Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mariachi??

Commercial Operator

Mariachi??

After people power (read "Forum power") has influenced Utopia and it's late opening in June, it got me to thinking....

I'm attempting a new thing which is called "Mariachi" which is aimed at playing all guitar music. It isn't as extreme, as say a rock nite, as it could be because it would draw from Latin, Rock, R'n'R, Blues, Country, etc. BUT, it absolutely would be guitar based. Also, it wouldn't be limited to fast only, slow only or even mid tempo only... It would try to cover all the whole gamut of tempi.

So, we're rolling it out in England first, but would there be a call, do U think, for such a night on a regular basis, be it Mids, London or Sco??

I'd appreciate your thoughts...

CJ

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Mariachi??

Im with you on that.

Would def be up for it. Esp if there was sopme more rocky tracks Keisers, Hard Fi, Arctic Monkeys etc.

I love guitar music, and we will try to support it if we can CJ. Especially if there's a chance of a little bit of Robert Cray

Wibble wibble

wi. . nah I'm lost

is this to dance to or listen to or just participate in or maybe it's darker and you are suggesting segregation of Non-Geeeetar playing types from Geeeeeetar types like the Westcoasters tried around here

Where's my copy of Catcher in the Rye

wibble

Yes please, especially if "Smoke on the Water" gets an airing.

London based dancer.

Wow, a night devoted to Mexican pop music. Just what I've been waiting for. Got your cummerbunds and big hats ready, lads?

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Wow, a night devoted to Mexican pop music. Just what I've been waiting for. Got your cummerbunds and big hats ready, lads?
    I must admit the first impression I got from "Mariachi" was something along the lines of "The Three Amigos".

Perhaps "Nirvana" might be a good brand -- especially with them having been a guitar band

SpinDr

I'm definately with you on this CJ, let me know when and where!

If it's in the South East I'd love to come!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I love guitar music, and we will try to support it if we can CJ. Especially if there's a chance of a little bit of Robert Cray
    DONE!!!! Will be sorted for Bromsgrove.

well, yeah... I've decided to stop wearing kilts, and this is my new look.

Quote Originally Posted by spindr View Post
    I must admit the first impression I got from "Mariachi" was something along the lines of "The Three Amigos".

Perhaps "Nirvana" might be a good brand -- especially with them having been a guitar band

SpinDr
    I'm thinking Antonio Banderas in Desperado, you're thinking Martin Short!!!

Nirvana was an option. Let's not forget Robert Plant's "Manic Nirvana" album!! It just seemed too close to "Utopia" and I would hate to confuse patrons, dancers, Ceroc orgs and those pesky COps, too!!!! So, it had to be called something which related to guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I'm definately with you on this CJ, let me know when and where!
    Sun 29th April. Bromsgrove tea dance is probably closest for you. 5-9: Mariachi is half of the evening.

Sat 12th May. Victoria Hall, Oakham. 7.30-01.30. This might be too far for U, Jamie, but I'd think U'd like the down and dirty stuff at the end... but the less said about U and dirty ends, the better!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Nirvana was an option. Let's not forget Robert Plant's "Manic Nirvana" album!! It just seemed too close to "Utopia" and I would hate to confuse patrons, dancers, Ceroc orgs and those pesky COps, too!!!! So, it had to be called something which related to guitar.
    Well, if you want to make sure it's guitar related and not to be confused with Ceroc, howabout:
    SpinDr

After people power (read "Forum power") has influenced Utopia and it's late opening in June, it got me to thinking....

I'm attempting a new thing which is called "Mariachi" which is aimed at playing all guitar music. It isn't as extreme, as say a rock nite, as it could be because it would draw from Latin, Rock, R'n'R, Blues, Country, etc. BUT, it absolutely would be guitar based. Also, it wouldn't be limited to fast only, slow only or even mid tempo only... It would try to cover all the whole gamut of tempi.

So, we're rolling it out in England first, but would there be a call, do U think, for such a night on a regular basis, be it Mids, London or Sco??

I'd appreciate your thoughts...

CJ
    DON'T FORGET SCOTLAND.......!!!!
    It would be great to have a night here too CJ. It sounds good to me..!

Sun 29th April. Bromsgrove tea dance is probably closest for you. 5-9: Mariachi is half of the evening.
    I'll be in Camber!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ
    Sat 12th May. Victoria Hall, Oakham. 7.30-01.30. This might be too far for U, Jamie, but I'd think U'd like the down and dirty stuff at the end...
    Nah not too far at all, it's not even as far south as fletch! I'll come to this methinks!
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ
    but the less said about U and dirty ends, the better!!!!!!!!
    What could you possibly mean by that?

Commercial Operator

Good luck with this venture CJ, hope it all goes well. Keep me posted on when you plan a Scottish one...

An Eclectic Toaster

Well, there's a very good Mexico City band called Los de Abajo, but they're a ska/hip-hop outfit so they might not fit with the vibe of CJ's night.

Saw them once at a WoMaD concert - superb.

Sun 29th April. Bromsgrove tea dance
    Ahh bloody typical - sunday's a work day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Good luck with this venture CJ, hope it all goes well. Keep me posted on when you plan a Scottish one...
    Same goes for me Robert, an event in Glasgow may relieve me from some of the dross that's going on at the moment and I don't just mean Ceroc, I'm getting bored with Leroc as well

Bromsgrove, tonight, Awesome!

The only problem I had was that most of the songs were just TOO good! (but I'm wierd and twisted like that) It was SOO good to dance to music that didn't make me cringe....lots more of the same, please!
    Loved it loved it loved it....Thanks, CJ!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythical View Post
    Bromsgrove, tonight, Awesome!

The only problem I had was that most of the songs were just TOO good! (but I'm wierd and twisted like that) It was SOO good to dance to music that didn't make me cringe....lots more of the same, please!
    Loved it loved it loved it....Thanks, CJ!!

I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but it was fab, the best set I have danced to in ages, so differnt

I will make every effort to be at the next in Leciester

OK CJ, I am not quite sure how to describe what happened tonight. But that was one of the most amazing sets I have ever heard It was impossible not to dance, even though some of the tracks were a bit challenging. Dancing to Stairway to Heaven was.... nothing like I would have imagined! Top top top top night!

Thank you

You guys may get along to longer Mariachi sets, different Mariachi sets, whatever.... but I was there at the first ever.... and it was frikkin awesome. Something was born tonight. Long may it live - and roll on the next one - I will be there come hell or high water!!!

Thread Information