Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How Much?

Re: How Much?

Bless ya for your kind words ofsupport and encouragement!

Hadn't thought of anyone puking...is there no end to the list of possibilities?

Oh well, only a few months to go, then got the 14 year old to plan for....oh, no forgot! Booked her into Southport to meet / watch the Gods of WCS ..maybe she won't want another party after that?? Always the optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    giving different party bags based on sex
    Just want you all to know that I am virtuously resisting temptation here.

...it hurts so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    By the way. Good Luck. Hope no one pukes on you.
    Blimey!!!!

don't serve any alcohol!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    On a purely aesthetic note, I find the marketing drive to seperate small children into "girls" and "boys" ugly and out-dated. .......
    Martin, Martin, Martin. Surely we've moved on from that temporary, if fashionable in certain femanistic circles, nonsense. It isn't just marketing or conditioning; it's basic biology. You know; XX or XY (though I know it's not quite as simple as that).

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Surely we've moved on from that temporary, if fashionable in certain femanistic circles, nonsense.
    Apparently we've moved on to a place where girls are little women, and need false nails and lip gloss, and boys are little men, and need little miniature condoms.

Aww, it's so cute!

Apparently we've moved on to a place where girls are little women, and need false nails and lip gloss, and boys are little men, and need little miniature condoms.
    We have also moved on to a place where no one bats an eye lid when a 28year old man wears a pink alice band in his hair and dances with other men (which is as it should be, IMO)

Sometimes, Martin, your attitude to certain things just doesn't go with your usual perception of life. I thought you were an 'anything goes as long as you are happy' kind of a guy.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

By and large, little kids do develop gender-related interests, at a very early age (1+ years) - frankly, I don't believe that's down to marketing influences, there's a large part of it that's genetic.

Marketing is there because of the differences - it doesn't create the differences in the first place. Although it may well help to entrench them.

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    On a purely aesthetic note...
    I'm not saying that girls are the same as boys, I'm just saying that, to me, having everything sold to children sold in a pink version and a blue version is ugly.

Blog Entries

I'm not saying that girls are the same as boys, I'm just saying that, to me, having everything sold to children sold in a pink version and a blue version is ugly.
    whats ugly about it. Girls like feminine things and boys dont. Pink is feminine and Blue is not (generally though us girls can make blue look very feminine). There is nothing ugly about it really is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    What's ugly about it?
    Matters of taste are notoriously subjective. For me, it's ugly because it squashes the huge diversity of childhood into two boxes, and reduces the subtle differences between the sexes to false nails and whoopie cushions. You obviously don't share my distaste, and that's 100% fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    whats ugly about it. Girls like feminine things and boys dont. Pink is feminine and Blue is not (generally though us girls can make blue look very feminine). There is nothing ugly about it really is there.
    Traditionally (i.e. about 100 years ago) it was pink for little boys, and blue for little girls.

Somehow the conventions were reversed by around the middle of the 20th century.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I had a military upbringing. We had parties - invited friends over, Mum made cake, everything was served on paper plates or plastic cups, on a paper table covering so Mum could just sweep the whole lot into the bin bags. Then we were shoved outside with large, cheap sponges and buckets of water. Fights were fun, only a few tears (which a chocolate roll and some jelly babies usually solved quite quickly) and then they were all packed home with their piece of birthday cake in a napkin. The good old days ;-)

Thread Information