For the first time ever all of the "Dragons" were united in backing a proposal. It was for a device that switched off the television to save on standby power. The "inventor" had a patent application in for it. I would have laughed it out of the studio. Anybody want to point out the flaws in my reasoning?
1) The device is basically a remote controlled switch. I have one of those for my garden lights.
2) TV's come with an on/off switch already. How many people will pay for an extra gizmo rather than just use that?
3) The big attraction was the prospect of milliions licensing the idea to TV manufacturers who could include it in their TV. That might have generated some income if the inventor had not gone onto the den, and got his patent granted. Now I suspect he is going to find that the TV manufacturers will point out to the patent office that this is old technology. Way back TV remotes switched the set on and off, using a rechargeable battery internally. I would be surprised if there were not patents covering this. "Standby" was invented to shorten the time to come on by keeping current flowing through the filimants of the valves to reduce warm-up time.
Any rebuttals?