View Poll Results: How would you like the ignore list to work?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to see that the ignored person has posted & have a 'view post' button available (as before)

3 21.43%
  • I'd like the ignored person posts and threads to be totally invisible to me (as just now)

3 21.43%
  • I'd like to be able have the 2 options available (2 levels of ignore list)

1 7.14%
  • I don't use the ignore list and don't want to.

7 50.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ignore lists features

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Ignore lists features

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    The fact that they are well established doesnt make it any more acceptable.
    Hmmm.... they've been around in this forum for years, why get worked up about them now?

Its always the same answer-if you dont like it,dont read it,dont do this,dont do that.
    Actually, I do have some sympathy for this point of view, and it can be taken to extremes - for example, in dancing (!), you see that a lot from poor venue organisers ("if you don't like it, don't come"), which discourages feedback from punters.

So, I'd hope that we're not projecting that kind of approach, but just explaining things and giving our opinion. It seems that, like negative rep, this is a controversial feature... However, in both cases, you have to "opt in" to the system (not as recipient, of course, but as instigator), so in neither case is anything foisted on you - to me, that's the difference.

(Hmmm... I wonder if an "opt out of the rep system" function would be useful?)

And yes, "it's always been done this way" is not a good argument by itself, but it does show that some functions have proved to be useful in an online community, so it's a good guideline to follow by default.

This community is relatively well-behaved, so these functions are relatively scarcely-used. But I think they're a good peer-policing mechanism. If you have any other suggestions for alternative mechanisms to perform similar functions, I'm sure Franck would be happy to hear them?

To be honest I fail to see what is achieved by ignoring posts that people put on a forum,in fact if anything I would say that its a damn good reason for not bothering to post in the first place.
    Generally, this is used as a troll-blocking mechanism, but I won't go further because I might be accused of being inflammatory (me? )

While I am in a ranting mood DJ.
    No better still,I was then going to have a bit of a go at you DJ for one reason or another but do you know,I cant be bothered.
    Oh, go on - I dare you. nay, I double-dare you

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

To be honest I fail to see what is achieved by ignoring posts that people put on a forum
    Thats like saying you "fail to see what the point of ignoring adverts on TV" is ...but usually they are just not interesting. The forum goes a step further and rather than having to "skip the adverts" you can ask the forum to just not show them at all. To continue the TV analogy, this is exactly what TiVo does for TV. How many people would complain if their TV had a button on the remote that was on/off for "Skip Adverts" ?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    How many people would complain if their TV had a button on the remote that was on/off for "Skip Adverts" ?
    A lot.

Although as all of them work in advertising, they probably don't count

Thats like saying you "fail to see what the point of ignoring adverts on TV" is ...but usually they are just not interesting. The forum goes a step further and rather than having to "skip the adverts" you can ask the forum to just not show them at all. To continue the TV analogy, this is exactly what TiVo does for TV. How many people would complain if their TV had a button on the remote that was on/off for "Skip Adverts" ?
    Sorry DS perhaps I didnt put it as I should.Arent we talking about individualls who will not read certain posts by other individuals.As I understand it,the ignore lists is not about the whether the content of posts is interesting or not.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Sorry DS perhaps I didnt put it as I should.Arent we talking about individualls who will not read certain posts by other individuals.As I understand it,the ignore lists is not about the whether the content of posts is interesting or not.
    Yes it is. The entire point in fact. If you ignore someone it stands to reason you do not find what they say interesting and would rather not bother with it. It has always been a choice - you can ignore anyone you do not find interesting; or find boring, or nasty or whatever else you can think of as a reason. Thats the point of ignore.

Howeverm if too much of the forum is like that then never visiting the website again is probably easier.

Yes it is. The entire point in fact. If you ignore someone it stands to reason you do not find what they say interesting and would rather not bother with it. It has always been a choice - you can ignore anyone you do not find interesting; or find boring, or nasty or whatever else you can think of as a reason. Thats the point of ignore.

Howeverm if too much of the forum is like that then never visiting the website again is probably easier.
    In that case DS I have missed the point entirely.

My post was prompted by the little spat between Rocky/SF/DJ regarding Utopia.
    The content of the posts was worth reading but I got the impression the ignore issue was done to a bit more than the content.I got the impression that they didnt actually like each other.

Commercial Operator

Just had a thought. Can we have an extra ignore feature such that if you choose to ignore a particular DJ, and you subsequently go to a venue where they're playing, you can't hear their music?

I could have done with this at Guildford a few years ago, and from the sound of it, Woodface would find it invaluable at Hastings.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just can't see the point of ignore lists.

I find it quite easy to skim over posts, I know won't have much 'interesting' content

But then again, I think some people choose to put people on ignore lists, as a point of principle and that's only effective if 'said person' knows it. But, you'd have to tell them, to make the point.

And in the end, you'd only end up being more curious about what they had to say in reply!

It reminds me of when people say "I'm not talking to you!" then five minutes goes by and no one's said anything, so they chirp up again and say "I'm still not talking to you"!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    But then again, I think some people choose to put people on ignore lists, as a point of principle and that's only effective if 'said person' knows it. But, you'd have to tell them, to make the point.
    Lots of people have used ignore without advertising the fact. And if even if you do advertise the fact so "said person" knows it, it simply informs them not to bother replying

And in the end, you'd only end up being more curious about what they had to say in reply!
    Maybe you would, but you may be the only one

It reminds me of when people say "I'm not talking to you!" then five minutes goes by and no one's said anything, so they chirp up again and say "I'm still not talking to you"!
    I see what you mean, but its really not the same thing. Out of thousands of peoples opinions you can read on the internet everyday, its far easier if some just dont show up Like getting a tub of Harry Potter jelly beans: you may as well remove the "ear wax" ones in advance

Blog Entries

Maybe you would, but you may be the only one
    You know me too well!

Out of thousands of peoples opinions you can read on the internet everyday, its far easier if some just dont show up Like getting a tub of Harry Potter jelly beans: you may as well remove the "ear wax" ones in advance
    yeah, I suppose it does all come down to 'why' your ignoring them in the first place
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I just can't see the point of ignore lists.

I find it quite easy to skim over posts, I know won't have much 'interesting' content

I used to have a couple of people on my ignore list. I can honest say that I've never seen a worthwhile post from one of them, and the other just annoyed me.

Since then, the first one has stopped posting and the second, I have developed a tolerance of. I now have an empty ignore list.

The "point" though was to make my reading of the forum a more pleasant experience for myself. At no point did I want the folks I was ignoring to know.

As far as the curiosity thing is concerned – yes, occasionally I was curious enough to find out what I had chosen to ignore. I was rarely pleasantly surprised.

With the new set-up, I guess I wouldn't have seen ignored posts, and would remain blissfully ignorant. This can only be a good thing.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Like getting a tub of Harry Potter jelly beans: you may as well remove the "ear wax" ones in advance
    Oh - thanks a bunch. I may never eat jelly beans again after reading that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Since then, the first one has stopped posting and the second, I have developed a tolerance of. I now have an empty ignore list.

~snip~

As far as the curiosity thing is concerned – yes, occasionally I was curious enough to find out what I had chosen to ignore. I was rarely pleasantly surprised.
    Just a question, at what point did you realised you'd developed enough tolerance, to be able to take that person off of your ignore list

Just a question, at what point did you realised you'd developed enough tolerance, to be able to take that person off of your ignore list
    When I became a moderator, I decided to have an empty ignore list so I wouldn't miss things.

Also, apparently as moderators, we can't be ignored so I thought it only fair that if no-one can't ignore me, I shouldn't ignore any-one...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I used to have a couple of people on my ignore list. I can honest say that I've never seen a worthwhile post from one of them, and the other just annoyed me.

The "point" though was to make my reading of the forum a more pleasant experience for myself.
    It's mostly an egoistical thing really, there's only so much rubbish that I can take in one day .

But it also saves me from the evil temptation of neg-rep, which people don't usually like (so I'm actually doing them a favour by putting them on ignore ).

If I can cast your mind back to a particular thread started by GAG(I think that was his forum name)

He was put on one or two peoples ignore list because of his opinionb, it certainly wasnt because his posts were not interesting.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

but people didnt want to read them and opted for a GAG free forum, by using "ignore". Clearly they had no "interest" in GAGs posts at all. So no , the posts were not interesting.

but people didnt want to read them and opted for a GAG free forum, by using "ignore". Clearly they had no "interest" in GAGs posts at all. So no , the posts were not interesting.
    That is your opinion,but I still beg to differ.Personally I think that it was probably the most interesting and amusing thread of the year.For once someone had the balls to say what they felt and didnt fold under the ensuing onslaught.To my mind whether you agreed with him or not,it generated a bloody good debate.

Commercial Operator

Personally I think that it was probably the most interesting and amusing thread of the year.For once someone had the balls to say what they felt
    And, of course, that would be your opinion.
    I was intrigued early on with GAG's posts, but before long, I gave up reading any of his/hers threads.
    (So it takes balls to be able to insult people, and quote innacurate "facts" when you're being anonymous, does it?)

I haven't used the ignore feature, preferring to skim over posts from people who rarely interest me. If other people find it useful, then what's the problem? I believe if you "ignore" someone, then you won't receive pms from them, which I'm sure can be useful at times.

Greg

Greg,just out of interest why did you decide not to read GAGs posts.Lack of interest or because you were insulted by them/him.

Thread Information