Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops! That didn't work...(frivolous)

Oops! That didn't work...(frivolous)

So I've got a shedload of digital photo files, across some forty or so directories and subdirectories, and I want to pick some to print out REAL BIG to hang in my flat ('Come and see my etchings...) but there are so many of them.

Been going through them using Adobe Bridge, flagging the ones that might make good pictures. Then I set Bridge to search for all the flagged files; the plan is to save the search results as a 'Collection', so that I can browse through the collection and pick the pics to print! I name the collection 'Good photos' ( - as a label rather than a description, you understand).

There are 904 pictures in 'Good photos'.

That didn't work then...

Re: Oops! That didn't work...(frivolous)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    So I've got a shedload of digital photo files, across some forty or so directories and subdirectories, and I want to pick some to print out REAL BIG to hang in my flat ('Come and see my etchings...) but there are so many of them.

Been going through them using Adobe Bridge, flagging the ones that might make good pictures. Then I set Bridge to search for all the flagged files; the plan is to save the search results as a 'Collection', so that I can browse through the collection and pick the pics to print! I name the collection 'Good photos' ( - as a label rather than a description, you understand).

There are 904 pictures in 'Good photos'.

That didn't work then...
    Have you tried google picasa as a photo organiser.......I am a real non-geek and even I can manage using this!!!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Have you tried google picasa as a photo organiser.......I am a real non-geek and even I can manage using this!!!
    Yes, it's brilliant and its FREE!!!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

i concur - upload could take a bit of time though

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I bet it doesn't after the initial upload, it will ask, "do you wish Picasa to scan your entire computer for photos" (or words to that effect) and hey presto, whoopy do, there they are, all organised, according to date

It's so easy and clear to navigate, with some handy photo adjustment tools too and it also stores your Mpegs and movies!

I love the 'Timeline' feature!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I bet it doesn't after the initial upload, it will ask, "do you wish Picasa to scan your entire computer for photos" (or words to that effect) and hey presto, whoopy do, there they are, all organised, according to date
    Yes I thought it was very quick
    It's so easy and clear to navigate, with some handy photo adjustment tools too and it also stores your Mpegs and movies!

I love the 'Timeline' feature!
    Great for getting rid of dreaded red eye too

Picasa's great - I have used it many times when Alec and I are doing photos for events.

We've upgraded to Adobe Lightroom now, which is more compatible with the various Adobe programs, so that might be worth a look.

Alternatively, Barry, just send Alec an email and he'll probably be able to help if you're still having problems.

(Oh and bad Barry - another completely unhelpful thread title!)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

a spanking, a spanking, naughty Barry

sorry Lou - i just can't help myself

I've got Picasa, but then I got Adobe Bridge which is integrated with Photoshop and makes Picasa rather de trop.

Thanks for the offers, but how could anyone 'help' me with this? I now have 904 pictures to sort through and choose which ones to print off, instead of the thousands I started off with. It was my plan that didn't work, not Adobe Bridge; I just take too many good pictures .

(Picasa, by the way, took several hours to catalogue all my pictures - could be hardware limitations. Bridge was significantly faster.)

Will have to go through the 'Good pictures' collection and apply another tag - "Top rate" / "so-so" / "back burner", or something...
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 14th-March-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    (Oh and bad Barry - another completely unhelpful thread title!)
    You people just want to take all the mystery out of things...

I said it was frivolous, so that the serious people wouldn't bother at all...

Will have to go through the 'Good pictures' collection and apply another tag - "Top rate" / "so-so" / "back burner", or something...
    What about sorting them out into different styles? Then you could pick the best out of those so that you have a selection of different sorts of pictures?

I've had similar issues in the past though we've used Extensis portfolio (yuk) or Cantos 'Cummulus' (yippee!!!) when developing a DAM system for clients.

Other than filing by style, why not tag each image with descriptors, such names, dates, places, file type or resolution. This would streamline your searches (assuming your software permits you to search by key words).

Chris

Blog Entries

Thanks for the offers, but how could anyone 'help' me with this? I now have 904 pictures to sort through and choose which ones to print off, instead of the thousands I started off with. ..
    I honestly can't see how 'any' programme will help you with this task

I've just upgraded to Photoshop CS2, with the Adobe Bridge and yes, if your organised enough to give your photos 'keywords' or 'label' or 'rate'them (both the latter, under the label heading) when you upload them, it will make all future browsing and grouping easy but its a huge task to start from scratch

Maybe you can search through the 'file size'? if your going the make them huge, then choosing the largest file size might cut the stack down a bit?

I honestly can't see how 'any' programme will help you with this task

I've just upgraded to Photoshop CS2, with the Adobe Bridge and yes, if your organised enough to give your photos 'keywords' or 'label' or 'rate'them (both the latter, under the label heading) when you upload them, it will make all future browsing and grouping easy but its a huge task to start from scratch

Maybe you can search through the 'file size'? if your going the make them huge, then choosing the largest file size might cut the stack down a bit?
    Some files will be less appropriate for A3+ prints, that is true. But I'm still gonna have over 800 to sort through. Nothing left but manual slog.

Look at it this way. I'll be able to adorn the whole of my 32-bedroom mansion, after I win the lottery...

That's why I had someone do this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    That's why I had someone do this for me.
    Where's the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I disagree with everyone here!

Apple's iPhoto and (if you want to feel a bit more pro) Aperture are light years better that any of Adobe's tools that it's silly.

Buy a Mac and do your photos some justice!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I disagree with everyone here!

Apple's iPhoto and (if you want to feel a bit more pro) Aperture are light years better that any of Adobe's tools that it's silly.

Buy a Mac and do your photos some justice!
    The Mac was, indeed, first (if you discount the LISA). It is no longer the best. The market has decided, which is why Apple are only kept in business by sales of the iPod and associated crap.

The Mac was, indeed, first (if you discount the LISA). It is no longer the best. The market has decided, which is why Apple are only kept in business by sales of the iPod and associated crap.
    Sorry, but that's absolutely nonsense. Apple make money on both the Mac and the iPod and they are still the best for non-text media.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Sorry, but that's absolutely nonsense. Apple make money on both the Mac and the iPod and they are still the best for non-text media.
    Nah. Got to agree with Barry on this one, especially because of the "associated crap" line

Anyway "still the best" suggests the Mac was always the best for none text media - whereas the Amiga was far superior for video production in the past, a mantle now taken by the PC. The Mac was always good for publishing and photo related software but then, now, so is the PC

Thread Information