Thread: A disturbing read

A disturbing read

There is a sizeable sick trade in childhood memoirs at the moment. Here are some entries from this week's Sunday Times top 10 best seller lists:

Paperback fiction

(1) Don't Tell Mummy - memoir of childhood abuse resulting in pregnancy

(4) Silent Sisters - siblings on surviving abuse by their father and husbands

(7) Betrayed - little girl accuses both her parents of sexual assault

Hardback fiction:

(2) Daddy's little girl - need I say more

(6) Our little secret - boy molested from age four

(7) Damaged - child abused by parents in paedophile ring

I hadn't realised just how deep rooted this country's obsession with paedophilia had become. What kind of people (and there are hundreds of thousands of them) revel in reading this material?

up the motorway, turn left, turn left, through the bends.......

Re: A disturbing read

Well i won't be reading any of them

Quote Originally Posted by Spin dryer View Post
    What kind of people (and there are hundreds of thousands of them) revel in reading this material?
    The author of the news article you're referring to gives her answer:
    This sick trade in childhood memoirs is an abuse, too-Comment-Columnists-Guest contributors-TimesOnline

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

All stems back from a book called "A child called IT" which was a really upsetting book. Made me cry. The Bloke (who's reall story it was) made loads of money, done 3 more books and a sudden boom in these things have now emerged.

Like everything, it's (and whilst I hate to make this sound insensitive to these people who have suffered abuse) jumping on the band wagon.

Different people deal with horrific situations in different ways. To some I am sure writing about their experience helps. I am sure it also helps other survivors not to feel alone in their own personal struggles. I read 'A Boy called IT' and like you WF I also shed some tears over the story.

Books more than other media are easy to avoid. Are these types of books sick? Not in my eyes, but then again they are not the sort of thing that I would usually seek out to read.

There is a sizeable sick trade in childhood memoirs at the moment. Here are some entries from this week's Sunday Times top 10 best seller lists:

{snip list}

I hadn't realised just how deep rooted this country's obsession with paedophilia had become. What kind of people (and there are hundreds of thousands of them) revel in reading this material?
    Just how many of these books have you actually read Spin dryer? I have read none of them so would not wish to comment on them. If you have read them then fair enough, I believe you have a right to comment but if not, well, you come across like the Daily Mail rent-a-columnist ranting against the latest play, film, TV show, whatever without bothering to actually see it.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Just how many of these books have you actually read Spin dryer? I have read none of them so would not wish to comment on them. If you have read them then fair enough, I believe you have a right to comment but if not, well, you come across like the Daily Mail rent-a-columnist ranting against the latest play, film, TV show, whatever without bothering to actually see it.
    If I'd passed comment on the literary merit of these books, then I'd agree with you. I have not, however, made any comment on their merit. I merely observe (prompted by the article in The Times to which Miguel refers) that it's rather surprising to find that nearly a third of the best selling fiction books are about child abuse. It's not the books themselves that are the subject matter of this thread; rather the public's apparent keen interest in books on this subject.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not in any way suggesting that books on this subject should be proscribed or criticised. I'm very liberal by nature. I'm only a supporter of Daily Mail ranting when it comes to tirades against the labour government and Cherie Blair!

Commercial Operator

There is a sizeable sick trade in childhood memoirs at the moment.

Are people reveling in reading this material?

Some people perhaps read these books to put their own lives into perspective.
    Some to understand and empathise.
    Some to feel less alone, perhaps having suffered in some way themselves.
    Some perhaps find that reading these books allows them to confront and exorcise incidents from their own pasts.
    Some people may well realise how well off they really are, however aggrieved they may be feeling with their own family.

I'm sure there are an awful lot of reasons why people in their thousands are reading these books - to suggest that this makes them sick and obsessed with paedophaelia makes me feel very uncomfortable.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post

Some people may well realise how well off they really are, however aggrieved they may be feeling with their own family.

I read 'A boy called IT' because it was lent to me and recommended. It did all of the 3 things mentioned above for me! Although TBH I didn't finish it all as I found it too depressing and upsetting.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    Are people reveling in reading this material?

Some to feel less alone, perhaps having suffered in some way themselves.
    Some perhaps find that reading these books allows them to confront and exorcise incidents from their own pasts.

I'm sure there are an awful lot of reasons why people in their thousands are reading these books - to suggest that this makes them sick and obsessed with paedophaelia makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I agree with all this, and I don't wish to make anyone feel uncomfortable.

Some years ago, I read a book called "The War Zone" (I can't remember the author). It was a brilliant, though profoundly disturbing novel about incest. It almost won the Booker prize, but rumour had it that it didn't because the subject matter was seen as too controversial. "The War Zone" is a great book, but I personally wouldn't wish to read another work like that again.

I'm not suggesting that anyone in particular who has read the books I mentioned is sick. It's just that for so many books of this genre to be in the best sellers list perhaps suggests an unhealthy preoccuption with the subject on the part of some whose reading isn't motivated by the factors you mention.

Some victims of abuse might find it cathartic to read these books. Others might find it painful that the issue is the subject of "entertainment" in popular novels.
    Last edited by Spin dryer; 10th-April-2007 at 01:06 AM.

Commercial Operator

I don't think there is anything wrong with these books as such. However I never have, nor will I ever even open one of them. The thought of reading anything about child abuse memories and having an insight into what some people have gone through is not something I wish to do.

Obviously many people feel very different than me though as so many of these books are on the bestsellers list.

Glitter Queen

SnowWhite has summed up what I was thinking exactly. I'm sure there are many reasons why people read novels such as these - and maybe it also goes to show that child abuse is far more widespread than we as general public maybe realise.

I too read "A boy called IT" - or at least I started it. It was reccommended to me. I never finished the book as I found it so graphic that I actually was nearly physically sick through reading it. I too, would never wish to read another book like that - it's not my idea of 'entertainment', which is the main reason why I read novels.

I did however read "My Sister's Keeper", which is not exactly about child abuse but it is about adults creating and then 'using' (in a manner of speaking) a child for their own purposes. A very good read, thought provoking, and I would be tempted to read another by the same author.

I guess it's all about horses for courses. Some people like horror movies even though they may be graphic and grotesque. The film "The Cider House Rules" was based around a similar topic to some of the books you mention - it was nominated for 8 Oscars and won 2...

Different people take different things from stories like these, and maybe we should see it as a good thing that people are no longer keeping the topic of child abuse behind closed doors?

I agree with all this, and I don't wish to make anyone feel uncomfortable.
    ... I'm not suggesting that anyone in particular who has read the books I mentioned is sick. It's just that for so many books of this genre to be in the best sellers list perhaps suggests an unhealthy preoccuption with the subject on the part of some whose reading isn't motivated by the factors you mention.

Some victims of abuse might find it cathartic to read these books. Others might find it painful that the issue is the subject of "entertainment" in popular novels.
    Okay - so where do you suggest that this 'discussion' might take place where it could not possibly, ever be entertainment? Why does it have to be a "sick trade"? What is it that makes you think that there is a sector of the population out there that have bought these books for reasons different than SnowWhite's suggestions?

My personal thought on why there might be so many books about childhood abuse are that it has been 'ignored' for such a long time and not been a 'nice' topic for discussion, that this is a bit like a release of pressure. After a number of years, there may well be far fewer books on this subject - hopefully because there is less childhood abuse and we are more comfortable with the subject and can discuss it openly without possibly being labeled sick. After all, at least you can read a book on your own without being branded anything unsavoury ... probably.

Commercial Operator

It's just that for so many books of this genre to be in the best sellers list perhaps suggests an unhealthy preoccuption with the subject on the part of some whose reading isn't motivated by the factors you mention.
    Or perhaps it could be that people in their droves want to believe in triumph over adversity - which is the ultimate bottom line of the majority of these books... a way of saying "I went through all of this - and I survived!"

There are an awful lot of people who could make radical improvements to their lives if they make the subtle shift in their emotions from 'victim' to 'survivor'. Could these books, with the subject matter just about as horrific as anyone can imagine, perhaps be a way for people to help themselves to make that emotional shift. Something along the lines of - if they can survive all of that, I can certainly survive this?

[quote=SnowWhite;360570]Or perhaps it could be that people in their droves want to believe in triumph over adversity - which is the ultimate bottom line of the majority of these books... a way of saying "I went through all of this - and I survived!"

There are an awful lot of people who could make radical improvements to their lives if they make the subtle shift in their emotions from 'victim' to 'survivor'. Could these books, with the subject matter just about as horrific as anyone can imagine, perhaps be a way for people to help themselves to make that emotional shift. Something along the lines of - if they can survive all of that, I can certainly survive this?

Excellent reply oh strong willed one.XXXXXXX
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 10th-April-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Different people deal with horrific situations in different ways. To some I am sure writing about their experience helps. I am sure it also helps other survivors not to feel alone in their own personal struggles. I read 'A Boy called IT' and like you WF I also shed some tears over the story.

Books more than other media are easy to avoid. Are these types of books sick? Not in my eyes, but then again they are not the sort of thing that I would usually seek out to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post

I read 'A boy called IT' because it was lent to me and recommended. It did all of the 3 things mentioned above for me! Although TBH I didn't finish it all as I found it too depressing and upsetting.
    "A child called it" I belive, was the first of these books. I completed the book but didn't read any of the follow ups (called "A Boy named IT" and "A Man named David" (or something along them lines))

"A C C IT" was a great book (in context). It was very sad and actually made my cry on a packed commutor train!!!

I think if people want to write about their experiances then let them. If people want to read about these experiances, then let them. "A C C IT" didn't make me want to go and treat my children in that way. If anything, it help promote an empathy towards the victims of this kind of treatment.

If you have never read "A C C IT" I would recommend it. It is about physical abuse rather than sexual but is very disturbing. I doubt anyone would be able to get any kind of kick out of it, and if they did, they would be so sick, they are prob already locked away.

Blog Entries

I find i just can not read anything that involves, abuse, sexual or otherwise of children. Its something that emotionally plays on my mind for a long time afterwards and i can actually be brought down by things like that.

One of the examples i can think off is the Jamie Bulger incident still plays on my mind even now and if i spend more than 5 mins thinking about it i cry and become very emotional and im not an emotional person generally. I am the same with books and any true stories that cause child misery of any kind.

Why this is, i dont really know. I can read about anything else and be fine.

There's a few films I wish I'd never seen. A few books I wish I'd never read.

"Social screw-ups like ourselves should have some kind of outlet. When I was doing comics ever month and going to conventions and store signings and the whole thing, I had this theory that everyone in the comics business, myself included, was suffering from some social pyschosis they hadn't worked through from their childhood. Whether they were writing, drawing, etc - it was all either an outlet or an escapism for some inner complex. I mean superheroes for Buddhas's sake. Masks, secret identities. It all screams of a need to live through a fictional persona.

So what happened to your theory Einstein?

Hm. That theory fell apart when I realised that everyone was screwed up.

Everyone has a face that they use relate to society - and one they conceal. It's just that people with similar problems tend to stick together."
    ~ David Mack's "Kabuki, Masks of the Noh"

Love that quote and the cover. Really wish I hadn't read the book though

Thread Information