View Poll Results: Are you happy with the moderation levels.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy as it is.

15 34.09%
  • It's over-moderated.

21 47.73%
  • It's under-moderated

7 15.91%
  • Don't particularly care.

6 13.64%
  • I want to be a moderator too!

1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderation levels.

Re: Moderation levels.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    There's a thread about what's happening in Iran at the moment. It's in the "Chit Chat" area of the forum. Do you think it's acceptable to have off-topic discussions about mushrooms in this thread?
    I don't see why not. When I chat, have a chat, it can cover all topics under the sun. That's what chat is. It rambles.

But, to be honest, I don't care.
    I've used the chit-chat forum on here, but it is the very minor side of the forum for me.

I would say go with whatever the majority of people who do chit-chat in the chit-chat forums want.
    But, as I said, keep the chit-chat out of the (relatively serious) discussion forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Voting for more moderation we have:

2 Moderators
    1 Wannabe Moderator
    1 West Coaster

....and a Smurf.
    Caro, David Franklin, Divissima, Dreadful Scathe, ducasi

Who is the other moderator in that list?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Caro, David Franklin, Divissima, Dreadful Scathe, ducasi

Who is the other moderator in that list?
    Divissima, on the MJDA forum.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    I don't see why not. When I chat, have a chat, it can cover all topics under the sun. That's what chat is. It rambles.
    Maybe there should be "focussed chit-chat" and "rambling chit-chat" sections

A year ago people were complaining about too many off-topic posts in threads. Now we have complaints that we delete posts and split threads too much.

Just can't win...
    Moderating is always a no win situation from my experience. You'll get **** whatever you do unfortunately

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I let by a lot of things which I think could maybe do with some moderator action because I am too busy or can't be bothered.
    I don't but maybe I just don't notice as much or it doesn't bother me as much

If there was more demand for moderation action, or more moderators I'm sure we'd do more.
    The thing about moderation is, most of it's down to personal judgement and each of us has different levels of tolerance and opinions on what's acceptable or needed.

I think if we had 10 moderators with similar views as me, I doubt we'd do much more BUT if we had 10 moderators, all with different opinions about what bothered them, we'd probably end up with, erm, NO members!
    Last edited by Lory; 30th-March-2007 at 01:00 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Moderating is always a no win situation from my experience. You'll get **** whatever you do unfortunately
    Very true!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I don't but maybe I just don't notice as much or it doesn't bother me as much

The thing about moderation is, most of it's down to personal judgement and each of us has different levels of tollerance and opinions on what's acceptable or needed.

I think if we had 10 moderators with similar views as me, I doubt we'd do much more BUT if we had 10 moderators, all with different opinions about what bothered them, we'd probably end up with, erm, NO members!
    So basically the over moderation is down to certain moderators?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    May I refer the lady to my earlier post number 6.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Well, according to the pole, not everyone is of the opinion that its 'over-moderated'

That obviously must be directed at you Lory not me.

Blog Entries

I'm still trying to work out which one is me?

Well, according to the pole, not everyone is of the opinion that its 'over-moderated'
    True, just twice as many as those that think it's OK or under-moderated. That is once you discounted DS name on every option! Can a moderator remove his votes? (Oooh, the irony of that request!)

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post

But, to be honest, I don't care.
    I've used the chit-chat forum on here, but it is the very minor side of the forum for me.

I would say go with whatever the majority of people who do chit-chat in the chit-chat forums want.
    But, as I said, keep the chit-chat out of the (relatively serious) discussion forums.
    I moderate threads according to how serious the discussion in them is, not just based on what forum they are in. (I expect all the other moderators will do similarly.)

Therefore a serious thread in "Chit Chat" is likely to be moderated as much as one in "Let's talk about dance".

I think the majority would agree with this.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I'm still trying to work out which one is me?
    I think you know which one you are.

But I'm always happy to take you to the fetish shop Lory....

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman View Post
    I think you know which one you are.

But I'm always happy to take you to the fetish shop Lory....
    Can we make it a Forum outing?

Out of 22 people - that's a pretty low percentage of regular posters, let alone total forum members. Lots of them don't post (we miss you DF ) - but perhaps they would contribute more if the moderating changed.

No, I haven't voted. Because I'm fence-sitting as usual. I'm mainly "Happy" but with a small element of "Under-moderated" (from the POV of fixing things, like ducasi says, but also sometimes get exasperated with sniping - I know I go on about stuff, but not usually about people - and I don't have a problem with the odd bitchy remark - just as well, I make 'em - but constant aggression towards someone is bullying IMO.)

Surely Iran is not damp enough to grow mushrooms?

I moderate threads according to how serious the discussion in them is, not just based on what forum they are in. (I expect all the other moderators will do similarly.)

Therefore a serious thread in "Chit Chat" is likely to be moderated as much as one in "Let's talk about dance".

I think the majority would agree with this.
    Using the pub analogy. if I was sitting round a table with a group of friends discussing Iran and another friend came along and started discussing mushrooms, it just wouldn't make sense.

Given that a lot of forums would simply delete the off-topic posts, I think splitting the threads off is a good way of having a win-win , especially now that Harperlinks are being added to show where they've gone / come from.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the moderators are flexible on this. I personally loved Beowulf's cunning plan to get the World of Warcraft thread moved back to the Geek's Corner ; but if you look at it - David moved the thread to where he felt it made sense; explained his reasoning and when the posters still wanted it returned, he returned it; this is hardly draconian.

I think it was LMC(?) who said this is an adjustment phase while everything settles down - I'm inclined to agree, but think it's good that the moderators are taking on board contructive criticism and hopefully we'll end up with a shinier Forum because of it.

Personally I'm happy with the level of moderation that is going on in the chit chat sections (i.e. not that much really apart from a bit of thread splitting and gentle policing... and frankly I don't lose sleep over it ).

However I think some areas of the dancing section would benefit from more moderating, so that we can get really serious threads that could serve as a reference when you really want to find good advice about dancing. (my guess is that I'm not the only once since it seems to be one of the reasons the mjda forum was created).
    Again with that I wouldn't be totally against implementing a system that would enable different people to have different 'power' (don't really know about how exactly that could be done) so that you can easily identify if the advice is worth taking (i.e. in those technical threads I wouldn't rate posts by a well established and respected dance teacher the same way as posts by some random newly intermediate who thinks he/she knows it all now that he/she can lead a dozen of moves and do double spins ).
    Also I wouldn't mind re-organising a bit the intermediate section to make search on some particular topics easier (i.e. subsections about 'spinning', 'shoes', 'moves', 'musicality', 'arm styling', etc)

It's no secret that I'd like a nice 'library' section for video clips, organising them by dance style etc. (instead of having the same clips dumped several times in the 'youtube' thread).

All that especially as the forum gets extremely busy and threads live and die in a matter of hours sometimes.

Now... it's just a forum, and personally I'm very grateful it's there in the first place as it is both a source of entertainment and good advice (from time to time ); and a great place to network and make new friends. I understand only too well that you can't design a system that will satisfy everybody and I accept the drawbacks associated with that, which include disagreeing with some moderating decisions from time to time.
    Last edited by Caro; 30th-March-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Using the pub analogy. if I was sitting round a table with a group of friends discussing Iran and another friend came along and started discussing mushrooms, it just wouldn't make sense.
    Ok then. . .

This friend comes in talks about mushrooms while you are talking politics and instantly gets dragged into another room. Nice

I'll vote for you in the upcoming modeerator election. . . Not!

In the real world - You'd continue your Politics discussion regardless but you'd still have a friend.

Thread Information