Thread: Dundee weather + dancing with Beginners.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So Sheena, how come you don't have a picture yet? If you are looking for anything specific, let me know and I will see if I can get it for you...

You Dundonians are brilliant, turning up all over the place
    I promise I will make a Dundee party this year (New Year's resolution), I really want to, but between other nights, baby sitting arrangements, etc... it has not been easy so far

By the way, I don't believe that Jayne had a funny subject in mind, but I bet she is trying to think of one very hard now
    The weather has not been notable enough to mention so far, though I bet it is always raining in Dundee

Cheers,

Franck.

Originally posted by Franck
    The weather has not been notable enough to mention so far, though I bet it is always raining in Dundee
    When I lived in Dundee (1964-1990), we got far more sunshine than Edinburgh. I bet it's much the same even now. I just haven't been there for a couple of years.....

Blog Entries
    I was actually joking about Dundee, since I am sure I read somewhere that statistically, Dundee is the sunniest city in Scotland

Everytime we went busking in the streets of Dundee, we were guaranteed good weather even if it was pouring with rain all over Scotland...

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Question Confused

Well Franck, I reckon you've been chatting too much.
    It's Heather who doesn't have a picture not me.
    However since you have been so kind as to list all of the "little misses" I have now changed it. I think everyone who knows me will agree it is, unfortunately, the most appropriate picture I could choose.

Glad to see that the Scottish Championship idea is still alive (if a little quiet!).

Re the ceilidh night, what a good idea - I can hardly wait to see all of these guys doing triple spins with their kilts on. By the way I think William only had his kilt on in Edinburgh 'cause he didn't have any clean trousers to wear.

Blog Entries

Re: Confused

Originally posted by Sheena
    Well Franck, I reckon you've been chatting too much.
    It's Heather who doesn't have a picture not me.
    However since you have been so kind as to list all of the "little misses" I have now changed it. I think everyone who knows me will agree it is, unfortunately, the most appropriate picture I could choose.
    Hi Sheena,

Sorry, you are right, I meant Heather
    I like your new pic though, Little Miss Late ??? I hope that does not apply to your Taxi-dancing nights

Re the ceilidh night, what a good idea - I can hardly wait to see all of these guys doing triple spins with their kilts on.
    Oh, enough of the triple-spins-in-a-kilt thing... You are going to make all of us guys self-conscious
    Last time I wore my kilt was when I taught a guest class in London's Hammersmith night, and I was a bit worried to be on stage, with a queue of women waiting to join in the class underneath...

I wonder how brave and true to their Scotsman-ship most men will be... :p

Cheers,

Franck (off to see if his kilt still fits ! )

Re Picture

I'm feeling under pressure here to get myself a picture!
    I asked one or two friends( Sheena and Lorraine) their opinion and as you can see I ended up being Little Miss Bossy!!!! There wasn't a Miss Efficient and Miss Busy didn't seem quite right.
    Looking forward to the Ceilidh night Franck, can't wait to see all these men in their kilts!!!!
    Maybe you could have a knobbly knee contest!!!!

My theory...

Right, I have this theory that the people who work in the Met office in Bracknell can't be bothered to work out what the weather's going to do up here so they just stick a rain symbol over Glasgow (I live in Glasgow so I only watch out for Glasgow). I constantly have to tell my English friends that IT DOESN'T ALWAYS RAIN IN GLASGOW - HONEST! It's my conspiracy theory... I have little else to entertain my small mind (apart from double spins...)

As for the Dundee thing my brother lived up there for five years and reckoned that there was this "micro-climate" thing going on which meant that Dundee really was warmer than the places around it.

Anyway, enough about the weather, I've got work to do...

Jayne

All over the place!

OK so I'm replying to myself now...

I apologise - I hadn't realised that the conversation had moved on from the weather (I've just found the second page of that thread..). That's why I was wibbling about the weather.

I am, however, pleased that the conversation has got back to the topic of ceilidhs/men in kilts. March 9th is in my diary already.

See you then...

Jayne

Blog Entries

Re: All over the place!

Originally posted by Jayne
    OK so I'm replying to myself now...

I apologise - I hadn't realised that the conversation had moved on from the weather (I've just found the second page of that thread..). That's why I was wibbling about the weather.
    Hi Jayne,

I see you got in a bit of a muddle (You might have to change your Little Miss if keep on like this)

What I recommend is that if you are replying to a specific point / post, instead of hitting the "Post Reply" button, instead click on the quote button within the post you want to respond to.
    This opens a reply, including the text of the post you are replying to. You can then edit / snip this to your heart's content as I have done with yours...

I am, however, pleased that the conversation has got back to the topic of ceilidhs/men in kilts. March 9th is in my diary already.
    Indeed, by the sound of the responses so far, it probably will be a sell-out

Cheers,

Franck.

Red face The late taxi - dancer!

Hi there Franck

I have never (but maybe you'd better ask Cathy and Scott) been late for a taxi dancing session to the best of my knowledge. My problem is that I never arrive on time to pick people up despite my best efforts - something always happens to upset my plans you understand, it's not that I just take too long to get ready
    However here we are in a new year and I'm determined to get the better of this dreadful character flaw - watch this space - time will tell................

By the way Mr S - shouldn't your picture be Mr "OL' TIMER" seeing as you were born in 1902? I knew you were old John, just didn't think you were that old -still you dance very well for a senior citizen.

I'm not sure how many people the Partick Burgh Halls hold either having only been once - is there no chance of making it all ticket so that those coming from further afield could have a chance of getting in - just in case they're late you understand.

Blog Entries

Re: The late taxi - dancer!

Hi there Franck

I have never (but maybe you'd better ask Cathy and Scott) been late for a taxi dancing session to the best of my knowledge.
    I never meant to imply you had, so I apologize if I gave this impression

My problem is that I never arrive on time to pick people up despite my best efforts - something always happens to upset my plans you understand, it's not that I just take too long to get ready

Well, it is a well known fact that women take ages to get ready...

I'm not sure how many people the Partick Burgh Halls hold either having only been once - is there no chance of making it all ticket so that those coming from further afield could have a chance of getting in - just in case they're late you understand.
    I think I will make it all tickets (on sale from the February party, 9th Feb.). Partick Burgh Halls have a strict limit on numbers of 160, which can be frustrated at times, but means that the floor never gets over-crowded.
    I have never turned anyone away who had travelled a long way, though it probably is because they tend to arrive at the beginning of the night

Anyway, I will keep you posted on developments.

Franck.

Unhappy No problemo!

Don't worry Franck, I realised you were only joking!

I have not taken offence and would be delighted to try any complex steps you care to introduce at the next Aberdeen party or indeed the ceilidh if you feel inclined to ask me to dance.

Re Heather's point about guys trying complicated steps before they have mastered the basics. It is difficult to dance well with someone when they are determined to do whichever step they learned in their last class before they have got the lead right. It is even more frustrating when they treat you as if you are a complete dope for not being able to follow them. Sometimes the bloke will not give up and will go over the same step again and again. This is ok if you know the person and are happy for them to practice on you HOWEVER if you are at a social event it's much better if they stick to the moves they know.

You can still really have a great dance with only the beginners moves being used. Sometimes I think the newer blokes will not ask some of the girls to dance as they think we won't want to go over the "same old moves" again! Not true, just ask Miss Bossy.

Personally I like spins (although 64 in one dance might be a bit too many!) and also enjoy new moves - which if well led should be fun! However, nothing beats the look of pleasure on a beginner's face when they feel that they have got the hang of things. One of the nicest compliments I have been given was a thankyou from someone for encouraging them when they first started. Only returning the help given to me - what a great crowd of people us cerocers are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can't remember if this topic was in this thread or the other one so please accept my apologies if I'm behaving like Miss Muddle.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: No problemo!

Don't worry Franck, I realised you were only joking!
    Glad to hear it, I'll have to start using more smiley faces in my posts just in case :p
    However, nothing beats the look of pleasure on a beginner's face when they feel that they have got the hang of things. One of the nicest compliments I have been given was a thankyou from someone for encouraging them when they first started. Only returning the help given to me - what a great crowd of people us cerocers are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I could not agree more. I often find that the best dances I have had in a night will have been with a Beginner... (present company excluded of course )
    Now I can't remember if this topic was in this thread or the other one so please accept my apologies if I'm behaving like Miss Muddle.
    I am going to try and split this particular thread as it has become so long it is quite un-manageable...
    It probably would be a good idea to start new threads with suitable titles anyway when moving on to a new discussion...

Cheers and look forward to seeing you all soon on the dance floor.

Franck

Thread Information