View Poll Results: Are you happy with the moderation levels.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy as it is.

15 34.09%
  • It's over-moderated.

21 47.73%
  • It's under-moderated

7 15.91%
  • Don't particularly care.

6 13.64%
  • I want to be a moderator too!

1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Moderation levels.

Re: Moderation levels.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I moderate threads according to how serious the discussion in them is, not just based on what forum they are in. (I expect all the other moderators will do similarly.)

Therefore a serious thread in "Chit Chat" is likely to be moderated as much as one in "Let's talk about dance".

I think the majority would agree with this.

Quite apart from the problem of what is serious to one person is light-hearted to another and vice versa... just because something is not serious, doesn't mean it's not important to whoever brought it up.

Anyway, I've stated my view... I think...
    Idle chit-chat should be kept out of the relatively more serious dance discussions forums.
    Attempts to derail threads in the relatively more serious dance discussion forums by taking them off-topic should be result in split threads regardless of whether the thread is deemed 'serious' or not by moderators.

In the chit-chat forum, well, there is a difference between serious discussion of non-dance subjects and idle chit-chat. But I don't use it enough to really care Perhaps an actual chat-room might be a good idea. Lots of forums have them these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    Perhaps an actual chat-room might be a good idea. Lots of forums have them these days.
    Including this one!

Mostly happy.

I think there can be a bit too much zealous over moderating on the 'this is an advert' side of things - this seems to have been a more recent change.

And at times there could be more moderating on the dance threads - they can wander off into personal chit chat and banter - and there is enough of that already in other threads. Though I think the real issues are an increasing culture of chit chat - I recognise that this is a place where people who happen to be dancers come to chat about lots of things and a place where people come to talk about dance - but sometimes the ones who actually try to discuss dance can get 'told off' for daring to want to learn something or take a thread discussion seriously. And I have no idea how moderation in itself could change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Ok then. . .

This friend comes in talks about mushrooms while you are talking politics and instantly gets dragged into another room. Nice

I'll vote for you in the upcoming modeerator election. . . Not!

In the real world - You'd continue your Politics discussion regardless but you'd still have a friend.
    Close. The friend comes over and wants to chat about mushrooms. One of the people sitting at the table is kinda bored with the whole Iran thing, so they both head over to another table and chat about mushrooms.

Where both our analogies break down is there's nothing stopping a person contributing to both threads, whereas they could only be apart of one real world conversation. So I could chat about the mushroom growing qualities of moist sand in one thread and Iranian political machinations in the other.

I do wonder if some of the more vocal complainers have ever been a forum moderator, because I have, for many years - which is why I'm sticking up for the mods and why I'm not interested in moderating any more forums

OK, it can be annoying if your off topic chatter gets split, but that's just now, what about the longer term future and archive? There are some very powerful search features within vB, the SysAdmins have invested in something called SEO which improves search engine optimisation so that we get indexed properly by the likes of Google. Doesn't it annoy the hell out of you when you're searching for something on the web and all kinds of irrelevant drivel comes up for your search terms? It does me and that is what the mods are trying to avoid with the thread splitting.

Cut them some slack here, it's a thankless bloody task and no matter what you do somebody will complain, but somebody has to do it or a forum degenerates into a useless mess. Cr*p attracts cr*p, if the ethos of a forum is abusive off topic rubbish then that is what people post. OK, I'm new around here, but I've been on the internet for many years, I've participated in loads of forums and moderated a few as well. In my view the mods on here do a damn good job, I have seen a lot worse.

I like the idea of a links section, try the vBadvanced Links Directory which integrates very well with vB. You don't want to be actually storing video clips on here, not unless you've got some big dedicated servers and a deep pocket for the bandwidth

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can people note that I'm officially adding Straycat264 to the Spray Voting Hall Of Shame? 'Coz I think it's downright shocking.

(Why yes, I do like to hammer a point home a lot, why do you ask?)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    A year ago people were complaining about too many off-topic posts in threads. Now we have complaints that we delete posts and split threads too much.

Just can't win...
    Sounds a bit like being a DJ........

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    (Why yes, I do like to hammer a point home a lot, why do you ask?)
    Somebody please tell me he's going away in 12 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    Cut them some slack here, it's a thankless bloody task and no matter what you do somebody will complain, but somebody has to do it or a forum degenerates into a useless mess. Cr*p attracts cr*p, if the ethos of a forum is abusive off topic rubbish then that is what people post. OK, I'm new around here, but I've been on the internet for many years, I've participated in loads of forums and moderated a few as well. In my view the mods on here do a damn good job, I have seen a lot worse.
    I'm pleased that the moderators have taken steps to prevent the forum being ruined by mindless drivel and spiteful or aggressive posting - arguments that heavy handed moderation have put an end to freedom of expression just don't hold water IMO. I don't see why anybody should be free to post gratuitously offensive or insulting stuff. Surely, most contributors are able to express their arguments effectively without resorting to personal attack which always ends up reflecting badly on the attacker, anyway.

To be honest, I rarely notice when moderators intervene in a thread - maybe I'm not spending enough time reading the forum?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Somebody please tell me he's going away in 12 posts.
    nah....he'll probably just keep plugging away until he reaches the 10,000th post

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    nah....he'll probably just keep plugging away until he reaches the 10,000th post

which at the current rate will be about 4.10pm this afternoon....

in fact if memory serves right, he did, yesterday evening...

(10 000th post on the 'come celebrate thread')

so did you (have to) delete some of your own posts DJ? Come on what happens after the 10,000th one? What is it like on the other side? or did you ... implode somehow?
    Last edited by Caro; 31st-March-2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added link to what was DJ's 10,000th post yesterday

There used to be a list of the moderators - can't find it now, I have worked out the moderators to be as follows as the have the word 'moderator' under their avatar

• Kev F
    • Lory
    • DavidJames
    • ducasi
    • tiggerbabe
    • Franck (of course)

Is that it - or are there any hidden ones I/we don't know about ?

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Can people note that I'm officially adding Straycat264 to the Spray Voting Hall Of Shame? 'Coz I think it's downright shocking.
    Why? I think the forum is over-moderated in some ways and under-moderated in others. Maybe you need a more specific poll

Maybe you should add me to the Poll-Critics Hall of Shame instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    in fact if memory serves right, he did, yesterday evening...

(10 000th post on the 'come celebrate thread')
    He's not at 10,000 now - he seems to have lost a few hundred somewhere along the way since yesterday - what happened there?

Or is he going backwards and will vanish from the forum altogether? Maybe that's what happens when you hit 10,000

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Or is he going backwards and will vanish up his own a*s*h*l* altogether?
    now there's a thing......

Someone's misquoting!

MODERATOR!

(snip modified, a tad insulting quote )
    and then you moan there's too much moderation... I wonder if there's a cause - effect pattern to investigate there

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    and then you moan there's too much moderation... I wonder if there's a cause - effect pattern to investigate there
    I think you could be right Caro.

Let's get rid of David James from the forum for a short period. Say..... 2 years, and see what happens.

Is that a plan? .....

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Someone's misquoting!

MODERATOR!
    It wasn't me your honour...a big boy did it and ran away..........

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I think you could be right Caro.

Let's get rid of David James from the forum for a short period. Say..... 2 years, and see what happens.

Is that a plan? .....
    I'll say ............

Commercial Operator

I used to post on this forum regularly. Many times a day. Nowadays I post rarely. That change is entirely due to a change in moderation. As they say, Franck can do what he likes, it's his forum. If you don't like it, don't post.

I think the result of this change in moderation is that a number of talented dancers have ceased to post on here. One day I will be talented enough to be missed. Until then I'll pop in and post from time to time

Thread Information