View Poll Results: Are you happy with the moderation levels.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy as it is.

15 34.09%
  • It's over-moderated.

21 47.73%
  • It's under-moderated

7 15.91%
  • Don't particularly care.

6 13.64%
  • I want to be a moderator too!

1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Moderation levels.

Commercial Operator

Re: Moderation levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    See....see...I told you.....they're all out to get me.......
    The little gray men in their little white coats are coming to take you away....

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Using logical argument to try and persuade Andy McGregor of anything doesn't strike me as a particularly good showing of 'common sense'.
    I thought I was supposed to be the catty one around here

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Supersize?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Maybe not as much as you think.....?
    In front of such a profound and compelling argumentation I have no choice but to admit defeat and bow to your witty wisdom, Sirs

I'll have the diet coke by perfusion in fact

you think that if it cures me from paranoia Barry could be convinced it was a miracle? or is that a different thread...

Using logical argument to try and persuade Andy McGregor of anything doesn't strike me as a particularly good showing of 'common sense'.
    Damn why did nobody warn me of such things?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

WHAT ARE YOU ALL ON ABOUT?

Its only a forum for goodness sake. I am one of the handful of people who was on the old forum before Franck got the vBulletin software, in those days it was purely an extension of the Ceroc Scotland site. The majority of people who posted , I either knew personally or had heard of and it was very much a community forum. Its grown some way beyond that now.

Franck had no specific policies to do with posts or threads to begin with, after several incidents extra areas were created to handle "dodgy threads" and extra moderators were brought in to tidy up threads and watch for innappropriate posts. Recently , we have had even more moderators*. Each change has been brought about by what was necessary at the time.

I remember when 500 registered members was a major milestone, we are now at 2,336 registered members. All of the recent changes are predictable. If this was MY forum I would delete threads like this - this thread is purely about admin of a forum which is none of your business . The fact that Franck doesnt and is interested in our opinion says a lot for him.

I introduce your host Franck Pauly...someone who has NO NEED TO CONTINUE FUNDING AN EXPENSIVE TO RUN WEBSITE JUST SO YOU LOT CAN WHINGE CONSTANTLY ABOUT IT

* each more beautiful than the last...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    [...] more moderators*. [...]

I think I might have been the last appointed. Or do I mean most recently?!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

OK folks, DS has made a nearly serious post. We must be at Defcon 1.

He's right though. Except (thinking about the order Lory, DJ) about successive moderators becoming increasingly beautiful.

Commercial Operator

WHAT ARE YOU ALL ON ABOUT?

]
    Who asked for your opinion likes....eh.....

Commercial Operator

Its only a forum for goodness sake.
    This is, of course, total rubbish. This is the real world. What you experience outside is the 'only'...

I used to post on this forum regularly. Many times a day. Nowadays I post rarely. That change is entirely due to a change in moderation.
    I think that the joining of an individual can make the forum much less fun and raise the temperature for some people more than others. I used to post here a lot. Then an individual started picking on me, over and over again and the resultant arguments made me look bad. I used reaching 5,000 posts as a convenient way to exit what was becoming a silly situation for me.
    I am confused. Could you explain the discrepancy between these two differing explanations of why you don't post as often any more?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I am confused. Could you explain the discrepancy between these two differing explanations of why you don't post as often any more?
    :yawn: The 5,000 post thing was a simple divice similar to stepping outside to cool off and let my antagonist hear the sound of one hand clapping - it was personal. The current situation is completely different. The forum has changed, it's not personal, it's just a change in policy, but I don't like it and neither do others. It's a bit like your local pub taking out the pool table

And, yes, Martin Harper is confused - about many things

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Franck had no specific policies to do with posts or threads to begin with, after several incidents extra areas were created to handle "dodgy threads" and extra moderators were brought in to tidy up threads and watch for innappropriate posts. Recently , we have had even more moderators*. Each change has been brought about by what was necessary at the time.

I remember when 500 registered members was a major milestone, we are now at 2,336 registered members. All of the recent changes are predictable. If this was MY forum I would delete threads like this - this thread is purely about admin of a forum which is none of your business . The fact that Franck doesnt and is interested in our opinion says a lot for him.

I introduce your host Franck Pauly...someone who has NO NEED TO CONTINUE FUNDING AN EXPENSIVE TO RUN WEBSITE JUST SO YOU LOT CAN WHINGE CONSTANTLY ABOUT IT

I don't have much to add to that, the Forum is ever growing, everyone is welcome, and all we (myself and the moderators) have to do is try to keep things civilised and manageable.

Infractions are really no big deal, just warnings that you have crossed the line. You receive temporary points (just like points on your license for speeding but no fine) and after a few days, the points disappear. If you accumulate over 10 points you get a temporary automatic ban until your points expire.

It's disappointing that Andy McGregor and Dance Demon are over-reacting and being so paranoid, the reasons for the infractions were perfectly justified and explained by PM at the time: Deliberately editing a quote attributed to another forumite to add offensive words is definitely a line that I would rather not see crossed, even if the forumite concerned saw the humour.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post

It's disappointing that Andy McGregor and Dance Demon are over-reacting and being so paranoid, the reasons for the infractions were perfectly justified and explained by PM at the time
    sheesh........I thought this thread had died three days ago......Yes my infraction was explained by PM, and I replied by PM. Surprised to see it being discussed in open forum now.

Deliberately editing a quote attributed to another forumite to add offensive words is definitely a line that I would rather not see crossed, even if the forumite concerned saw the humour.
    You've already explained that to me....or is the bit in bold for the benefit of others, so that they don't do the same?

Anyway.....maybe letting sleeping dogs lie is best in this instance?

Commercial Operator

It's disappointing that Andy McGregor and Dance Demon are over-reacting and being so paranoid, the reasons for the infractions were perfectly justified and explained by PM at the time: Deliberately editing a quote attributed to another forumite to add offensive words is definitely a line that I would rather not see crossed, even if the forumite concerned saw the humour.
    I don't think any of the infractions I've received were for this reason

Dance Demon and Andy McGregor are the ones who have stayed*. We're hoping to effect a change from within. Others have simply left

*maybe we had nowhere else to go....

Commercial Operator

I don't have much to add to that, the Forum is ever growing, everyone is welcome, and all we (myself and the moderators) have to do is try to keep things civilised and manageable.

Infractions are really no big deal, just warnings that you have crossed the line. You receive temporary points (just like points on your license for speeding but no fine) and after a few days, the points disappear. If you accumulate over 10 points you get a temporary automatic ban until your points expire.
    Hey Franck, take a look at the result of this poll. The MAJORITY of members of your Forum think that it is over moderated. And what is a forum for if not for it's members. The Forum has spoken and it has said FREEDOM!

Commercial Operator

Hey Franck, take a look at the result of this poll. The MAJORITY of members of your Forum think that it is over moderated. And what is a forum for if not for it's members. The Forum has spoken and it has said FREEDOM!
    Well - looking at the figures, that's not entirely true...

We have 17 votes for over-moderated.
    If you add together the votes for 'happy as it is', 'under-moderated', and 'don't care', you get eighteen votes - and all of those disagree with 'over-moderated'

If you make it a little fairer by taking DS' three votes on the 'not over-moderated/don't care' side & making them one vote that comes down to 17 votes for 'over-moderated' and 16 against - so you have a teensy little majority, yes. Just not much of one.

As for freedom - sounds like a different issue. You could always start a poll?

I don't think any of the infractions I've received were for this reason
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD !!!!!!!!! give it a rest !

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    If you make it a little fairer by taking DS' three votes on the 'not over-moderated/don't care' side & making them one vote that comes down to 17 votes for 'over-moderated' and 16 against - so you have a teensy little majority, yes. Just not much of one.
    plus given that the people who feel the forum is overmoderated are very vocal in doing so, and given the dismissive and contemptuous nature of some posts refering to people who think it's under-moderated, I'd add that it is also a tad biaised towards not encouraging less vocal members, who might feel it is fine or under-moderated, to vote on a public poll.

Commercial Operator

We have 17 votes for over-moderated.
    If you add together the votes for 'happy as it is', 'under-moderated', and 'don't care', you get eighteen votes - and all of those disagree with 'over-moderated'

As for freedom - sounds like a different issue. You could always start a poll?
    A majority of one is still a majority and will win you an election - or lose you one if you're the the person with one less vote. At least it always was when I was a politician.

So what is the point of posting that I'm only just correct? I am correct that the majority of people think the forum is over moderated. Caro is talking complete rubbish, of course, and I won't even comment about her blasphemous post

Caro is talking complete rubbish, of course...
    that makes for a constructive argument in the debate 'is the forum over moderated and is this poll representative enough to be used as an augument'.

Commercial Operator

A majority of one is still a majority and will win you an election - or lose you one if you're the the person with one less vote. At least it always was when I was a politician.
    I think I missed the point where this poll went from being a vague representation of the tides of opinion amongst those who feel strongly enough to say something, and a call to action. Silly of me, really.

So what is the point of posting that I'm only just correct? I am correct that the majority of people think the forum is over moderated.
    The point is that with this being Franck's forum and all, he might have slightly different criteria concerning when to take action. As for the majority of people thinking that this forum is over-moderated? If I'm not mistaken, the majority of people haven't stated their opinion - so I'm not sure how you figure that.

Caro is talking complete rubbish, of course,
    Really? I must have missed that bit...
    and I won't even comment about her blasphemous post
    I think you just did.

Commercial Operator

I think I missed the point where this poll went from being a vague representation of the tides of opinion amongst those who feel strongly enough to say something, and a call to action. Silly of me, really.
    A majority is a majority. Of those that voted the majority agree with me. That others have not voted is of no consquence. They have not voted, therefore their opinion is unknown and can not be considered. We do not know how they would have voted.

As for the majority of people thinking that this forum is over-moderated? If I'm not mistaken, the majority of people haven't stated their opinion - so I'm not sure how you figure that.
    Many elections are decided on a minority vote. A significant proportion of the population not voting is how the Conservative Party have won most of their victories
    Really? I must have missed that bit...
    Caro has implied that I've failed to get over previous infractions I've received. She's even given me negative rep on this assumption. What I'd pointed out was that I'd never received an infraction for changing a quotation and putting in a swear word. Very different from what Caro has assumed - therefore what she has said is, IMHO, rubbish. Not only has she accused me of something that I have not done. She has done it in a way that attempts to make me sound stupid - and I can do that without any help

I think you just did.
    I was hoping somebody would notice

Thread Information