Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Divi Runs the London Marathon

Blog Entries

Divi Runs the London Marathon

As some of you will already know, in just over a week's time - on Sunday 22 April - I will be running the London Marathon

I have been in training since before Christmas and - unbelieveably for someone who had not run at all since school (except, occasionally, for a bus) - by the time I turn up on Blackheath for the start, I will have run over 350 miles in training for the event, including races of 6 miles (in January), 13 miles (in February) and 20 miles (in March). When I started training, I wasn't sure that I could really do it and it has been a revelation to me how much I had set boundaries for myself which (with a lot of sweat and determination) I have overcome.

Although I was lucky and got a place in the ballot, I have been raising money for the Stroke Association which, amongst its other work, funds research into prevention, treatment and better methods of rehabilitation, and helps stroke patients and their families directly through its community services. I chose to run for Stroke because my Gran died following a massive stroke, and because my Mum now volunteers at one of the weekly support groups run by Stroke at which members meet to have fun and regain social skills.

I wanted to support this charity because I believe it does a lot of good work. I have raised just under £700 so far via my page on the Just Giving website . Please sponsor me, if you would like to - my page is here.

I have been extremely grateful for and moved by all the support and encouragement I have received from so many of my friends from the dance world - thank you all

And finally, if anyone is going to the marathon as a spectator - please keep an eye open for me and give me a cheer as I plod past I'm not going to run a particularly fast time, but I intend to enjoy every minute of it

Re: Divi Runs the London Marathon

Go Divi!

I wish you every success in your plodding

We'll think of you whilst we're tucked up in bed at Chill

Divi, you are fantastic and have my utmost admiration. Go girl.

M

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

remember and wave at the cameras

wonder if i could do a marathon ...hmm...it would have to be in a smurf costume really

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    wonder if i could do a marathon ...
    If you wanted to, you could... of course, you have to be a bit bonkers to want to...

Quote Originally Posted by DS
    hmm...it would have to be in a smurf costume really
    True... but think of the chafing

Glitter Queen

Go Claire Go!!

Yes you're bonkers, but you deserve respect and admiration for running a marathon - I *know* without doubt I never could (and would never want to - but then I'm not bonkers ).

Lots of love and lots of luck!
    S. xx

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    Go Claire Go!!
    Yeah! You go girl!

you deserve respect and admiration for running a marathon - I *know* without doubt I never could
    Absolutely. And I could never do a marathon, either, but admire Divi for doing it!

but then I'm not bonkers
    *Cough, splutter!*

Of course you're not, dear. You just keep telling yourself that....

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

OH Wow!!

I run the race for life each year and it kills me! it's only 5km!

have a fab time and wave really big for the cameras!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    I run the race for life each year and it kills me! it's only 5km!
    That's how I started too - it just sort of grew from there...

have a fab time and wave really big for the cameras!
    Thank you I will - got some supporters lined up along the route at miles 14 and 22, so they will be a very welcome sight and will help keep me going

You know you have always been an inspiration to me and will continue to do so, even though I'm far far away.

Good luck and even though I can't be there in person to cheer you on, I'll be supporting you from here!!

Huge hugs!

Good luck. Having run it twice myself I know what you are facing!

Divissima, Mrs Par and wish you the very very bestest of good luck to add to your hours of training and endeavor.

I hope you make the distance and enjoy the participation.

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you... Go Do it Divi!

You are a STAR

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Divissima, Mrs Par and wish you the very very bestest of good luck to add to your hours of training and endeavor.

You are a STAR

GO GIRL!!

Hi Divi

I hope you are taking a break from training at the moment. I have already talked to Toby about the care and support package he needs to provide to help you through the day but here are a few things that may make things go better for you.

1) Don't train in the week before the event unless it is very light. It is too late to get training benefit and recover from it before the event. This is the time for you to avoid injury and for your muscles to stack up the energy reserves they will need. This will make you feel a bit sluggish - that is normal.

2) take with you to the start - a supply of toilet paper. trust me on this. The combination of long loo queues and big event nerve get to everyone. Also take a spare pair of shoe laces - you are unlikely to need them on the morning but people have had them snap as they lace up their shoes on Blackheath and it has really made their day tricky. Also take a bin liner to keep you dry and warm should it be cold or raining as you wait for the start - discard it when you are warm in the race.

3) Never be tempted to do the event in new shoes or socks no matter how appealing the registration exhibition vendors offers are. Do not run in anything that you have not tried and tested for 4 week previously.

4) When you find yourself tired NEVER look at your feet. Look at the buildings and the people and reward yourself with interesting features around town. Looking at your feet can really sap your will.

5) If you can (without violating 3 above) have your name put on a mesh running vest just above your race number. You can wear a T shirt underneath that can be swapped out if it gets too hot or too wet when you pass Toby or friends (part of your care package with them). When your fuel tank is empty it is amazing what a lift to your spirits hearing your name being called out from the crowd can be.

Have an amazing day doing something amazing. Looking at all the people doing the marathon I was struck by the thought of all these ordinary people doing something extraordinary - and the will that made them take it on.

I really wish I could be there somewhere along the course (about where the 'wall' would be) and shout your name really loudly.

If I shout loudly enough from WSM do you think you would hear me? I shall be willing you on with all the power and energy inside me.

M

This information only applies if they are using the same course as the one I ran on (last time was 1997)

If anyone does want to support Divi and/or pass supplies to her as she goes past then there is an area called Crowder Street just north of tower bridge that is a good spot.

Map of United Kingdom | Multimap.com

After the runners come over Tower bridge then then go down Royal Mint St and Cable street before turning left under a railway bridge and then right along the A13.

If the spectators stay at Crowder street they only have to walk a 100m to see the runners coming back off the Isle of dogs along the Highway.

You can then get to the London Underground to get to the finish post for the all important post finish photos and support.

You could also see here at the Cutty Sark and then use the Greenwhich foot tunnel to get over to the Isle of Dogs (gets really crowded though).

BTW make sure your kit bag has something very distinctive about it (like a flourescent ribbon) that will make it easy for the crews to find your one when you want to pick it up at the finish. You will not be wanting to hang around too long while they hunt for your kit bag.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    I hope you are taking a break from training at the moment. I have already talked to Toby about the care and support package he needs to provide to help you through the day but here are a few things that may make things go better for you.
    Hi Chef - thank you for all your great advice. It is much appreciated and tips duly noted - especially the toilet paper I've heard some worrying stories about the toilets along the course....

Those are also great tips for spectators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    You could also see here at the Cutty Sark and then use the Greenwhich foot tunnel to get over to the Isle of Dogs (gets really crowded though).
    I think there is some restoration work underway on the Cutty Sark this year, which will restrict access for spectators. There is a full map of the course and further information for spectators in this month's Runner's World magazine and on their forum here.
    Last edited by Divissima; 17th-April-2007 at 11:44 PM.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post

You are a STAR
    couldnt have said it better myself

all the best D!!!

Wishing you all the best on Sunday Divi , we'll be thinking of you and wish we could be there to cheer you on

I think you are amazing to do this and we look forward to celebrating with you when you've recovered!!

D

Wishing you all the best for your marathon you have my utmost admiration. Remember to enjoy it, smile & relax (hang on, is this running or dancing?).

And then you can tell us how it went on here and (a massage smilie) for the finish.

David.

Thread Information