Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The tolerant Beliefs thread

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: The tolerant Beliefs thread

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    "There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." (Romans 3:22b-23)
    All have sinned but all are justified through Christs redemption? so it doesn't really matter what you believe then, if we are redeemed anyway ! nice to know it's not a petulant god

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    All have sinned but all are justified through Christs redemption? so it doesn't really matter what you believe then, if we are redeemed anyway ! nice to know it's not a petulant god
    It needs to be read in context, though. And in context it's clear that it's talking about believers from different backgrounds, not "all" in the universal sense of "everyone in the world".

Petulance doesn't come into it, though. It's not the case that God has decided to save some but leaves the rest to rot. Rather, it's more like he's opened the door for everyone but we have to choose for ourselves whether or not we want to go through it.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    It needs to be read in context, though. And in context it's clear that it's talking about believers from different backgrounds, not "all" in the universal sense of "everyone in the world".

Petulance doesn't come into it, though. It's not the case that God has decided to save some but leaves the rest to rot. Rather, it's more like he's opened the door for everyone but we have to choose for ourselves whether or not we want to go through it.
    what if we're mentally unstable and cant make that choice ? or children, who know nothing of God until educated?

He was pretty petulant when he decided to flood the world and destroy every living thing on it, apart from what was on the Ark...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post
    He was pretty petulant when he decided to flood the world and destroy every living thing on it, apart from what was on the Ark...
    nah that was an "executive decision" not petulance

what if we're mentally unstable and cant make that choice ? or children, who know nothing of God until educated?
    I don't know. The Bible doesn't say anything about those, but it does emphasise that God loves everyone so I'm sure he knows what he's doing even if we don't.

Why petulant?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    Do people who don't believe in a God think, when they go dancing and meet someone else who doesn't believe in a God, "That's nice, they don't believe in God either"?
    It just struck me as a strange thing to say, is all.
    I know one who does. I'm not a strong atheist like himself, but I can sympathise. It's kinda like someone who doesn't watch TV finding someone else who doesn't watch TV. There can be bonding born of a shared abstention from a popular pastime. Plus, a shared belief in the absence of god allows for discussion of philosophical things like the purpose of the world, or the origins of religious belief, that aren't really possible with theists.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I know one who does. I'm not a strong atheist like himself, but I can sympathise. It's kinda like someone who doesn't watch TV finding someone else who doesn't watch TV. There can be bonding born of a shared abstention from a popular pastime. Plus, a shared belief in the absence of god allows for discussion of philosophical things like the purpose of the world, or the origins of religious belief, that aren't really possible with theists.
    although non-religion isn't something that you tend to start a conversation with, in the grand scheme of things, its not that important.

First star to the right and straight on till morning...

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I guess if you meet anyone with similar beliefs, opinions etc there is a common reality, common ground for discussion whatever they are.

Red face Re: The tolerant Beliefs thread

I believe there has been a great flood in every nation and religion, maybe good old darwin has a point...

Just wondering in there enough energy in the solar system to actually leave it? humm did you know all you need is a mirror and the sun!!! and rocket fuel is parafin! or was that beer?

I think everyone on the planet and alike should have and not impose there beliefs on others.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Can anyone name a war that has not been over religion or beliefs?

Ok there are a few but not many.

It makes you think. It makes you want to fight. I makes you feel that you are right about it and everyone else is wrong.

Am I talking about alcohol or religion?

nah that was an "executive decision" not petulance
    slightly off topic (but does deal with how "lesser beings" perceive supreme "deity's" and how "godlike" entities can/could misuse their powers) Ever read George R.R. Martin's SandKings (also used as the opening episode to the remake series "The Outer Limits" starring.. oh memory don't fail me now.. Jeff.. no sorry Beau Bridges!!)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Can anyone name a war that has not been over religion or beliefs?
    Most of them. Most wars are political. Religion can be a good reason to get people to fight, and to convince the populace that they have the moral high ground , but ultimately there is something to be gained by winning a war that is not religious in nature.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Most of them. Most wars are political. Religion can be a good reason to get people to fight, and to convince the populace that they have the moral high ground , but ultimately there is something to be gained by winning a war that is not religious in nature.
    I don't know, Always seems to be underlying there somewhere.

Look at the current middle east situ, The Jews of the two world wars the crusades etc.

Yes there was something political to them but there always seems to be a religious undertone.

My history is not that great so im not going to proclaim I am correct, but thats just the way it seems.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Look at the current middle east situ, The Jews of the two world wars the crusades etc.
    The middle east is chaotic and very feudal in places; power and corruption are rife. You can't pin the situation on "religion". Where did the jews come into WWI ? and in WWII the Nazis persecuted non-Christian non-white non-heterosexuals - there was not much of a specific anti-religious message there, more of an anti-non-aryan message. The Jews were targeted for more economic reasons then due to religion.

Even the crusades is an iffy one as it was as much to do with the Catholic church showing its power and claiming a territory as it was "islam vs christianity".

Course, thats just my take. Not researched this recently

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

The middle east is chaotic and very feudal in places; power and corruption are rife. You can't pin the situation on "religion". Where did the jews come into WWI ? and in WWII the Nazis persecuted non-Christian non-white non-heterosexuals - there was not much of a specific anti-religious message there, more of an anti-non-aryan message. The Jews were targeted for more economic reasons then due to religion.

Even the crusades is an iffy one as it was as much to do with the Catholic church showing its power and claiming a territory as it was "islam vs christianity".

Course, thats just my take. Not researched this recently
    As I say I don't know that much about history.

The current middle east issue is about power and land etc, but there is very much an muslim / western undercurrent to it.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

As I say I don't know that much about history.

The current middle east issue is about power and land etc, but there is very much an muslim / western undercurrent to it.
    yes but they just happen to all be muslim i.e. there is generally no such thing as atheism, as even hinting at it could have severe repurcussions. And "the west" is very secular. So wheres the religion? Its about "Power and Land" is much more accurate.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

yes but they just happen to all be muslim i.e. there is generally no such thing as atheism, as even hinting at it could have severe repurcussions. And "the west" is very secular. So wheres the religion? Its about "Power and Land" is much more accurate.

as I already have a few arguments and heated disccusions going on in other threads, im going to concide this one. *

* your prob right anyhow as my history and current affairs knowledge is cr@p

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

as I already have a few arguments and heated disccusions going on in other threads, im going to concide this one. *

* your prob right anyhow as my history and current affairs knowledge is cr@p
    bah you're too easy - i know nothing about this and could be knocked down to size by a mouse wielding a cotton-bud pudgel* stick

* those things outta Gladiators, if thats how you spell it

Thread Information