Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thread splitting

Re: Thread splitting

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    The Damn button don't work anyway I tried it out twice recently and not even a note from a moderator came back.
    You probably need moderator rights to make the button work.
    Not quite true... everytime I used it, the moderator(s) have chosen to go along with the proposed action. Might be something to do with what you're reporting and the action you're suggesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    [...] is to have sent a PM to the moderators objecting vociforously to what had happened. That could've been interesting!
    Don't PM a random moderator (who may be busy getting a life) – use the "report this post" button. That's what it's there for! It even works on posts you've made.

If we'd known your thoughts earlier in that thread we might have taken a different action.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Not quite true... everytime I used it, the moderator(s) have chosen to go along with the proposed action. Might be something to do with what you're reporting and the action you're suggesting?
    Oh so it's a report and suggest button too?

Nah never works - well not seemingly on the subjects that upset me dearest!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Don't PM a random moderator (who may be busy getting a life) – use the "report this post" button. That's what it's there for! It even works on posts you've made.
    - I've reported my own posts a few times

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    If we'd known your thoughts earlier in that thread we might have taken a different action.
    FWIW, I've put a nice shiny Moderator note on "your" thread

Nah never works - well not seemingly on the subjects that upset me dearest!
    It always "works" - i.e. it always gets noticed, and usually gets some discussion. But it doesn't force us to do anything, although we should of course reply - apologies again if we haven't done so in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    It always "works" - i.e. it always gets noticed, and usually gets some discussion. But it doesn't force us to do anything, although we should of course reply - apologies again if we haven't done so in the past.

Hey I'm easy but not THAT easy!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    This is a bit daft in my opinion, and it should go back to the true transparency of "not telling the members what does not concern them".
    I think I'm beginning to agree with you
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Place the offenders name in there as well to make sure we know who is off topic and Hey Presto! No one gets naffed off!
    No one? That would "naff" me off. The moderators are there to keep the forum organised, not to insert new comments, send PMs informing people whats happening and act like over zealous bouncers at a kylie concert.

I think the point that I was trying to make on top of Twitly's post was that this process of splitting threads is Rude. To force someone to the top of the pile with a thread started in their name without consultation that cannot be fair or proper.
    Its as rude as the police patrolling the streets and moving on large groups of unruly teenagers. Thats a good thing. I don't understand how it can be seen as rude at all . I also dont see how its any of our business - the forum needs organising and Franck has got a few new moderators in to help.

I ask you to take a look at my analogy about being dragged about a dance floor because I think it works.
    Couldn't see it, but it sounds like a daft analogy to me

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Yes there has, and a certain moderator seems to think that it's his duty to make a comment on nearly every thread.
    That seems harsh, especially when DJ felt it was his duty to respond to every thread "before" he was a moderator.

I'm a bit late into this fray as I've been away. My post refers to the original first post in this thread.

Like yourself, I'd made a comment a while back in a thread that was suited to the comment I had posted. My comment made sense in that thread, was a *at that time relevant* comment that I was happy to post knowing it'd die away quickly. Without even being consulted a moderator took it upon themself to split my comment off into a new thread and gave it a subject title that was completely different to the point of the comment I was trying to make. This unfortunately gave me a lot of grief from fellow members that didn't understand my comment as it had been taken out of context int the new splitted thread, and thus obviously didn't realise *I* hadn't posted the new thread with that subject title even though the new thread had my username next to it.

PLEASE moderators, do consult us before splitting / moving topics as it can inadvertently cause harm. On all other forums I'm a member of they at least tell us our threads have been split, or in some cases even ask us beforehand. Thanks.

Thread Information