Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Utopia reviews (10/03/07)

Re: Utopia reviews (10/03/07)

By the way .. just to clarify ... I thought there were plenty of men to dance with ... and dance I did ... all night (apart from when gossiping with Dizzy).

Just wanted to be sympathetic the some of the ladies who reported to not get enough dances cos I know how that one feels!

Btw ... am always looking for willing victims to practice my lead on ... so if any ladies get really really bored silly ... please ask!!!

SuzyQ x

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    I have another theory (it is just a theory after all). A lot of the better dancers can be just that because they have found that by dancing near the edge of a floor they have one complete side where they don't have to worry about some numpty crashing into them - hence they can concentrate on the dancing more and do a better job.
    Personally, I'm a corner dancer. That way, you have 2 sides you don't have to worry about!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman
    I did find the amber floorlight near the pillar between the rooms was often dazzling,
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    It was actually aimed at you....
    OK, can I have limelight then
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    By Btw ... am always looking for willing victims to practice my lead on ... so if any ladies get really really bored silly ... please ask!!!
    Hey, isn't that discrimination against us guys?

Greg

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
    My perception was that the floor was crowded {snip complicated but accurate description of what getting a dance was like at Utopia last Friday}
    Although I was gasping for breath after reading FL's post I totally agree with her analysis...
    It was almost like some men just picked a place on the floor and stayed there, changing partners as frequently (or infrequently) as they wished while the women had to try and grab them between partner swaps. If you were one of the unfortunate women who's partner decided to go and change or go to the bar (or were surrounded after a partner swap by men who were hanging on to their partners) then you ended up walking off the floor and finding it almost impossible to get back on again - it was a bit like a strange version of musical chairs

The answer to more dances is, as always, to be more pro-active; but to do so without feeling like a stalker is more difficult.
    This wouldn't, however, solve the problem of too many people on the dance floor - and I'm afraid the Utopia team are at a slight disadvantage there due IMO to the pillars in the room, which can make navigation difficult (I had a dance between two of them with Chris A and it was very tricky not to collide with them or other people). Maybe slightly fewer people is the sacrifice to make for selling out each event and keeping the atmospheric venue?

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

I had a fabulous evening on Friday. I love the atmosphere at Utopia, the whole team work really hard to make sure everything looks good and runs smoothly - I watched them all running about like crazy things on Friday afternoon while I was patiently waiting for my stylist to turn up

I didn't notice there not being enough men, I managed to have one every time I wanted to play although I missed out on a dance with Marc and Nigel
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

It's a tough one for the organisers. I wonder how many of those people who have mentioned that they felt it was overcrowded, whether on here or in person, would be willing to give up their place at the next Utopia in order to ease the problem. Any volunteers?

I thought not.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Any volunteers?
    I didn't think it was over crowded at all compared to say, Hammersmith.

I had a great night and there were plenty of men to choose from (I mean to dance with...don't start).

I've booked and paid for the next one and I can't wait.

Well taken me a while to think about last Friday as i was not sure whether it was me or not, i was beginning to consider Woodfaces idea of taking a sabbatical might be in order as i was not really dancing well at the moment, but getting home last night and wanting to go out dancing made me realise i do still love it just that i can't dance at the moment.

Firstly the music did not light the fire in me, probably because my music exposure is not that wide and has mainly been down to radio type stuff. The last event the music was much more to my liking and i was able to play with it, this time not having heard the majority of the tracks before i found it very hard to interpret the music. This is not necessarily the fault of the DJ's more my own. Therefor i found the music to challenging and did not ask many ladies to dance as i felt my skills were seriously lacking and did not want to inflict my self on any good dancers, and i felt intimidated by the skills around me, and for me to feel intimated by anyone takes a lot (17 ish stone and 6ft1 of me).

I would there for like to thank Fletch and DT for putting up with me, oh and 1 other lady whose name i did not get and of course Frankie_4711 as she always puts up with me (maybe more to do with her having a very long walk home otherwise).

I also felt the same at Camber in the blues room during a good number of DJ's sets so it might be just me, or are they all trying to play the most challenging unheard music ever, probably just my under exposure though.

The venue at twickenham was fab as always and you are made to feel so welcome when you first arrive and everyone is very friendly. I am looking forward to the next event though and intend to try and get a dance to a nice slow bluesy track with Val before David claims her for good with a ring and stops her dancing with other men.

So ladies please if you see a slightly scared fat bloke sitting looking like a rabbit in front of a car and feel you could make me dance please please ask me as i might not be able to pluck up the courage otherwise and i need to get out of my slump..

Gent.
    Last edited by Gentabout; 13th-March-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Any volunteers?
    OK - in the interests of selflessly enhancing the quality of dance environments for others, I volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentabout View Post
    Well taken me a while to think about last Friday as i was not sure whether it was me or not, i was beginning to consider Woodfaces idea of taking a sabbatical might be in order as i was not really dancing well at the moment, but getting home last night and wanting to go out dancing made me realise i do still love it just that i can't dance at the moment.
    I thought our dances on Friday were lovely...I genuinely don't understand why you think like that.

Firstly the music did not light the fire in me, probably because my music exposure is not that wide and has mainly been down to radio type stuff. The last event the music was much more to my liking and i was able to play with it, this time not having heard the majority of the tracks before i found it very hard to interpret the music. This is not necessarily the fault of the DJ's more my own. Therefor i found the music to challenging and did not ask many ladies to dance as i felt my skills were seriously lacking and did not want to inflict my self on any good dancers, and i felt intimidated by the skills around me, and for me to feel intimated by anyone takes a lot (17 ish stone and 6ft1 of me).
    I did think the music wasn't anywhere near as good as last time. I thought it needed to be a bit more uplifting and funky...for example, they played some Stevie Wonder tracks the time before and that was great.

I would there for like to thank Fletch and DT for putting up with me, oh and 1 other lady whose name i did not get and of course Frankie_4711 as she always puts up with me (maybe more to do with her having a very long walk home otherwise).
    The pleasure was all mine

So ladies please if you see a slightly scared fat bloke sitting looking like a rabbit in front of a car and feel you could make me dance please please ask me as i might not be able to pluck up the courage otherwise and i need to get out of my slump..
    That's it....I'm gonna stalk you for dances all night next time....you will be sick of the sight of me.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    OK - in the interests of selflessly enhancing the quality of dance environments for others, I volunteer.
    You're an inspiration, sir - I salute you
    In fact, what the heck, I'll even join you.

Wow, I feel all altruistic now

I would there for like to thank Fletch and DT for putting up with me,

Gent.
    we had a loverly dance, well I liked it

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I did think the music wasn't anywhere near as good as last time. I thought it needed to be a bit more uplifting and funky...for example, they played some Stevie Wonder tracks the time before and that was great.

i'm with you on this one babes, but i'm a Stevie Wonder kinda girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    i'm with you on this one babes, but i'm a Stevie Wonder kinda girl
    We need an 80's Soul night, I don't think most of it would really fit the Utopia atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    We need an 80's Soul night, I don't think most of it would really fit the Utopia atmosphere.
    we do need an 80's soul night and it might change the atmosphere

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    we do need an 80's soul night and it might change the atmosphere

I'd love an 80s soul night too !! Vince has some great 80s tunes (we were dancing around the chalet to them at Camber on sunday afternoon) - perhaps we could persuade him to do a one off !

(lets take bets on who is the first to make a smutty remark)

FL

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
    (lets take bets on who is the first to make a smutty remark)

FL
    I don't do smutty...I'm a Ladeeeey...!

The best music at Utopia was when Vince was on. I get the feeling he is a bit of a soul boy at heart. Play more soul Vince...we will love you (even more) for it.

Interestingly, as a chap, I said to one of the ladies on the night that I thought the gender balance seemed slightly out

Being fragile at the mo, I didn't dance nearly as much as I would've liked especially as I really enjoyed the music - again!

In the interest of altruism, I too will sacrifice my attendance at the next couple of events. Oh alright, I'm going away with work, but I'll be back for more Utopia in a couple of months

(snip) and of course Frankie_4711 as she always puts up with me (maybe more to do with her having a very long walk home otherwise)(snip)
    It's not that far (not saying I want to try it tho!)! There must be some other reason! Can't think what it might be!
    Last edited by Frankie_4711; 13th-March-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    The best music at Utopia was when Vince was on. I get the feeling he is a bit of a soul boy at heart. Play more soul Vince...we will love you (even more) for it.
    A David Soul boy maybe....he does like a Silver Lady

Thread Information