Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thread ownership

Re: Thread ownership

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    How much should thread creators define the parameters of that thread?

As the moment, threads are moderated for "on-topicness" (!), and individual posts are moderated for content, but nothing else. And frankly, given the regular outcry about thread splitting, I'm not desparately keen to increase the moderation load.

But it's been suggested that thread creators should be able to define who should and shouldn't contribute, and what is / isn't a sensible vote in a poll.

Is that reasonable, or is that too much control?
    Your thread actually came out of my post on this subject so actually it's not your thread it's mine - so that clears that up as you seem intent on claiming ownership on my idea

Thread 'ownership' is of course entirely reasonable when one considers that it appears that a very small number of forumites only purpose in life is to post fateous and irrelevant comments at every opportunity.

In this case if someone is known to you as having put you on their ignore list it makes absolute sense that you should have the opportunity to not allow them to post on a thread you have created. Lets face it, if you create a thread by definition your posts would feature quite heavily. If the person that has put you on their ignore list chooses to post they then do so in the knowledge that they cannot see a large part of the debate - so how relevant and informed can their comments or opinion be?

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    *wonders whether there will soon be a whole new forum meaning to "Sack the DJ"*
    More like sack the moderator...

Actually now there's an idea.. can we have a poll Lory please on whether the forum as a whole consider DJ a worthwhile moderator to have on the Forum? That would be entirely democratic and would give us all an opportunity to really see if it's just myself and SF who are being unreasonable or whether the members of the Forum think so too.

Maybe someone would also like to quote my post so that DJ can see it and also vote - would be interesting to see if he votes in ALL the sections on that poll too

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Its ridiculous. Whoever suggested this should be banned from the forum

Just because someone starts a thread does not mean:

they know anything about the topic
    e.g. I could start a thread on law and try to steer it a certain way but my knowledge is very small - to say the least. It would be better for all concerned if some truth and experience came out in threads.

they want to claim any ownership of it
    some people are more attached to a post than they are their own left bum cheek, others start a new thread and never even read it again

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Martin
    has this thread been split?

oh ****

YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN! IT'S MY THREAD! STOP IT NOW!!

Sorry thread master..........
    Once upon a time,
    I could insult Trampy, coz every one else does
    I could flame Andy, coz it is fun
    I could cuddle LL (coz he is always nice to me)
    I could insult Mikey (just coz we go back many years and he knows I don't mean it)
    I could show to lily and to DavidB coz we are friends
    I could neg rep Lorraine, just coz I was trying out neg rep and how it worked (even though I love her lots)

ho hum, the old days.................

Lightbulb Re: Thread ownership

While I wouldn't be interested in "banning" certain people from my threads, I did suggest a while ago that the thread creator could use the thread icons (I've used a light bulb for this post)

So the author could show that the thread was important (at least to them) and so respectfully ask people to not start wandering off (the benefit with the icon is that for certain people who feel they may not be able to resist, they could just not look at the thread.)
    So the option for determining how heavily moderated a thread is may be of interest to some. I've no idea how practical this is though.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    So the option for determining how heavily moderated a thread is may be of interest to some. I've no idea how practical this is though.
    Oh yes, I keep forgetting about those icons... Well, I don't think it could hurt, certainly.

Mines a big 'NO' to individual thread ownership. As far as I'm concerned, any thread, once commended to the forum, is the property of the forum.

There will, no doubt, be serious and non-serious contributions ... and maybe some malicious 'bullying' type posts/responses. Nastiness is, of course, up to victims to report and moderators to address.

If a thread is steered off by contributers then so be it! ... that's kind of tough really! [certainly it's happened to me at least once ... I tried, in vain, to steer it back to the original topic] It clearly suggests that the forum is not interested in the topic presented.

As for doing a poll on any particular moderator, that's too personal and out of order from my point of view. Moderators as a whole? Good idea!

It seems that the mods do a pretty good job overall.

Well done chaps!!

[reputation in my back hand please!! ]

PS ... any chance of hyper linking split thread to the original?
    With to posts saying: Thread has been split to [Hyper link to first post with title]
    Thread has been split from [Hyper link to last relevant post with title]
    Last edited by Magic Hans; 28th-March-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    With to posts saying: Thread has been split to [Hyper link to first post with title]
    I was going to ask something similar, but I think all you have to do is click on one of the quotes in the first post to be re-driected to the original thread (though I haven't actually tested this yet)

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I could neg rep Lorraine, just coz I was trying out neg rep and how it worked (even though I love her lots)

ho hum, the old days.................
    Hey, I remember that It was worth it, for all the making up though!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I was going to ask something similar, but I think all you have to do is click on one of the quotes in the first post to be re-driected to the original thread (though I haven't actually tested this yet)
    But that only works one way. If you're on the original thread, it's not always easy to find where the split posts have gone to.
    Love dance, will travel

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    There's no automated way of doing this, although it's probably a good idea - maybe someone who knows about vBulletin could answer?

We could do it manually, of course, and I think possibly we should - it's more work for us, but it's not as if we split threads every day anyway - maybe a few times a month is all.

So yes, I'm happy to put both forward and back links - back links as edit comments at the "thread start" point, and forward links as a separate post in the original thread.

As soon as you start "allowing/dissallowing" people from posting on a thread, you will destroy the forum community. It's a public forum with doors open to everyone and anyone - similar to the dance that spawned it.

And similarly; if you only allow access to specific knowledge by the colour of underwear you show, then prejudice and lots of "isms" will make this a very small band of people who think on themselves as the 'elite' who's opinions are law... actually we are treading close to this line already...

The only thing in my mind that I would guard against is the off-topic one.

Whilst it might be great fun for two, three, maybe more people to chat about their nose hair in a thread discussing what's on next week for example, it can get annoying to those not taking part in the nose hair discussion. At least that's how I feel.

If people want to chat about whatever pops into their heads, use the chat forum. It's what it's there for.

Constant derailing of threads is something 99.99% of forums guard against for good reason.

Just my 2 cents.

Thread Information