View Poll Results: Who will you vote for?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Labour

2 9.09%
  • Conservative

7 31.82%
  • Lib Dem

1 4.55%
  • Nationalist (SNP / PLaid Cymru / etc.)

2 9.09%
  • Green

0 0%
  • Other

4 18.18%
  • Dunno yet

3 13.64%
  • No-one, it's a waste of time

3 13.64%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will you vote for?

Re: Who will you vote for?

I'm voting for the SNP, mainly because the last 60 or so years have proved the 2 party system we have in the UK is inept, corrupt and deceitful with politicians vying for votes with promises that are broken as easily as pie crust and leaders forgetting they were elected to serve not rule.
    I want Scotland to be independent and free of the interference of an English system geared to English needs, I want a political leadership in Scotland that is concerned in the needs of the Scottish people, unfortunately the present regime in Holyrood is under the control of Westminster and Blair's sofa cabal.
    Before all you little Englanders jump on your conceited xenophobic bandwagons, I'm English and have lived in Scotland for 32 years AND LOVING IT!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Yep. Just that they were mentioning it. Of course all the MLAs are members of an Assembly that's not actually up and running yet...
    Yeah - the words "gravy train" come to mind for some reason...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I'm voting for the SNP, mainly because the last 60 or so years have proved the 2 party system we have in the UK is inept, corrupt and deceitful with politicians vying for votes with promises that are broken as easily as pie crust and leaders forgetting they were elected to serve not rule.
    Only 60 years? Don't you mean "10,000-odd"?

And sorry, but I'm not convinced the SNP is radically different in that way from any other political party - although yes, it does seem that Scottish Labour politics is, ahem, not exactly clear, transparent and accountable.

Also, I don't think it makes much sense for me in Finchley to vote SNP

I want Scotland to be independent and free of the interference of an English system geared to English needs
    Me too - I think independence'd be good for both countries, personally.

Hmmm, maybe I should vote SNP

, I want a political leadership in Scotland that is concerned in the needs of the Scottish people, unfortunately the present regime in Holyrood is under the control of Westminster and Blair's sofa cabal.
    Probably because most of the Cabinet seems to be Scottish...

Before all you little Englanders jump on your conceited xenophobic bandwagons, I'm English and have lived in Scotland for 32 years AND LOVING IT!
    Err, OK then
    ... waits for the promised bandwagon...
    Still waiting...
    Blimey, where's the bandwagon? I dunno, public transport these days...

I want a political leadership in Scotland that is concerned in the needs of the Scottish people, unfortunately the present regime in Holyrood is under the control of Westminster and Blair's sofa cabal.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

Probably because most of the Cabinet seems to be Scottish...
    Yes, and in the last election the conservatives got more votes than labour did in england so a labour win was hardly england's choice

I voted dont know Cameron does appeal in some of the things he says but i guess we will have to get closer to the election before the tories reveal their actual policies. Would probably be a Lib Dem voter by nature (although i have never voted for them) but have to confess i don't really know much about them at the moment. Have grown steadily less and less impressed with Labour and really don't think i could vote for them at the moment.

Groovemeister

The general election around here is a bit of a sham really as being in what was John Majors constituance and having lots of wealthy land owners means that there is and always will be one winner in this area.

I have personnally never voted conservative but as I am now a business owner and have slightly different values I have to admit to being biased towards them. I am still a bit of floating voter though and really haven't made my mind up.

Maybe this will win over a few waverers?

BBC NEWS | Politics | Cameron hair - the barber did it

Cant decide if this story being in the news is a vaguely amusing sidetrack (no pun intended) or whether it is really bad that this makes the news at all

Blog Entries

Hmmm, based on the poll it looks like a Tory landslide

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Maybe this will win over a few waverers?

BBC NEWS | Politics | Cameron hair - the barber did it

Cant decide if this story being in the news is a vaguely amusing sidetrack (no pun intended) or whether it is really bad that this makes the news at all
    Both! I consider myself happily diverted! With respect to the comment towards the end of the article, I wouldn't put it past the majority of the British electorate to vote for the person with the most hair! After all, it's as good a policy as any... isn't it?

I quite like Cameron so far. He's got a very thin line to tread, though, to avoid one of Britain's finest, fossarii reporters unearthing something 'of interest' in a bid to expose him.
    They, of course, are, on the other hand, upstanding, honest, moral templates as to how we should all live our lives!

I'm curious about the high numbers for the Tories versus the Lib-Dems...

Why, when we know what the last Conservative government was like, would folks vote to try them again? Isn't it time to try something different?

(My different option is to vote for an independent Scotland – only a month and a half or so to go...)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Well, I suppose that, to put the positive spin on it, most politicians might call this a landslide. Perhaps a little premature!

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I'm curious about the high numbers for the Tories versus the Lib-Dems...
    High numbers? I only counted 6!

Why, when we know what the last Conservative government was like, would folks vote to try them again? Isn't it time to try something different?
    Because the personality tends to be more important than the party policies for most people. Tony Blair has 'ruled' in a quasi-dictatorship for at least the latter part of 10 years, but when he first arrived on the scene, he was the honest, youthful, energetic, butter-wouldn't-melt type that people could supposedly trust. He's gone against his own colleagues so many times recently, that his party's politics seem almost irrelevant. I'm not suggesting that any other would turn out significantly different given the same office, but those early impressions often count more in determining people's opinions than the party itself. Rightly or wrongly.

Cameron has now what Tony Blair had. Who knows at the moment whether or not this can be relied upon were the Conservatives to come to power. It would seem either way that the Conservatives have come a long way since their last term of office and most recently Cameron is the public face of this.

Probably no need to panic. There'll be an influx of Sunday-afternoon voters to sway the balance I'm sure!

I'd like the chance to vote for Gordon Brown.

I did think at one time that I should vote Lib-Dem so that small groups like the Green Party would potentially get represented when proportional representation was brought in. But Green issues have apparently been taken onboard by the major parties now, and PR would probably just result in British National Party MPs taking seats in the House of Commons.

So I guess I'll stick with Gordie.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    ............and PR would probably just result in British National Party MPs taking seats in the House of Commons.
    So, you don't think members or supporters of the BNP should have political representation?

It's called democracy, however unpalatable you may find it.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I'd like the chance to vote for Gordon Brown.
    Oh, please! I'd like the chance to vote against!

Blog Entries

So, you don't think members or supporters of the BNP should have political representation?
    Well, I dunno about her, but I certainly don't, no - any more than I think it'd be right to allow any extremist hate-based group to have political representation.

We're too damn tolerant of some people sometimes - the obvious other example being the plethora of Islamo-fascist movements masquerading as religious organisations.

Blog Entries

I used to think that way - unfortunately, the recent history of the Lib-Dems, to me, doesn't inspire me with any notion that they're less sleazy or small-minded than any of the others.

(My different option is to vote for an independent Scotland – only a month and a half or so to go...)
    Whilst I agree with you that institutionally it'd be a good move* - moving power closer to the people is always a good move - I guarantee that Scottish politicians will turn out to be just as incompetent and corrupt as Westminster-based ones are.

* Plus, it's always fun to see Gordon Brown squirm when trying not to be too Scottish...

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

to be too Scottish...
    Never heard of it!
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Whilst I agree with you that institutionally it'd be a good move - moving power closer to the people is always a good move - I guarantee that Scottish politicians will turn out to be just as incompetent and corrupt as Westminster-based ones are.
    Based on the track record of the MSPs so far, they are just as incompetent and corrupt as their Westminster colleagues.

But at least they're our incompetent and corrupt politicians.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Based on the track record of the MSPs so far, they are just as incompetent and corrupt as their Westminster colleagues.

But at least they're our incompetent and corrupt politicians.
    Absolutely - that's the institutional part of it. And they're closer to home so can hopefully better hear you yelling at them

The worst things Thatcher did, to my mind, was centralisation of power and trivialisation of local / regional democracy.

And the best things Labour have done, to my mind, have been to partially redress this imbalance (devolution, London mayor etc.) - John Smith's legacy, of course. I wonder what the country would have been like after 10 years of a Smith government?

It's called democracy, however unpalatable you may find it.
    In theory, I concede they should. In practice, the prospect fills me with disgust. So, I'd rather stick with our existing brand of "democracy" which, at present, excludes them.

Thread Information