View Poll Results: Are you happy with the moderation levels.

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy as it is.

15 34.09%
  • It's over-moderated.

21 47.73%
  • It's under-moderated

7 15.91%
  • Don't particularly care.

6 13.64%
  • I want to be a moderator too!

1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderation levels.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Moderation levels.

After hearing a few complaints from various forumites during conversations, I thought I'd ask the question. Are you happy with the level of moderation on this forum? I don't use any other forums myself, so I have no comparison other than how it was when I first joined this one. It seems to me that the fun and lightheartedness has diminished somewhat since more moderators were recruited. I have had numerous posts deleted or moved and am far more careful about what I dare to write (I know, you can't tell! )
    I want to go back to the old days, where it was more like having conversations in the pub. (No one moves you to a different table if your conversation veers off in another direction!)
    So what is your opinion, less or more moderation, or is it fine as it is?

Re: Moderation levels.

I think it's fine on the dance-related threads (see splitting of little piggy from Utopia thread), but that chit chat threads are over-moderated.

If someone feels they have been personally slighted and complains to the mods, then obviously that should be dealt with. And sometimes things will have to be moved upstairs or outside.

But we are all capable of starting new threads by quoting the post which interests us.

Good thread Cruella!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I won't vote (amazingly ) for obvious reasons.

But it's also worth bearing in mind that there's a lot more "openness" in moderation operations than there was even a month ago - lots of PMs from "the moderating team" and so on.

So the perception of change is likely to be because of the greater visibility of changes.

Generally, I don't think there's more moderation than there was, say, over Christmas. In fact, if anything, actual moderation actions have been fairly low recently, compared to some of the, shall we say, more "interesting" times. But members normally never saw this stuff happening before.

Personally, I've done much less moderating recently, as a wind-down, although I've talked about it a lot - again, perceptions may be skewed a lot by that too.

EDIT: can I just say how totally shocked and saddened I am, by the way that Dreadful Scathe has now skewed the results with his sabotage spray voting?
    Last edited by David Bailey; 29th-March-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I don't use any other forums myself, so I have no comparison other than how it was when I first joined this one.
    I'm on several other dance forums (about 6 or so) - some have almost no moderation - but almost no discussion either! Some would probably have if anything, more moderation than this one. So in my experience this is about average.

I think with any change in moderation policy - as has been recently with more moderators - there is a settling down period - after which time forumites hopefully start to moderate themselves.

I also think there is an element of deliberately going off topic (possibly even just to annoy mods?) - which effectively pushes the forum towards requiring even more moderation. So don't just blame the mods if there is a lot of moved posts and thread splitting.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I won't vote (amazingly ) for obvious reasons.

But it's also worth bearing in mind that there's a lot more "openness" in moderation operations than there was even a month ago - lots of PMs from "the moderating team" and so on.

So the perception of change is likely to be because of the greater visibility of changes.

Generally, I don't think there's more moderation than there was, say, over Christmas. In fact, if anything, actual moderation actions have been fairly low recently, compared to some of the, shall we say, more "interesting" times. But members normally never saw this stuff happening before.

Personally, I've done much less moderating recently, as a wind-down, although I've talked about it a lot - again, perceptions may be skewed a lot by that too.
    Since so far I've not complained about anybody and am not aware of having been complained about, the only moderating activity I tend to see is the splitting/moving of threads. And although I haven't been on here as long as some, it feels as if there is more of this activity going on than there was end of last year.

However, by "moderating" you, DJ, might mean something a bit different?

I think a lot of the current problems are not down to the whole moderating team, rather just the postings/actions of a couple of over-zealous individuals.

Far be it for me to name names but......

There's.....

...one moderator who should visit fetish shops more often.

...one moderator who takes everything far too personally.

...one moderator who is far too iCool for their own iGood.

...one moderator who should be allowed near alcohol more often, as the results are very entertaining.

...one moderator who needs to get out more and find a sense of humour.

...one moderator whose love of fast cars appears to have driven them away........

A year ago people were complaining about too many off-topic posts in threads. Now we have complaints that we delete posts and split threads too much.

Just can't win...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    the only moderating activity I tend to see is the splitting/moving of threads. And although I haven't been on here as long as some, it feels as if there is more of this activity going on than there was end of last year.
    Seriously, there really isn't, if anything there's less going on now than there was then - but it's all much more visible than it was; you get PMs telling you what's happening, and you get notes at both ends of split threads.

(Note: all this action is done with the laudable aim of informing members more, but like Lory, I personally am sometimes unsure whether it's worth the grief...)

So I think it's largely a matter of perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    However, by "moderating" you, DJ, might mean something a bit different?
    By "moderation" I mean "using moderator-specific functions to perform actions on areas of the forum" - so that includes editing posts, deleting them, moving threads, splitting them, merging them, plotting world domination and so on.

But I don't include "talking about moderation stuff" in that list.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    A year ago people were complaining about too many off-topic posts in threads. Now we have complaints that we delete posts and split threads too much.

Just can't win...
    Ah, but it's different people complaining, you see - our secret motto of "can't annoy all the people all the time, but you can annoy a lot of them a lot of the time" is working...

I have belonged to a *lot* of forums (fora?) in the last 10 years or so.

I prolly post regularly now on four or five, including this one.

And all credit to Franck and the team - I think the moderation on this forum is just about the most even-handed and appropriate that I've ever experienced.

I don't always agree with admin and moderator action. But then it's not my forum.

Whoever pays the bills gets to make the rules.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    Whoever pays the bills gets to make the rules.
    Absolutely agree, it's Francks decision to make the rules and if we don't like the way the forum is, then we can leave. Unfortunately a few people have done just this. I'm sure though, Franck still appreciates feedback, so he can make his 'informed' decisions.

Everything in Moderation.. including Moderation

While thread splitting etc in the "technical" areas (Dance, DJ , etc) is fine, excessive splitting and moderation in the chit chat threads is getting to be a trifle annoying.

(not to be confused with an annoying trifle.. which attacks with custard and smears jelly on you!)

Of course, it's Franck's Forum and he makes the rules and I'll go along with any and all decisions made (like I didn't before? )

Having run a few forums myself (none this size granted) I know how tricky it is.

I want threads to remain on-topic. If people want to chit-chat, then fine, do it in the chit-chat forum. If necessary, expand the chit-chat parts of the forum. Possibly create a new forum called 'The Old Ocho and Ronde Inn' or something

It can be very irritating when your having a sensible discussion about something, and somebody derails the thread into a chat about mushrooms or something. Especially as I am pretty sure this has been done on several occasions with no other purpose than to derail the thread and 'get' at somebody.

There's a place for serious discussion, and a place for chit-chat, and I enjoy both, but the two shouldn't meet in the same forums.

As for thread splitting: I'm in favour if it's attempting to move off-topic in a non chit-chat forum, or bringing chit-chat to a non chit-chat forum. In those cases I'm in favour of thread splitting. If people want to talk about something else, or just chat, they should respect the contributors enough in the original thread to start their own and not hijack somebodies else.
    I'm not in favour of thread splitting in chit-chat areas where by definition, anything goes. That's what chatting is.

I know some others think differently to this, just my two cents.
    Last edited by TA Guy; 30th-March-2007 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    I want threads to remain on-topic. [...]

It can be very irritating when your having a sensible discussion about something, and somebody derails the thread into a chat about mushrooms or something. [...]

As for thread splitting: [...]
    I'm not in favour of thread splitting in chit-chat areas where by definition, anything goes. That's what chatting is.

[...]
    There's a thread about what's happening in Iran at the moment. It's in the "Chit Chat" area of the forum. Do you think it's acceptable to have off-topic discussions about mushrooms in this thread?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    There's a thread about what's happening in Iran at the moment. It's in the "Chit Chat" area of the forum. Do you think it's acceptable to have off-topic discussions about mushrooms in this thread?
    What kind of mushrooms?

I think it speaks volumes about some moderators, when they even vote in a poll about their actions. Well we'd never have guessed which way you'd vote would we?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    I think it speaks volumes about some moderators, when they even vote in a poll about their actions. Well we'd never have guessed which way you'd vote would we?
    Since the moderators take the time and trouble to perform an often thankless role, why would we want to deprive them of having a say in how that role should be carried out?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Since the moderators take the time and trouble to perform an often thankless role, why would we want to deprive them of having a say in how that role should be carried out?
    Brown noser!

Don't we get a say? Who knows better what we do and what we could do?

I let by a lot of things which I think could maybe do with some moderator action because I am too busy or can't be bothered. If there was more demand for moderation action, or more moderators I'm sure we'd do more.

I'm not just talking about just moving/deleting/merging posts and threads – in fact, I'm more thinking about things like fixing links and quotes in people's posts.

Commercial Operator

Brown noser!
    Nooooo - I just have occasional flashes of consideration for others.

So let's take a look at the voting so far.

Voting for more moderation we have:

2 Moderators
    1 Wannabe Moderator
    1 West Coaster

....and a Smurf.

Telling, very telling....

Thread Information