Thread: Action to revive dormant moves in a repertoire

Action to revive dormant moves in a repertoire

Ok - last night I realised that I was getting stuck in a rut with 'the same old moves' - and a very limited set of moves. Some moves have become 'dormant'.

I was thinking of making a list of all the moves which I didn't do - and then next time trying to just focus more on those during the evening.

What other tips/ideas/comments/suggestions are there which would 'switch on' the dormant moves.

(I don't want to, or intend to, try and pack 101 moves into each dance (I had that phase for a couple of weeks many months ago) - this is to facilitate a richer and more rewarding experience for me and my partners).

Blog Entries

Re: Action to revive dormant moves in a repertoire

Each time you go dancing, write 2 or 3 moves that you know but never do on a piece of paper. Take the piece of paper with you as a reminder and try to do them during the evening. They'll soon become second nature, but we all have limits and eventually, including one will just squeeze one out (if you'll pardon the expression ).

Gav makes mental note to follow own advice

Watch other people – you'll see someone doing a move you've forgotten about, and suddenly it's back!

(Less work that thinking about it beforehand, and messing about with bits of paper!)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Dormant moves are only brought to life by doing exactly as you have suggested, writing them down and remembering the moves you do know. I would say, having danced with you last night, that the amount of moves you know are fine in fact i think one of them was new on me completely. The trick is not to do so many moves its to go with the music, learning breaks, letting the music go through you and enjoying each other. Dancing with somebody who is just moves moves moves is like having bunny sex... BORING BORING BORING. Little breaks here and there, little sways, little bits of styling are all what lead to a dance becoming a fantastic dance.

Thats my opinion anyway

I find following is quite good for reminding me of popular moves that I don't lead so much any more, and occasionally for picking up new moves.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Ok - last night I realised that I was getting stuck in a rut with 'the same old moves' - and a very limited set of moves. Some moves have become 'dormant'.
    I think that everyone goes through this many, many times.

Personally I try to think on something "new" that I've not done before or perhaps have done before, but forgotten that I'd done it before, or.. {Shut up Bugah}
    For me, this involves finding a one beat movement and seeing what I can do with it; In the past it's been an elbow roll, the step-in part of a first move, arm leads, ... , recently it has been a 'drop over' (or lady's comb) where the follower's right hand is taken over head to rest on their left shoulder. I've put it into a close first move with a slide-out, I've put it into a yo-yo to blues it up, I've aded it into a simple step forward to get into a close position, I've used it when my partner's back is to me to change hands,...

I'm getting board with that now and have started playing with 'foot' leads where I balance on one foot and 'shove' the follower behind with the other A cheeky element that I've always struggled with whenever I've tried it before, but I think I've got much better balance now.

I would recommend picking a variation 'thing' (like spinning, posing, swapping hands, ...) and seeing what moves from your existing repertoir I could insert it into. In this way, you still have your old repertoir, just with a slightly new slant on it; much easier to change than having to work out how a whole new move fits in with your existing repertoir.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Dormant moves are only brought to life by doing exactly as you have suggested, writing them down and remembering the moves you do know. I would say, having danced with you last night, that the amount of moves you know are fine in fact i think one of them was new on me completely.

Thats my opinion anyway

Ah! Trouble it might well be fine for you but Jivelad has the problem of dancing the same dance moves every dance he dances... you only get to experience them once or twice an evening.

Jivelad has answered his own question really! Have a list of all your moves in your dance bag when you get bored with your own moves .. get the list out and look up 2 moves you haven't used and then use them in subsequent dances.. if you get bored again repeat the process..

watching others is also beneficial if you don't have your list handy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Ah! Trouble it might well be fine for you but Jivelad has the problem of dancing the same dance moves every dance he dances... you only get to experience them once or twice an evening.

Jivelad has answered his own question really! Have a list of all your moves in your dance bag when you get bored with your own moves .. get the list out and look up 2 moves you haven't used and then use them in subsequent dances.. if you get bored again repeat the process..

watching others is also beneficial if you don't have your list handy.
    Dont be silly, i always experience more than twice.!!

Thread Information