Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Divi Runs the London Marathon

Re: Divi Runs the London Marathon

Best of luck, Claire! Hope you really enjoy the occasion.

Blog Entries

Thank you everyone for all your fantastic words of encouragement - I've got my kit out ready, about to relace my shoes with the red charity laces and fix the timing chip, I've even sparkle-ised my running top with some spare swarovskis

Lots of carbs and water today, and then an early night....

I'm so excited!

Good Luck Darlin'

sounds you are all organised!!!

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Good LUck for Tomorrow Divi!!! Drink plenty water....make sure your socks don't rub... wear a hat... oh darn it... just really enjoy yourself!

Any news yet on how Divi did?

Nope - waiting to hear!

Blog Entries

Well, I don't have an official time yet (and I was so elated to cross the finish that I forgot to stop my watch for the first few minutes!) but I finished in about 5 hours 20 minutes!

The heat was pretty savage out on the course, but I was running with my brother Dan and we took it very slowly and made sure to take on plenty of fluids.

The highlight was running across Tower Bridge, and then a mile later seeing all our friends and family who had come out to support us And turning into the Mall with my bro was a pretty good feeling too - then running the last 200 metres as all the tiredness just seemed to lift from our shoulders

I was a bit disappointed that the Cutty Sark was completely invisible underneath all the restoration, but all the other landmarks were awesome as we ran past.

I came home and went for a quick lie down - and have only just woken up! But aside from being tired, I'm in quite good shape (only one small blister, some small areas of chafing and some patches of sunburn where I missed with my factor 50!). I have a feeling that it's all going to hurt in the morning

Well, CONGRATULATIONS!!! A fantastic achievement. I watched my Dad run it Years ago from Tower Bridge - best place as you see folk twice!! Hope you don't hurt too much tomorrow.

Well done Divissima!

I watched some of the marathon from the comfort of my bed and then struggled on a jog around the town.

So I really admire you for what you did. Fantastic!

Blog Entries

Here's a photo (taken by ChrisA and kindly provided by him) of me and my brother after finishing. Note the sparkles on my name!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Divissima; 22nd-April-2007 at 11:42 PM.

Oh Claire that is wonderful news and so glad you finished safe and sound after all the horror stories we were hearing on the news! Even spectators were passing out from the heat

Looking forward to seeing you soon and well done to Dan too!!!

Bex, Billco and the wee man!

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Well done Claire!

Blog Entries

Thank you everyone for all your kind words of support and congratulations - I can't begin to tell you the difference it has made having so much support from family, friends, colleagues and complete strangers both in the run-up to the day, and while on the course yesterday. It is difficult to describe the atmosphere on the course - it is so inspiring. There are very few stretches without people lining the route, often several people deep! Pubs and other businesses and organisations put on music and entertainments - we ran under a flyover to the sound of the Stomp drummers reverberating around us, and I will never forget the sight of the runners all doing the actions to YMCA along with the music as we passed one of the YMCAs along the route. The runners all encourage each other and whenever someone stopped, in difficulties with the heat, other runners checked to see they were OK and offered water and energy drinks and words of encouragement.

Running the marathon yesterday was a truly life-changing experience for me. I am fitter than I have ever been in my life, for a start. It also saw me fulfil one of my earliest ambitions. Yes, I'm afraid in 1980 when the first London Marathon was held, I sat in front of the TV as a child and thought 'I'm going to do that one day'. The ambition then fell into abeyance for 26 years! And I never seriously thought I would or could do it - until last year. To all those people who have said to me that they could never do it themselves, I would reply that until the marathon last year I thought the exact same thing. Watching my brother run it, and witnessing his enormous achievement just made me think 'I wonder if I could do that too'. Something got inside me and made me want to learn to run - and believe me, I did have to learn. When I did my first run in May of last year, I could not run two minutes without wanting to collapse, breathless, by the side of the road. But I set myself goals and found sensible training programmes, starting with a run/walk programme to build up to running continuously for 30 minutes, so that I could run a 5k race after three months and then a 10k race after five, and then entered the public ballot for the marathon thinking that if I got a place, then I would start training and see how I went.

I'm feeling a bit stiff today - the email I received from the Flora First Timer's website pretty much sums it up:
    Quote Originally Posted by Flora First Timers email
    Your heart will be in great shape now even if the rest of your body thinks you're an idiot.
    Bring on FLM 2008!

I would also like to share the great news that I have already surpassed my fundraising target - and donations are still coming in

P.S. Just checked the marathon site for my official time - 5:17:39
    My overall placing was 26,991st
    Last edited by Divissima; 23rd-April-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Posting official result

Divi, you are an inspiration for the rest of us. I was quite moved by your post. Well done, you should be really proud of yourself. Have some rep.

M

Congrats on finishig and well done, Divissima! It's one hell of an achievement!
    I envy you - I planned to run the marathon once, but my poor knees wouldn't have it!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    Divi, you are an inspiration for the rest of us. I was quite moved by your post. Well done, you should be really proud of yourself. Have some rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Divissima View Post
    When I did my first run in May of last year, I could not run two minutes without wanting to collapse, breathless, by the side of the road.
    I can really relate to this
    But I set myself goals and found sensible training programmes, starting with a run/walk programme to build up to running continuously for 30 minutes, so that I could run a 5k race after three months
    Over the last month, I've started walking for half an hour every morning and over the last week, I've tried to run a bit, on and off. At the moment, I literally set my sight on something like the next 2 lampposts, then spend the next 3 minutes walking, to recover.

So, believe me, you have my absolute admiration and yes, its extremely inspiring to read what you said above!

I've got a friend who's decided to join me on my walks, while her husband (who doesn't join us) stays at home with a personal trainer who comes to their house, anyway, the other day, the trainer casually asked, if 'we'd' all like to train to do a 5k run in July? I just laughed and replied, you ARE joking, aren't you? and left it at that but when I watched the highlights of the marathon yesterday, with lots of people looking even older than me .. the thought did cross my mind... hmm, I wonder if I could? (the 5k, I mean, not the marathon, of course )
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Brilliant Stuff Divi!!!!!

Those "Buns of Steel" must be "Buns of Titanium" by now!!!!!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Congratulations Claire, I imagine with all your training that you could now give ZW a run for her money on the clamping. Hope you are not feeling too sore today.

WOW! Congratulations Divi!!!
    Very Proud to know.. even if only on the Forum ...... a Marathon Finisher!

Mezzo

Glitter Queen

Congratulations!

Truely an inspiration, huge amounts of respect to you.
    S. xx

Thread Information