View Poll Results: Are you happy with the moderation levels.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy as it is.

15 34.09%
  • It's over-moderated.

21 47.73%
  • It's under-moderated

7 15.91%
  • Don't particularly care.

6 13.64%
  • I want to be a moderator too!

1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Moderation levels.

Commercial Operator

Re: Moderation levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    that makes for a constructive argument in the debate 'is the forum over moderated and is this poll representative enough to be used as an augument'.
    This is, again, complete rubbish. Not because it is wrong. But because it is out of context. The complete rubbish Caro posted is below.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD !!!!!!!!! give it a rest !
    I said that I'd never received an infraction from Franck for changing a quote and putting in a swear word. I'd never complained about this before. Therefore I can not take a rest from it. I complained once and would have left it there. Unlike Caro who has moaned and moaned and moaned and moaned...

.. and took the name of our Lord in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by God
    You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I said that I'd never received an infraction from Franck for changing a quote and putting in a swear word.
    oh you mean you haven't got that one in your collection yet?

I'd never complained about this before. Therefore I can not take a rest from it.
    I have never had an infraction for changing a quote, being insulting, fit in an advert in, AND use bold size 7 Garamond blue font, can I moan about it ?

Unlike Caro who has moaned and moaned and moaned and moaned...
    that's a joke, isn't it?
    Who exactly has being moaning about receiving infractions at every single opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by God
    You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.
    oooooh I'm scared

Originally Posted by God
    (snip)
    how's that by the way for 'make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God'

Commercial Operator

A majority is a majority. Of those that voted the majority agree with me.
    Voting the way you voted is not necessarily the same as agreeing with you (I did, yet I don't). Regardless, it looks like there's been a last-minute upset at the polls...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Voting the way you voted is not necessarily the same as agreeing with you (I did, yet I don't). Regardless, it looks like there's been a last-minute upset at the polls...
    However, if it was an election, the "Overmoderated" candidate would still be 16.67% ahead in the poll

.. and I really see no reason to respond to Caro's post.

I think that the remaining 2310 members* could be said to be in the Don't particularly care. grouping; which I'm afraid puts your statistics for any of the level of moderation in the 'why did I bother standing?' category.

(* or 813 'active' members, but that's not qute as impressive )

I come to this forum from the chaos of unmoderated newsgroups. I have been irritated, (sometimes mistakenly ) by some of the moderators decisions, but it is a small price to pay for the advantages.

Way back I was a victim of a mass redundancy and took an evening cleaning job rather than claim dole. There were many complaints about the teams performance, very many unjustified, and very few serious, but they were neglible compared to the state the block would have been in if there were no cleaners at all. I put up with the ocassional irritation in the knowledge of what the forum could be like if there were no moderators.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I come to this forum from the chaos of unmoderated newsgroups. I have been irritated, (sometimes mistakenly ) by some of the moderators decisions, but it is a small price to pay for the advantages.

Way back I was a victim of a mass redundancy and took an evening cleaning job rather than claim dole. There were many complaints about the teams performance, very many unjustified, and very few serious, but they were neglible compared to the state the block would have been in if there were no cleaners at all. I put up with the ocassional irritation in the knowledge of what the forum could be like if there were no moderators.
    I don't think people are complaining and leaving the forum because it's moderated. They are doing so because there has been a change in moderation that is not to their liking. I was completely satisfied by the old moderation style and continued to post in the way that style permitted. I did not change, the moderation did. I feel that it is reasonable to comment on a change that you do not like. If the forum had been this way from the start I would not have complained, I could have chosen to join or not join. This is a completely different situation as it is the forum that has changed to one that doesn't suit my style in the same way as the old one

I don't think people are complaining and leaving the forum because it's moderated. They are doing so because there has been a change in moderation that is not to their liking. [...]
    You keep talking of people who have left the forum due to over-moderation, but I see no evidence of it. I know one or two significant members who appear to have stopped posting due to a relatively lax moderation policy.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

IMHO it is real easy, get rid of normal moderation..

Insist that all members have personal details available, real name, venue, status and e-mail address. Maybe even phone number.

Then get real, stick to what you say.

Only when it gets "freaky" - i.e. stalkers... time to bannish

Otherwise, let people have their say...

Commercial Operator

However, if it was an election, the "Overmoderated" candidate would still be 16.67% ahead in the poll
    ...until the Happy People form a coalition with the Undermoderated people, and blow him out of the water

.. and I really see no reason to respond to Caro's post.
    Then why do you keep doing so?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    IMHO it is real easy, get rid of normal moderation..

Insist that all members have personal details available, real name, venue, status and e-mail address. Maybe even phone number.

Then get real, stick to what you say.

Only when it gets "freaky" - i.e. stalkers... time to bannish

Otherwise, let people have their say...
    that was all suggested on another thread , by Gav i believe, and shot down

Commercial Operator

...until the Happy People form a coalition with the Undermoderated people, and blow him out of the water
    That would never happen, each group has such different and incompatible policies on Europe, Defence, Women's Rights and Global Warming.

Then why do you keep doing so?
    Stop giving the game away. Some people aren't as intelligent as you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    that was all suggested on another thread , by Gav i believe, and shot down
    I wonder why?

Stop giving the game away. Some people aren't as intelligent as you
    Don't mistake peaceful wisdom for idiocy

Commercial Operator

That would never happen, each group has such different and incompatible policies on Europe, Defence, Women's Rights and Global Warming.
    You think? I've been lobbying. Over the past few hours, each of said groups has agreed to adopt the Euro. We've lumped the next two items together, and have all signed a common Women's Rights Defence Policy, and we've all moved house to higher ground, to take our stand against global warming. It's amazing what you can accomplish if you put your mind to it.

Stop giving the game away. Some people aren't as intelligent as you.
    Well - I'm clearly not quite intelligent enough to understand this quote. It seems sensible on the surface, but what could it mean?

• 'Some people' could refer to Caro, but that's clearly not it, 'cos she's obviously a smart cookie,
    • 'Some people' could refer to everyone else on the forum, but that would suggest you're adopting a ...'Utopian'... strategy when it comes to public relations, and you've always struck me as too sensible for that.
    • Or it could be one of these triple-bluff-sarcasm-strikes where you're actually suggesting that I'm the unintelligent one for constantly pointing out the obvious. Wonder if I should take offence at that? Hmmm.

Commercial Operator

Well - I'm clearly not quite intelligent enough to understand this quote. It seems sensible on the surface, but what could it mean?

• 'Some people' could refer to Caro, but that's clearly not it, 'cos she's obviously a smart cookie,
    • 'Some people' could refer to everyone else on the forum, but that would suggest you're adopting a ...'Utopian'... strategy when it comes to public relations, and you've always struck me as too sensible for that.
    • Or it could be one of these triple-bluff-sarcasm-strikes where you're actually suggesting that I'm the unintelligent one for constantly pointing out the obvious. Wonder if I should take offence at that? Hmmm.
    Or it could be a throw-away line which was never given that amount of thought ...

.. maybe

Or it could refer to emotional intelligence

'Some people' could refer to Caro, but that's clearly not it, 'cos she's obviously a smart cookie,

Or it could be a throw-away line which was never given that amount of thought ...
    From you? - how surprising - no wonder Stray would have never thought of that

I know that arguing with Mr McGregor is like wrestling with a pig in **** ...

So why, oh why am I unable to resist?

Andy, you're one of the Old Guard who has been on the forum since the olden golden days. Sadly, those days are gorn, never to return. You could see this as the forum being a victim of its own popularity - and to a certain extent this is true. Trying to manage a community of over 2000 people is different from managing one of only 200. In a smaller community, big personalities like you can be indulged because "everyone" knows that you're actually a genuinely nice guy. You could say stuff that would raise the reaction of "TROLL" if an unknown newcomer said it.

Unfortunately, this can't happen in a larger community. Rules have to be clearer and stricter and as people don't "know" each other so well, moderators have to apply more consistency. Bottom line of all this is that some people are resistant to change. There's no point trying to change it back again. Ain't gonna happen. IMO, the best policy is to adapt. Otherwise eventually even those who love you will get pissed off by your constant attacks against the way things work. The only other alternative is to open your own forum - then you can have it exactly the way you want it.

Commercial Operator

From you? - how surprising - no wonder Stray would have never thought of that
    I only said "could be". I was just adding to Stray's options. It's all part of the he-said-she-said that normally kills off an interesting thread.

This thread is about moderation levels. It is not about how clever, or othewise, Caro is. It is not an opportunity for Stray to show that he is not quite as clever as Caro. It is not even an opportunity to debate the democratic process.

This thread starts with a poll asking people what they think about moderation levels on this forum. And the result is amongst those who still visit here and care enough to vote. We can not say how those who no longer visit would have voted and we can not guess why they stopped voting or how they would vote.

I believe that it is significant that such a high proportion of responders state that they think this Forum is over moderated. I also believe that it sends a strong message to the moderators.

On the subject of Caro's comments about my bleating on about over moderation and the actions of moderators, this is, IMHO, inappropriate when it comes on this thread. This thread is about that very topic, to criticise me on this thread for staying on-topic is therefore wrong. However, please feel free to criticise me on other threads for bleating on about over-moderation, but only when I've done so in a way that diverts the debate

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    you're actually a genuinely nice guy.
    Admit it, you fancy me, don't fight it

Thread Information