Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hanging up the ole size nines..

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Hanging up the ole size nines..

Will do. Will join you all on a night out at some point. Will remain active on the forum for alittle while.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    After several months of dancing like a chip with a broken leg and tonnes of personal stuff going on, I have decided to give dancing an indefinate break, therefore won't be seeing the regular forumites at classes and freestyles.

I don't feel like I have been on form with my dancing at all this year and can't get the enjoyment or pleasure from it that I once could and feel that giving it a rest for an indefinate period is prob the best thing I can do.

If I get back in to dancing or not will remain to be seen but the way i feel about it all at the moment, it is very unlikley.

Will remain active on the forum for awhile and have got Chill and Jive time booked for April so will have a final dance with everyone there.

Lee
    XXXX
    It is a sad day when anyone gives up dancing Especially when it's somebody like woodface: he's so enthusiastic

What I think woodface needs to do is to recalibrate his expectations: there are some things you just don't get from dancing. My advice is to find something you enjoy about dancing and focus on that.

We all get something different from our dancing. Some people do it for exercise, some for the simple pleasure of dance , some like to show off , some do it to meet people, some do it for money, etc, etc.

From reading woodface's posting on here it seems that he constantly seeks approval. And he's obviously not getting enough of it! Oh, and he likes to rank his performance against others too.

To correct the balance;

Woodface is a fab spinner, I've never seen better.
    I expect woodface will win at Blackpool.
    Everyone agrees that woodface is the best dancer anybody has ever danced with.
    Woodface is so much better than me I should stay off the floor when he's dancing.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    From reading woodface's posting on here it seems that he constantly seeks approval. And he's obviously not getting enough of it!
    I don't think that it's unusual! We all like to be complimented and the seeking of approval is part of most peoples insecurities. There are no bigger critics than ourselves!
    In which case do you think this mickey taking would be helping or hindering to Woodface?
    Woodface is a fab spinner, I've never seen better.
    I expect woodface will win at Blackpool.
    Everyone agrees that woodface is the best dancer anybody has ever danced with.
    Woodface is so much better than me I should stay off the floor when he's dancing.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I don't think that it's unusual! We all like to be complimented and the seeking of approval is part of most peoples insecurities.
    Absolutely right. As they say on one of the management courses I've attended "praise is the manager's oilcan". And, "we should always be looking for opportunities to praise".

However, should we be constantly asking for praise? What message does that send? And how does it make you feel when somebody craves your praise, asks your honest opinion and you know they will not like the truth? Should we really be putting people on the spot by asking those questions?

(The above paragraph is based on the section of that particular management course that is headed "who questions, leads". )

In which case do you think this mickey taking would be helping or hindering to Woodface?
    Good question. My answer is that it's a boy thing, it's how we cheer each other up

By the time you get to my age you realise that gentle mickey taking definitely isn't a girl thing. But sometimes that doesn't stop you

Blog Entries

This isn't aimed at anyone, to quote the Blues Brothers "if the **** fits, wear it!".

We're all approval junkies. We all love the pat on the back, the approving smiles and the congratulations.
    It's just that some people do what they do and appreciate it if they get it, others actively seek it all the time and get upset when it doesn't arrive. In fact some people don't even realise they're doing it.

Yes, it's a bloke thing, taking the p1ss instead of comforting and giving the approval that someone is seeking. I'm not saying that you should give the pat on the back if you don't think it's deserved, but sometimes the p1ss-taking gets tiresome and it's more appropriate to just stay quiet.

We may be blokes, but it doesn't mean we should constantly trample on other peoples feelings.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Andy's Micky taking is fine and all taken with a pinch of salt. If we don't have humor we would all be depressed.

It's not really anything to do with praise or critisism. It's more to do with being bored of the same old songs at the same old places and the fact that at this moment in time, I have alot going on.

I will prob be back in to it sooner than I expect. Even this morn a tune was on the radio and I was dancing in my head to it.

Then again, With making the music and stuff, that may take over dancing as the thing I want to do all the time.

Im sure after Chill and Camber, I will know one way or another what is best.

It's more to do with being bored of the same old songs at the same old places...
    At the risk of providing solutions (another "boy thing"), consider another style of dancing. You'll get new songs at new places, with new people, and a new way of moving.

"praise is the manager's oilcan".
    Good phrase!

However, should we be constantly asking for praise? What message does that send? And how does it make you feel when somebody craves your praise, asks your honest opinion and you know they will not like the truth? Should we really be putting people on the spot by asking those questions?
    True if we ask for opinions we must be prepared to hear the truth. Praise loses it's power when it's asked for. (Especially if you're female) Because then the subconscious says, well he only said it because i asked for it, he didn't really mean it. (Or is that just me? )
    Maybe we should think more about the power of voluntary praise in comparison to the damage of criticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor
    Good question. My answer is that it's a boy thing, it's how we cheer each other up
    Blimey, and guys say women are hard to understand!

Blog Entries

Praise loses it's power when it's asked for. (Especially if you're female) Because then the subconscious says, well he only said it because i asked for it, he didn't really mean it. (Or is that just me? )
    Not just you, and thanks for the info. Explains a lot about why I fail to dig myself out of the sh1t in certain situations!

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Not just you, and thanks for the info. Explains a lot about why I fail to dig myself out of the sh1t in certain situations!
    Wouldn't matter how big your shovel was, if you've said the wrong thing. What ever you say after will be twisted to make the situation worse. We are great at making anything fit our purposes. A bit of advice, jump in the hole and bury yourself until the flowers arrive.

Blog Entries

Wouldn't matter how big your shovel was, if you've said the wrong thing. What ever you say after will be twisted to make the situation worse. We are great at making anything fit our purposes. A bit of advice, jump in the hole and bury yourself until the flowers arrive.

men such a immaterial bunch.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post

We're all approval junkies.
    Yikes. I've already admitted to being a dance addict today on another thread. Now I have to admit to being an approval junkie too. Are there any support groups out there. Hello my name is........

Praise loses it's power when it's asked for. (Especially if you're female) of voluntary praise in comparison to the damage of criticism.

Blimey, and guys say women are hard to understand!
    On Top form today Cruella.

Twirlie bird
    -x-

I will prob be back in to it sooner than I expect. Even this morn a tune was on the radio and I was dancing in my head to it.
    Decent floor in there?

Commercial Operator

Lee, I dont think that we have ever met. But simply to say I can empathise with you on this...... I hope it works out for you whatever you do. Good luck.

Mike

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Decent floor in there?
    I wonder if it's sprung maple?

I wonder if it's sprung maple?
    Andy & Barry, you are both just jealous cos' Woodface is younger, fitter, sexier and funnier that both of you put together.

The more you take the p1ss, the more obvious that becomes.
    Last edited by Double Trouble; 12th-March-2007 at 03:15 PM.

Re: Hanging up the ole size nines.. erm.. elevens !!

Well I'm temporarily hanging up the old size 11's .. at least for couple more weeks until my shin splints get better.

Some days I'm fine(ish) .. some days I can't walk.

But I will be back.. I feel like the boy that cried wolf (or is that wulf?) Had many excuses when I didn't want to do dancing, but now that I really want to get back dancing my darn legs won't let me.

Perhaps I'm going to have to see the physiotherapist as Twirly suggested after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Andy & Barry, you are both just jealous cos' Woodface is younger, fitter, sexier and and funnier that both of you put together.

Oh god, he's not a fireman is he?

D

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Andy & Barry, you are both just jealous cos' Woodface is younger, fitter, sexier and funnier that both of you put together.

I'm not sure I like this new, nice, Double Trouble? Can't we have the old one back, she told it like it was rather than the pack of lies above

Of course woodface is younger than the two of us put together - that sum comes to 112*

*and I'm only 26

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Having not met Woodface or Barry I cant comment, but Andy scores straight 8's for fit and funny; with a jump to 9 for sexy - its only youth thats passing him by . We should have a poll, but we'd have a lot of very dissapointed people

Thread Information