Yes, I admit it, I'm a sucker for superhero films, I've seen them all - well, OK, not The Punisher, even I have some shame.

It's a standard actioner - hero makes deal with Devil, gets transformed into the "Devil's Bounty Hunter", with blazing skull and cool leather outfits, then goes hunting Evil Demons, dispatching them (usually) very easily.

Nicholas Cage is the eponymous hero here, fulfilling his long-stated desire to play a superhero. Unfortunately, he's now too old to play this role credibly, so there's a bit more expositionary-origin stuff than is necessary.

Eva Mendes is the lurrve interest - she looks good, but doesn't actually do much in the film apart from being the Obligatory Hostage. And, as my companion noted "All of her clothes are too small" - i.e. extra tightness added around the curves to appeal to the boy contingent.

The bottom line is that this was an average film of its type - about the same level as Daredevil, much better than Catwoman or Elektre ( ), less good than Batman Returns, and nowhere near as good as Hellboy