Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many 'Intermediate' dancers still show up for the Beginner's bit?

How many 'Intermediate' dancers still show up for the Beginner's bit?

I'm curious as to how many dancers, once they reach a certain level of proficiency, decide (for whatever reason) that they don't want to attend the Beginner's class at the beginning of the evening?

In my case, I find the Beginner's class a bit boring from a dance point of view, but fun socially - it's nice to have a chat with people as they're moving around, and to dance with unfamiliar partners. I suppose I still attend it out of habit, and also with the recognition that if I dropped out of attending, there'd be one less bloke to go round.

Re: How many 'Intermediate' dancers still show up for the Beginner's bit?

I still attend the beginners class as it means that I can dance better with the beginners during freestyle and try to (subtly) point them in the right direction as I know what moves they were taught that night.

I also don't find the beginners class particularly challenging, but it means I get to dance longer in the evening. Any dancing is better than none at all.
    Last edited by Bravetart; 16th-May-2007 at 11:15 AM. Reason: too many alsos.. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Bravetart View Post
    I still attend the beginners class as it means that I can dance better with the beginners during freestyle and try to (subtly) point them in the right direction as I know what moves they were taught that night.

I also don't find the beginners class particularly challenging, but it means I get to dance longer in the evening also. Any dancing is better than none at all.
    Aye, I have the mentality that the more dancing I can wring out of the evening the better...plus dancing with beginners really makes you focus on your lead. It's also nice to think that if you give them a good dance, they're likely to come back to the venue.

I stopped doing all classes a short while back - not because I felt like I knew it all, but because I was on new move overload. I had stopped doing beginner classes before that though as it leaves us more time to get stuff sorted before we have to head out.

In the 'mad scrabble' verses 'amount I learn' contest, I'm afraid an easier life sort of wins out.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I stopped doing all classes a short while back - not because I felt like I knew it all, but because I was on new move overload. I had stopped doing beginner classes before that though as it leaves us more time to get stuff sorted before we have to head out.

In the 'mad scrabble' verses 'amount I learn' contest, I'm afraid an easier life sort of wins out.
    I hear you...I think there comes a point where you realise you are doing loads of moves for the wrong reasons, ie to prove to yourself that you can do them, or because you want to impress an experienced follower. I'm weaning myself off that now, and my dancing (so I'm told) has improved because of it.

I stopped going to beginners class a few years ago, simply because at the time I was getting in late from work, meaning it was too much of a rush.

Once I'd got out of the habit of going early, I never really got my arse in gear to resume when I did have time .

However, I've started going to my local venue (a venue within walking distance - Staines) for the last two class nights, and have made the effort to go to the beginners class. In fact I've also skipped the intermediates class, and gone to help with the repeat class too...I have to say, I'm finding it both a challenge and rewarding so far.

The hardest part for me, is to try and 'keep up' with the slow walk-throughs, and have to really try hard to stop myself going to far ahead.

Another minor problem I've discovered, is that I have never been to a Ceroc beginners class before (having learnt with other MJ organisations), so one or two of the teaching methods took a little adjusting too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post
    I stopped going to beginners class a few years ago, simply because at the time I was getting in late from work, meaning it was too much of a rush.

Once I'd got out of the habit of going early, I never really got my arse in gear to resume when I did have time .

However, I've started going to my local venue (a venue within walking distance - Staines) for the last two class nights, and have made the effort to go to the beginners class. In fact I've also skipped the intermediates class, and gone to help with the repeat class too...I have to say, I'm finding it both a challenge and rewarding so far.

The hardest part for me, is to try and 'keep up' with the slow walk-throughs, and have to really try hard to stop myself going to far ahead.

Another minor problem I've discovered, is that I have never been to a Ceroc beginners class before (having learnt with other MJ organisations), so one or two of the teaching methods took a little adjusting too.

I learned my beginner moves in Ceroc Classes, so it feels strange sometimes, at MJ classes, to go through them slowly, but with minor variations. In fact, slowly anything down which has become second nature often feels weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    I learned my beginner moves in Ceroc Classes, so it feels strange sometimes, at MJ classes, to go through them slowly, but with minor variations. In fact, slowly anything down which has become second nature often feels weird.
    Standing with your arm in the air waiting to step back in the basket is freakily hard to do

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Standing with your arm in the air waiting to step back in the basket is freakily hard to do
    As is doing the Octopus in slo-mo...

I usually try and make part of the beginners class (so long as there aren't huge numbers of women over - I'll sit out if there are). I do this to warm up, and also I suspect it's useful for some of the complete beginner leads to have a follow sometimes who knows what she's doing (or at least who should do ). I dance better later if I've done part of the beginners - but I'm afraid that I can't bear to do all of it anymore, as if you think it's boring for leads, just think what it's like for followers!

I know from previous threads on here that there tends to be a strong opinion that attending beginners classes is also good for working on style and technique. And interestingly, many of the more experienced leads at my local venue still go to the beginners class every week. They also tend to be the better dancers.

And yes, the social aspect is good too. I get to say hello to people and catch up if I've not seen them recently. Which is good for the "dancing relationships" - I think (hope) that it's more likely that I'll get asked to dance later on because of the social connection.

Very true! Even moves that are taught exactly the same across the board, seem to feel wrong at certain points when broken down into 1/4 beat hand positions - even when you know it's what you probably do anyway

Btw, I noticed you've started a few pure Ceroc/MJ dance discussion threads just lately - it's a refreshing change to see such threads IMO Rep on it's way

As is doing the Octopus in slo-mo...
    That was one of the minor problem moves we did the other night - not only is it hard slo-mo, but it was taught differently to what I'm used to. With probably 100s/1000s of repetitions in my muscle memory, I really struggled to execute it 'teach's way.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I usually try and make part of the beginners class (so long as there aren't huge numbers of women over - I'll sit out if there are). I do this to warm up, and also I suspect it's useful for some of the complete beginner leads to have a follow sometimes who knows what she's doing (or at least who should do ). I dance better later if I've done part of the beginners - but I'm afraid that I can't bear to do all of it anymore, as if you think it's boring for leads, just think what it's like for followers!

I know from previous threads on here that there tends to be a strong opinion that attending beginners classes is also good for working on style and technique. And interestingly, many of the more experienced leads at my local venue still go to the beginners class every week. They also tend to be the better dancers.

And yes, the social aspect is good too. I get to say hello to people and catch up if I've not seen them recently. Which is good for the "dancing relationships" - I think (hope) that it's more likely that I'll get asked to dance later on because of the social connection.
    attending beginners classes is also good for working on style and technique...totally. I like being able to think 'right, I'm really going to work on communicating my lead here', and seeing if it gets picked up on by my follower.

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post
    That was one of the minor problem moves we did the other night - not only is it hard slo-mo, but it was taught differently to what I'm used to. With probably 100s/1000s of repetitions in my muscle memory, I really struggled to execute it 'teach's way.
    Shoulder drops are a bit like that - taught differently (in my experience) in MJ and Ceroc. Just minor differences, but it makes a difference.

Haven't been to one for weeks now I used to try and go to as many as possible - the idea being that it didn't cost me any more to go and it could help to work on bits of technique. Also, as my beginner moves tend to be ones where i am thinking about what to do next/the music/floorcraft, etc, it is probably quite easy to get into bad habits. Can help as well having someone there who knows which way the rotation is going (can end up being something of a traffic policeman at first). Why have i stopped going? Just felt like i needed a bit of a break - also sometimes it can get a bit busy and i think that it is easier for beginners if they have a bit more space

Terpsichorea, you have a new avator. I have been trying to work out, is it a tree or a surf board?

I stopped going to beginner's and intermediate classes, due to having a leg injury. My leg is still not 100 per cent. I don't think I will go back to classes though if it ever is 100 per cent. I don't miss being jerked about.

I do have a beginner under my wing, but I can dance with him in the freesyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Terpsichorea, you have a new avator. I have been trying to work out, is it a tree or a surf board?

I stopped going to beginner's and intermediate classes, due to having a leg injury. My leg is still not 100 per cent. I don't think I will go back to classes though if it ever is 100 per cent. I don't miss being jerked about.

I do have a beginner under my wing, but I can dance with him in the freesyle.
    It's a surfboard

I still turn up for the beginners bit.

If there isn't enough guys I'll do the beginner bit cause i feel its a shame that followers feel hampered with "x amount of ladies round" especially when they are just starting down the ceroc road.

Though i have been known to turn up and just veg depends on how much running about i've done during the day.

Sometimes i take redbull then take part but the downside is that i don't switch off at night. Especially hard to switch off after a decent night of ceroc but with redbull its damn near impossible

I see the classes as teaching a basic (or intermediate) set of moves for you to adopt into your dancing style. During my microscopically long career as a taxi dancer I found it really hard to shrug off the style I was putting into my dancing and go back to basic, by-the-book moves. 'The moves' are like 'the laws' in France, merely a suggestion of how you may like to behave

What is the fascination with being able to dance moves in a clinical by-the-book fashion? Please don't take this as me knocking or mocking beginner classes, it's just once you have your milk teeth why would you want to go back to the teat?

Using the beginner class to work on your lead may give you a false sense of security. In as much as the follow knows what's coming next, so your lead is far less needed than it is in freestyle.

Just a couple of thoughts......

I'm curious as to how many dancers, once they reach a certain level of proficiency, decide (for whatever reason) that they don't want to attend the Beginner's class at the beginning of the evening?
    Most non-beginners still attend beginner classes, in my experience. Personally, I feel that beginners would actually learn faster if their view of the stage wasn't obstructed by all the non-beginners. That said, MJ classes aren't solely about learning.

Thread Information