "what" if you say "eh, what?" in a Prince Charles imitation voice...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    Uh, DS, these are the posh versions, so you've just proved your own point.
    Ducasi asked what one would say instead of the posh versions, so I assumed FirstMoves reply was non-posh

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Ducasi asked what one would say instead of the posh versions, so I assumed FirstMoves reply was non-posh
    No, he asked what you should say instead of the examples used to demonstrate Kate Middleton's middle class background. In other words, 'pardon', 'toilet' and 'pleased to meet you' are what the aspirational middle classes say when they think they sound posh. It's all in the book that Spin dryer quoted about - 'Watching the English' by Kate Fox.

Then again, I wouldn't expect you to understand, you're Scottish.

Thread Information