Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a correct/accepted way to finish a dance?

Is there a correct/accepted way to finish a dance?

Thought about this (dangerous pastime) as most of my dances just seem to fizzle out, then I run & hide! Is there a correct/accepted way to finish off a dance.

In my yoof, whilst being dragged to the odd ceilidh, it was the norm to finish a dance with a spin (or a wee birl as we would say)! Does such a move/custom exist in ceroc?

D

Commercial Operator

Re: Is there a correct/accepted way to finish a dance?

Well - if you're talking about moves, that depends entirely on the song, your partner, the style of dance you're having etc etc etc - just do ... whatever feels right, whether it be a spin, a slowdown / stop, whatever occurs to you at the time.

What I think is more important comes after that - thanking your partner, walking her back where you found her - standard common courtesies, but a little too easy to forget sometimes.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the whale View Post
    Thought about this (dangerous pastime) as most of my dances just seem to fizzle out, then I run & hide! Is there a correct/accepted way to finish off a dance.
    Once you get more experience, both with music and with dancing, you'll find you tend to finish off a dance with something dramatic - a pause, or a dip, or whatever. Most MJ DJs should play tracks which have clear endings, to allow you to do this.

As for the "post-dance etiquette", I usually say some variation on "thank you", possibly with a variation of a handclasp, then walk off in search of the next victim. Hey, dance time is precious you know

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    thanking your partner
    and smile , that's all we need

EDIT: oh and if (and only if please) you really enjoyed the dance for whatever reason (but preferably something to do with her ), let her know, i.e. "this was (really) nice, great, etc". That's always nice to know when you give your partner a good time
    Last edited by Caro; 28th-March-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Darn, I knew I'd forgotten something

What I think is more important comes after that - thanking your partner, walking her back where you found her - standard common courtesies, but a little too easy to forget sometimes.

Agree with the rest but this is something that i have never done. Normally i just let them get on with what they are going to do next.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Agree with the rest but this is something that i have never done. Normally i just let them get on with what they are going to do next.
    StrayCat264 obviously has more couth than wot we do

Commercial Operator

Well - it isn't always the appropriate thing to do, but often it's the gentlemanly thing. I do think it's very important to keep away from the NEXT! mentality, and this is one of several ways of avoiding that.

Yup never happened! Am I missing something or are you just such the gentleman?
    A thank you is always good but sometimes there's those little moments when you can't thank someone for a dance because they're trying to catch someone else, trying to do a runner or you just want to get away from them.
    I would love to see someone walk me back to where I was found (dance venue only) but won't hold my breath

Blog Entries

Well - it isn't always the appropriate thing to do, but often it's the gentlemanly thing. I do think it's very important to keep away from the NEXT! mentality, and this is one of several ways of avoiding that.
    Plus, she may have a fit friend next to her

Hmm, interesting. I don’t think this has ever happened to me. If I’m lucky I get a thank you , if I’m very lucky I get a compliment , sometimes I just get deserted in the middle of the floor I always say thank you – I’m afraid even if I haven’t enjoyed the dance… (I was brought up well, don’t you know).

The only problem with walking your partner back to where you found her is if she doesn’t want to go back there! She may have spotted her next “victim” and actually wanting to be stalking, er no sorry , I mean going to ask them to dance. Or going to the bar or the loo.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

but often it's the gentlemanly thing.
    I've done it, when I've been leading and I have also had it done to me
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    Good Stuff!
    basically what I would have said!

It's hard to know sometimes that the end of a song is coming up therefore you can't really plan for a good dramtic finish!!!

It also takes alot of experience and practice!

My advice is have fun right to the end just keep going, don't think

'Uh oh end of song coming up must do something flashy!'

If you really know a peice of music then try and strike a pose or something at the end but don't try too hard! The other thing to do is listen to lots and lots of music over and over again! If you get to know the music then it gets easier to dance to it!

But as long as you smile and say thankyou at the end of the dance then it doesn't really matter how it actually ends when the music stops!

Lest anyone should think that i just run off without even a half-smile or a word of thanks, i do thank my partner and try to look/smile at them before walking off (usually in a similarish way to the way they are going). On a wider note, i have even been known to hold doors open for women rather than letting them slam in their face

Anyway, back on topic,

Well - if you're talking about moves, that depends entirely on the song, your partner, the style of dance you're having etc etc etc - just do ... whatever feels right, whether it be a spin, a slowdown / stop, whatever occurs to you at the time.
    is what i try to do, although there are times when i am caught out or just mess it up and find myself in the twist-out of a yo-yo or such like.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Good stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Sorry, but that made me laugh when you scroll back uo DJ's most recent post and find

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Plus, she may have a fit friend next to her

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I don’t think this has ever happened to me.
    Like TB, it's happened to me too, maybe the Scottish men are better at this
    Last edited by ducasi; 28th-March-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: removed duplicate material now in another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post

It's hard to know sometimes that the end of a song is coming up therefore you can't really plan for a good dramtic finish!!!
    Cheat Have a few moves that chain into each other smoothly, but each one looks like a finish pose. Hit the first one - if the DJ keeps going hit the second one etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post

EDIT: oh and if (and only if please) you really enjoyed the dance for whatever reason (but preferably something to do with her ), let her know, i.e. "this was (really) nice, great, etc". That's always nice to know when you give your partner a good time
    Sometimes, if its been a good dance, and esp if its been a bluesy dance, dances can end with a little hug. Tends to be with familiar partners and its a mutual expression of 'enjoyed the dance' .

Hmm, interesting. I don’t think this has ever happened to me. If I’m lucky I get a thank you , if I’m very lucky I get a compliment , sometimes I just get deserted in the middle of the floor I always say thank you – I’m afraid even if I haven’t enjoyed the dance… (I was brought up well, don’t you know).

The only problem with walking your partner back to where you found her is if she doesn’t want to go back there! She may have spotted her next “victim” and actually wanting to be stalking, er no sorry , I mean going to ask them to dance. Or going to the bar or the loo.
    Plus it would be hard to walk me back to where you found me, coz it would almost certainly have been somewhere in the middle of the dancefloor anyway!!

The only problem with walking your partner back to where you found her is if she doesn’t want to go back there! She may have spotted her next “victim” ...
    I just say where I want to go next and get them to take me there...

Thread Information