Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on spinning anyone got any tips?

Re: Advice on spinning anyone got any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    The other great skill to have is not just getting x amount of spins in but the being able to get them to fit in the timing of the music.
    In the context of a partner dance, I would say that is THE most important aspect to get right. And it's as bad if the spinning is so fast that the spinner finishes ahead of the beat as behind it.

Emma Pettit is the person who has done the most impressively quick multiple spins that I have danced with - she was around pretty much before I had blinked. Mind you, i have never lead CentrAlex and I think he will have taken a lot of inspiration from her for his spinning style. Joseph (of J & Sadie) was pretty impressive during their cabaret at Camber last year though that was solo spinning.

I find it impossible to know how many spins I've actually done, it's one blur to me.

Also I'm never sure if I've gone off course sometimes, or if the lead has stepped back.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I find it impossible to know how many spins I've actually done, it's one blur to me.

Also I'm never sure if I've gone off course sometimes, or if the lead has stepped back.

The only true way to know that is either video or get someone to watch.

or count how many times you've spotted!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post

I spotted Mark Lemar once.

I see, thanks. It's pointless asking them, they don't seem to know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    I don't spot, because there doesn't seem to be time to mark somewhere. I suppose it's a habit to acquire.

I must try and remember to do it as I get dizzy if I do loads of spins and need to get in a ballroom hold fast.

That doesn't happen often though. There is a definate knack, as Woodface says, to spinning a follower into multiples.

Jamie's going to be at Hammersmith tonight - don't think I have danced with him before, but may get some spins off him.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I see, thanks. It's pointless asking them, they don't seem to know what I'm talking about.

I don't spot, because there doesn't seem to be time to mark somewhere. I suppose it's a habit to acquire.

I must try and remember to do it as I get dizzy if I do loads of spins and need to get in a ballroom hold fast.

That doesn't happen often though. There is a definate knack, as Woodface says, to spinning a follower into multiples.

Jamie's going to be at Hammersmith tonight - don't think I have danced with him before, but may get some spins off him.
    When I told people I don't spot I got all kinds of greif.

I don't think I will ever get in to spotting. I get dizzier if I try.

I have learnt that if im doing loads of spins, to spot as I slow down on the last one or two.

With loads of spins, where I have done it so often, I have learnt how to tell whats going on around me. I can norm see what my dance partner is doing. I probly kind of spot, just not with the fixed position head turning thing.

I have learnt that if im doing loads of spins, to spot as I slow down on the last one or two.

With loads of spins, where I have done it so often, I have learnt how to tell whats going on around me. I can norm see what my dance partner is doing. I probly kind of spot, just not with the fixed position head turning thing.
    At Hammersmith on Saturday after the music had finished Mythical practiced her spins.

Stoke Bloke counted 15 spins. She also did multiple turns too with Stoke Bloke.

The dress she had on was made for spinning. She didn't wear school uniform.

I asked Mythical whether she spots and she said no.

Good advice, thanks, will try spotting on the last one or two spins.

Hope you are up and spinning soon. Backs are strange things. There is a back injury thread called, wait for it......"Back Injury" by Lynn.

What is this Spotting?
    The only time I've 'spotted' was when I was restoring my car, and I don't think that's what I'm supposed to do when I'm spinning (I can't imagine anyone can do spot welds very well whilst spinning!)

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mythical View Post
    What is this Spotting?
    The only time I've 'spotted' was when I was restoring my car, and I don't think that's what I'm supposed to do when I'm spinning (I can't imagine anyone can do spot welds very well whilst spinning!)
    During a spin, its when you keep your head facing the same 'spot' for as long as possible, then whip it round fast, to face the same 'spot' again..
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    During a spin, its when you keep your head facing the same 'spot' for as long as possible, then whip it round fast, to face the same 'spot' again..
    People can lose their heads over this.

I think that you are supposed to dissociate your head from your body i.e. your body turns and your head stays behind, then when it cant stay there anymore it catches up in a flash.

You could mislay your head this way - -

So if your find yourself typing something on the forum and then realise you did so without thinking - well it could be that your head was lagging behind, and it suddenly catches up again. That's "posting spotting".

Ooops there is my head now... too late!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I know little about spinning, but isn't the vast majority of momentum generated from your legs?

So a "strong lead" for a spin may involve some extra force, but is more likely to involve more advance signalling and prep time / space?
    As a follower, I find it really helpful when the leader does a proper block before sending me off into a spin. If the leader just rushes, say, from the side step into the froward spin, then I am not prepared, go off the wrong foot, and will lose balance, which makes me mad, doesn't look good, and totally undermines my ability. I do try to compensate, but before any of you say it - my legs just aren't long enough to step that far in front... I am so not a long-legged blonde...

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    As a follower, I find it really helpful when the leader does a proper block before sending me off into a spin. If the leader just rushes, say, from the side step into the froward spin, then I am not prepared, go off the wrong foot, and will lose balance, which makes me mad, doesn't look good, and totally undermines my ability. I do try to compensate, but before any of you say it - my legs just aren't long enough to step that far in front... I am so not a long-legged blonde...
    A good block and clear lead in to it really does help. When I dance with blueeyes I can get tonnes of spins out but peopel are abit miffed when they try to lead me in to them If i only do two or three because of their weak / unclear lead.

A good block and clear lead in to it really does help. When I dance with blueeyes I can get tonnes of spins out but peopel are abit miffed when they try to lead me in to them If i only do two or three because of their weak / unclear lead.
    Me 2, infact I danced with someone recently who gave me a slight push off, I did one spin and they looked astounded... You need just enough force, too much knocks me off balance and I go flying off in another direction, just a little push, but enough to get my speed up is the right amount.

Thread Information