Thread: Seen the light

Seen the light

Contributions please! Advice/wisdom you've been given which have in some way enriched your existence.
    I want to hear the trivial and profound, the dance-related (from "step forward on your right foot for the backhander" to "*** man/woman, stop bouncing - you look like Zebedee on LSD!") and world outside, if such a thing exists!
    Could be an opportunity to thank the person that imparted whatever gem it was for their infinite wisdom. Perhaps they'd like to hear that your dancing has been revolutionised, that an accident was averted or that you're simply a better person because of it.

Mine:
    - "Get out there and ask people to dance" (anon./various). Simple, maybe even obvious, but effective. Thank you, whoever you are, for saying this to me. I've gone from being a shy, overweight side-of-the-hall-hugger to being more confident and slightly less overweight (!) with a wonderful circle of Ceroc friends and worn-out but happy feet!

- "When a job begins to take over your life because you enjoyed it at first and now you're trying too hard to do everything, and perfectly, remember IT IS JUST A JOB. IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR HEALTH AND SANITY." This forced me to rethink, shift priorities and eventually facilitated my discovery of dancing.

Re: Seen the light

never eat yellow snow

Dance related tip from an email sent out by Amir..

After each dance step try to bring your legs back together and brush your thighs.

This single tip helped me begin taking smaller steps which in turn meant I was more on balance which allowed me to keep my follower more on balance..

much , much smoother dancing style since I implemented this tip.

Thanks Amir

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    After each dance step try to bring your legs back together and brush your thighs
    ...with what, like a clothes brush? Or is it OK to just use your hands?

Live "in the moment" as much as possible for therein lies the route to happiness. It's very hard to be anything other than in the moment when you are dancing.

Similar to Wouldbe:

"It's OK for women to ask men to dance."

If this had not been impressed on me on many occasions by many people, I would still be sitting getting bored waiting for someone to ask me to dance, or I might have decided it wasn't worth going along any more if I was just going to sit around doing nothing ... it did take me 8 months to pluck up the courage to take this advice, but I really can't express how glad I am that I did!

"Live for today!"... and I am doing... I'm the happiest I've ever been in my whole 20 years of living!

"Your Thinking too much!...Don't think just Dance!"

Various people on and off the forum when I was going through a tough time with my dancing!

Now I dance...Or attempt to I save my thinking for during classes and practice!

Quote Originally Posted by Wouldbe View Post
    I want to hear the trivial and profound, the dance-related....
    "Every dance is a compromise".

Although originally offered as a dance tip it has also made me examine many other aspects of my life; friends, work, finances, health etc. A real light bulb statement. Thank you Mike the demo.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Much as I really hate to compliment Silverfox in any shape or form. He was the catalyst to a whole new side of dancing for me. His honesty about my lack of eye contact and how it made it seem as though I wasn't dancing 'with' my partner, his subsequent help breaking my 'shyness' of looking into my partners eyes, all helped contribute to far more enjoyable dances for me and hopefully my partners. (I still don't agree about the hat thing though ) I also want to thank Spice 'n' Easy for letting me practice eye contact (with much laughter) on him too before unleashing myself onto other dance partners.

Non dancing advice:
    I used to be extremely shy, until I went on the Landmark Forum Course. The most powerful thing I learnt, which changed me into a more outgoing person overnight, was that everyone was as scared as I was about making a fool of themselves by what they say or do in front of others.
    So guess what, now I don't give two hoots about making a prat of myself. (I certainly practise it enough)
    Last edited by Cruella; 19th-March-2007 at 08:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    So guess what, now I don't give two hoots about making a prat of myself. (I certainly practise it enough)
    MMM walk away from the keyboard Trouble, walk away .......

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
    Emo Philips

and a dance related one.. (well not originally dance related.. but it worked for me)

Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
    Emo Philips

and a dance related one.. (well not originally dance related.. but it worked for me)

Don't Panic
    Whatever happened to ol' Emo? I used to love his stand up...

purplehyacinth

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post

Don't Panic
    Not dance related! You obviously don't associate with the right people. There is a certain (Scottish country) dance group I could name in Edinburgh, where, in September-October, the committee and "experienced" dancers (aka willing/unwilling-but-didn't-dodge-fast-enough victims) wear t-shirts bearing the words "Don't panic" to welcome/reassure the new beginners.

So, leaving aside the Hitch-hiker's guide, "Don't panic" is, in my view and experience, dance-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouldbe View Post
    - "When a job begins to take over your life because you enjoyed it at first and now you're trying too hard to do everything, and perfectly, remember IT IS JUST A JOB. IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR HEALTH AND SANITY."

'You don't have to depend on anyone but yourself to have fun' - wouldn't have joined ceroc without that piece of advice - there's nothing wrong or wierd about joining things alone.

Dance related:
    'stop looking at your feet and make eye contact'

Thread Information