Thread: Naval hostages selling their story

Naval hostages selling their story

So, any views?

The Sun Online - News: Faye's amazing hostage story

Personally i don't think that they should have been allowed to sell their story. If they so wished then the Ministry of Defence could have put out proper statements. Selling it to the newspapers can produce a conflict of interest as the newspapers will want to sell as many newspapers as possible... Even in the event that they have then they should put it all to charity. I understand that faye Turney has donated some money to HMS Cornwall although i don't know how much

Re: Naval hostages selling their story

I know its a bit different, but many years ago I had the opportunity to sell a story to the papers.

I was approached by a reporter, after a discussion and the exchange of phone numbers, she got back to me with an offer of ££££ I decided not to do it, when I look back I still don't really know why I didn't, its probably the type of thing I would do, so i'm not sure why, it might have been the fact they were looking for sex, and, drug. and rock&roll, my story hadn't got all those elements perhaps I didn't want people knowing I wasn't quite as cool as they thought I was.

Funny a few months later I opened the 'News of the World' to see another young lady with the story they were wanting to run on me. I haven't got a problem with them selling there story, that's there choice.

Just because someone is in the armed forces does this mean that they have less human rights than joe public. These are not second class citizens so they have every right to sell their stories. I understand the official secrets act etc, but at the end of the day it seems to be the navys fault that led them to being captured and humiliated on the worlds media.

15 sailors captured for straying into Iranian waters. 14 men 1 women. Doesn’t take a genius to work out who was the reading map

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Just because someone is in the armed forces does this mean that they have less human rights than joe public. These are not second class citizens so they have every right to sell their stories. I understand the official secrets act etc, but at the end of the day it seems to be the navys fault that led them to being captured and humiliated on the worlds media.
    Then write as book (or ghost write, etc...). Selling ur story to the papers?!?!?
    (No offence Fletch, but) I'd expect military personnel to conduct themselves with just a little more class.

Yes, they have a toothless mandate. Yes, they were given bows and arrows and sent to a gun fight. Yes, the rules of engagement now involve lots of shouting, then surrender in a New British kind of way. Still, I expect better: not Big Brother Contestant stuff

FWIW, Dave, yes they have rights too.

What a sorry state of affairs....

Lets face it if we had the opportunity to make a 6 figure sum for selling a story we would all do it, if it did not harm anyone else. The Iranian regime can be excused any harm in this one.

Cynical British propoganda. We are going to hear about the nasty Iranians. Other servicemen who might have tales of nasty *******s (fill in with your own prejudices) that might stray from the official line are definitely not allowed to publish.

Well I know I will be riveted by the story of how they bravely surrendered, how they then courageously smoked the free cigarettes they were given. I can't wait to read the details of how they heroically appeared on TV to apologise (surrender first, apologise later - the new approach to the theatre of war). I will pore over every single syllable and marvel at the way they stoically and bravely collaborated with Iran to embarrass the British government. Who wouldn't want to read about how they got gifts and clothes from the president of Iran in payment for the sterling job they did humiliating the British people. Why shouldn't these heroes get a six figure sum? The lads that are coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan without limbs or in body bags get the same sort of six figure payout treatment from the press after all; don't they?

The only drawback I can see is the need to wait for the texts to be translated from French into English before I can read them. Surrender and collaboration is a subject that is far closer to the hearts of the French after all - this whole affair makes me feel so continental

Blog Entries

I was more concerned that they both came off looking like fat, hopeless, losers and one day they may be called upon to defend us all.
    It's one thing writing a book about how you escaped from Saddam's special forces, avoided recapture and nearly died whilst trekking across the desert to freedom, it's quite another telling everyone how you cried yourself to sleep because the Iranians stole your ipod, called you Mr. Bean and made you wear a fake Hugo Boss shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    for the sterling job they did humiliating the British people.
    In just what way are you feeling humiliated by this affair SB?

I keep seeing the title of this thread and thinking of tiny people trapped in someone's belly button

Blog Entries

its all very embarassing and has been handled very badly on all sides. These so called soldiers were used by the Iranians (not sure why are what they hoped to achieve by it) and Britain showed its true colours when it comes to soldiers who are at the end of day just numbers and not worthy of any help or aid by the Government full stop. Not only do we show that we will not save our soldiers when taken hostage or held but we also allow them to snivel and moan about the time they had whilst being held. At the end of the day they are lucky to have walked away with their lives. IMO Its wrong that they have sold their stories or been allowed too.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Then write as book (or ghost write, etc...). Selling ur story to the papers?!?!?
    (No offence Fletch, but) I'd expect military personnel to conduct themselves with just a little more class.
    What's the difference between a book and a newspaper article?

Is it just about class? Maybe it'd be OK for these folks to sell their stories to a better class of newspaper?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    What's the difference between a book and a newspaper article?

Is it just about class? Maybe it'd be OK for these folks to sell their stories to a better class of newspaper?
    Try writing a book, then be interviewed for a newspaper article. I look forward to your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Try writing a book, then be interviewed for a newspaper article. I look forward to your answer.
    If the book is ghost-written, it couldn't differ that much from a well-written newspaper feature.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

My brother is in the armed forces and had he sold his stories, I would have been quite shocked but quite pleased because I might get a car out of it all.

Therein lies the nub.

A six fgure sum/pure self interest (oK a percentage to charity always cleans up the money?) vs patriotism/ professional discretion

As a lawyer, I would get into trouble if I sold stories to newspapers (and I have some interesting ones!) about clients. I had a chance to appear on the Dispatches programme and get paid for it as well (small sum for my firm) but at the end of the day I thought that it might prejudice my client's contemplated action against the police (my bloke in his mid sixties;six and a half stone; 15 stone copper; CS Gas; 18 inches.........disgusting). So I advised my client to pull out and we did. The journo freaked out on me but the more he pushed me, the more that polarised me and made me resent the manipulation. ( And me and the barrister had been thinking about getting on the box and then having our own TV programmes. Mine was football.)

Should people who are paid to defend this nation be allowed to exercise a lower standard of integrity?

Mind you, has anyone ever thought that this might be some kind of intelligence ploy? Ie, yes you can take the money if you say A, B and C? If so, then I am for it!!!!!!

As a still serving member of the armed forces (about 4 weeks to go...then I'm free!), I would pat them on the back and say well done.

When one 'signs up', it's normally with a huge feeling of self pride and patriotism...give it six months in the mob then ask the same person how they then feel. I'm making an educated guess they'll say...

"unappreciated (sp?), rarely thanked for their efforts, used and abused and persistantly required to do more and more and more...because of redundancies" ...or something along those lines.

The UK is not at war with Iran and if they have any sense whatsoever, they will not get into a hostile environment with Iran. To have sent in some kind of Hollywood style rescue mission would have seriously pi$$ed the Iranians off and made matters worse. Sometimes it's better to let things naturaly unfold and see what happens.

To us it appeared like they were all having a very nice time in captivity. I'm sure however they were all absolutely cacking themselves over what could have happened, and it's at times like that that make you re-evaluate your position and what really is important...defending a nation of strangers, half of which think you're scum, the other half who'd give you a cursory pat on the back for a job well done or ensuring beyond doubt that you will go home and be reunited with the partners and family you love.

If you guys all want to stick up for a bunch of strangers instead of seeing your families again then join up, enjoy the heady atmosphere of institutionalised racism, sexism and everything else-ism, give me a shout at the end of your 'tour' and we'll discuss it all over again.

The financial recompense they have received for their stories will hopefully help there families live a more comfortable life (their main priority) and if they have any sense at all they'll soon leave the Royal Navy for better things.

Thread Information