Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Losing the passion

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

Re: Losing the passion

I am in that flat period at the moment regarding dancing, I still go to the odd freestyle but do not go to my local venue as that went off a long time ago with bad music, no experiance dancers to dance with etc, also I have been filling my time with non dancing activities going up and down the country seeing friends and family plus some great walks in the lakes. I have a dance holiday in dec but I am going to Spain with non dancing friends, and no weekenders booked this year but there again that was because women places was gone and my friends tend to differ and I don't like to book on my own, as i like to socalise. I hope i will get back that buzz but I need to try other forms of dancing as i want do classes again which I have been bored with the mj classes and need a challange.

I'm having a lapse in enthusiasm as well. I get frustrated as most of the time its going through the same motion as I can't remember that many moves and stuff. So I get bored with the same old stuff. Yes ok I can play with different styles, but then that can get boring too.

I find it does help when I'm dancing with really good ladies as then they insert their own sabotages and playfullness and we do some new stuff.

Its why I don't just do Jive. I also do Salsa and Argentine Tango, gives a bit of variation. Even then, my lack of ability to remmeber moves is very frustrating. Fortunately my Tango partner is very forgiving.

I've kind of lost the passion for dancing at the moment, too. Hang on, I've also lost the passion for my work, and for most other things..... I think I just need to escape for a while. Not entirely sure if running away will actually solve any problems, but it's very tempting!

Somewhere sunny, with very few people about, nice warm water to go swimming in, and a stack of good books would be nice. But I'd probably get bored with that as well after a couple of days!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Somewhere sunny, with very few people about, nice warm water to go swimming in, and a stack of good books would be nice. But I'd probably get bored with that as well after a couple of days!
    Sounds like an excellent idea!

I actually enjoyed myself last night! Not my best evening of dancing, but I didn't feel flat and depressed. Encouraging, esp as I'm heading off to WSM next weekend! (I know the company will be good and there will be some fabby dancers to watch, so even if I don't feel like dancing much it will be a good weekend.)

Was going to post my weekend experiences at Utopia and Funky Lush in the weekend thread but figured it might be more appropriate in this one as at both events I didn't really feel like dancing. That seems a strange thing to say about a dance event but it's how I felt. Socially, both were good, music was fine and very listenable even if you were not dancing but I just didn't have that enthusiasm to dance with people and my view was that it was better to sit and talk and listen to the music than to 'go through the motions'. I had 17 dances at Utopia in 3.5 hours - the fact I can remember the number shows how few it was. Unfortunately some people cannot understand that you can be satisfied sometimes going to a dance event and just chatting and enjoying the social aspect and they think I am declining the offer of a dance because I don't like them and/or don't like dancing with them. Sometimes this may be true, as in the case of ******* but usually it's not so don't take it as so.

Rob

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    . . Sometimes this may be true, as in the case of ******* but usually it's not so don't take it as so.

Rob
    to you too

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Thanks to a couple of forumites for the suggestion (and one in particular for making it possible ) I went for this option. And it worked!

A couple of weeks break and I felt like going out dancing last night. I really enjoyed the freestyle time, catching up with folk I hadn't danced with for a while, dancing with some totally new people.

The main thing is - I had fun dancing! I'm back!

It felt soooo good to enjoy myself dancing again. And I know, if I get a dancing low again, a break might be just what I need. Thanks to all for advice and sharing experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    The main thing is - I had fun dancing! I'm back!

welcome back

Blog Entries

yeah welcome back Lynn glad to hear your back on track.......

Anyway, i lost the passion, once in my life, i found reading a mills and boons book soon brought it back again..

On me own at the time tho. !!

Thanks. Not enjoying dancing was really upsetting me - I had to leave freestyles early as I didn't want to get upset and bring other people down. Knowing that I had in the past got a lot of joy from dancing and wondering if that would ever come back, that real 'this is so much fun!' feeling, was difficult.

So feeling like that on Wed - I enjoyed every single dance - was such a relief.

I know others have said they felt jaded about their dancing and did get the fun back, but I know there must be people for whom that hasn't happened - they're not going to be on here or about as they've given up completely. I was worried that might happen to me.

So glad it hasn't - and others could tell by the big grin on my face all Wed night!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Had a conversation with BlueEyes last night. We are considering the Western champs and have been practising almost every night for the last few weeks. I really feel like I have lost the ability to dance at the mo and feel pretty down about it.

I found that I wasn't enjoying it as I was doing the same moves over and over again to the same music again and again. This norm isn't a problem if you go once a week, but to hear 'fire' every night for 5-6 nights in a row gets really demoralising. Makes it worse when you dont do classes as you are out the back working out comp stuff.

I think this problem is worse for men as women are more likely to get varied dances than the men. Women are going to be put in different moves almost every dance they have, where as us men are doing the same moves over and over.

Thread Information