Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Utopia reviews (10/03/07)

Utopia reviews (10/03/07)

Yet another great night. The Utopia experience is consistently good.

I barely left the floor all night and still hadn't danced with everyone I wanted to by the end of the evening.

Finishing the night with a handbag dance to Boogie 2Nite was a great communal experience. Amazing how many people were there who were dancing to the same track at 6.30am last Sunday at Camber.

We didn't get to hear "In Public", the dirty dancers were very restrained, and there weren't any fights!

Re: Utopia reviews (10/03/07)

Don't tell me you missed the fight it was all over by the time you got there, I managed to wrestle Marc to the floor to get me (beaver) back, only to discover I have now left my dress in the cloak room and my camera on the table.

I couldn't get into the music last night, i'm just an old fashioned girl there wasn't enough for me to sing a long to, you know the feeling you get when a track comes on and you go ...ooooo I love this one and start looking around for a man to dance with.

I did have some special dances two with Frank oooo I just love your foot work, and Simon R I didn't quite keep up but I didn't make a complete twonk of myself I don't think.

I love the track at the end of the evening, I will have to talk to OXO'S about Utopia this Friday, i'm not sure if they will get the concept in Evesham, they will probably think its just 'Fletch' handbag dancing again.

Got home at 3.45 see you all at Hammersmith tonight

A very good night and worth getting home this morning at 3.40am! I couldn't believe it when it was announced that there were only two more tracks to go - I thought it was about 11.00pm!

Lovely to see Frank and Sheena again - Frank, your footwork and expression are soooo cool! I think I counted five Ladies queing to dance with you at one time

Thanks as ever for the dances, although one Gentleman owes me a few more I think?

Elaine
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    ........Lovely to see Frank and Sheena again - Frank, your footwork and expression are soooo cool........

Wasn't it - so lovely to see them both - didn't get my dance with Franck though but DID get a dance with the lovely Simon (thanks Elaine) just as wonderful to see you two

Loved the last dance too, and those Trouble Sisters can dance bag boogie but my fave on that last dance was Dave the Scafolder (you rock babe ) - Gav and were watching with amazement

Well done VDV and a special thank you to "Behind the Scenes" Bill - such a lovely man and he worked so hard yesterday

Roll-on April 13th

BTW lovely to meet the new Fletcherette - great dancer - thanks

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Got home at 3.45 see you all at Hammersmith tonight

You should buy a campervan!

Now this did start off as a sensible suggestion and I even went to look at suitable Vehicles but then I found This

Compact or what!

Then there was This

These are both daft in their own right but can you imagine the poor sod who walked up to either of these as Fletch tried to unravel to escape from either dressed in a posh frock to go dancing!

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

BTW lovely to meet the new Fletcherette - great dancer - thanks

I hope he wasn't inappropriate with you Minnie

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post

You should buy a campervan!

These are both daft in their own right but can you imagine the poor sod who walked up to either of these as Fletch tried to unravel to escape from either dressed in a posh frock to go dancing!
    I did look at changing my car for a convertible recently, but decided I wouldn't be able to get all my suff in it for weekenders and it would properly blow my hair so i'm keeping the people carrier (Fletchmoblie) well the Fletcherette's need transport, anyone remember 'Josie and the Pussycats'

Glitter Queen

I enjoyed Utopia last night. The music was really good and hit a real high towards the end of the night. Lots of my favourite dancers there and great atmosphere and lighting as before - the crew obviously continue to work very hard to make the evening a success.

I did feel it was very slightly too crowded near the beginning of the night and my perception was that there were a few too many ladies (sorry ladies ) - fighting for a dance and sitting out are not my favourite ways to spend the evening . However, these are very minor points, as luckily it is also a great social occasion, so I had friends to chat with while I was sitting out .

Roll on the next one!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    These are both daft in their own right!
    This is much more suitable for Fletch!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    Everything Sparkles said!
    Thanks for writing that, you've saved me the job.. cos you've expressed my feelings perfectly!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I agree with Sparkles, I thought there seemed to be a few women sitting out too. At all the previous Utopias I have never had to chase people for a dance (sorry Franck, but you kept running. ) Music and atmosphere, as usual superb. Best of all, so many white shirts!

Agree with the 'too many ladies' comments, I thought it was just me!

I hate stalking, but confess that a couple of hours in, I did, 'cos I felt that one dance with Franck was fair

First time I've been - lovely venue. It is great to have that more challenging music 'available' outside a weekender environment. But, although it's wonderful to hear different and sometimes completely unfamiliar music being played, I did start feeling a bit overwhelmed by the challenge. The beauty of different rooms at a weekender is being able to 'warm up' in the comfort zone of the main room with some energising faster dances (and go back there for a mental rest) before going into/back to the blues room where I find that the music is generally more challenging to interpret. So it took me a while to get into last night - but once I did, it was a good 'un

Had some fabulous dances - including with a couple of unknowns. Sadly I had to leave just after midnight as yet another old injury was playing up (I'm a loose woman, falling to bits). But even so, Utopia was a good night for me. Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    Agree with the 'too many ladies' comments, I thought it was just me!

I hate stalking, but confess that a couple of hours in, I did, 'cos I felt that one dance with Franck was fair

First time I've been - lovely venue. It is great to have that more challenging music 'available' outside a weekender environment. But, although it's wonderful to hear different and sometimes completely unfamiliar music being played, I did start feeling a bit overwhelmed by the challenge. The beauty of different
    rooms at a weekender is being able to 'warm up' in the comfort zone of the main room with some energising faster dances (and go back there for a mental rest) before going into/back to the blues room where I find that the music is generally more challenging to interpret. So it took me a while to get into last night - but once I did, it was a good 'un

Had some fabulous dances - including with a couple of unknowns. Sadly I had to leave just after midnight as yet another old injury was playing up (I'm a loose woman, falling to bits). But even so, Utopia was a good night for me. Thanks all
    Thanks for everyone's kind comments. Just as regards the 'extra' ladies, there were actually 3 guys over last night on the gender balance so that is a little bit of a mystery - there wasn't football on in the bar last night was there??

Maybe the guys felt intimated by the big Scottish personality dominating the floor with the baguette in his pants

Maybe the guys felt intimated by the big Scottish personality dominating the floor with the baguette in his pants
    TOO FUNNY! wheely chair shot back, hit the shelves... ouch! snigger
    Has to be said though, Mr David Rokov, you sooo know how to slow dance, you still came 2nd to baguette man though

Lovely night , thanks

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Thanks for everyone's kind comments. Just as regards the 'extra' ladies, there were actually 3 guys over last night on the gender balance so that is a little bit of a mystery - there wasn't football on in the bar last night was there??

Thats very strange. It certainly felt like there were too many women and that you had to stalk to get a dance. Once you were on the dance floor it was easy to stay on, but once you left, it was hard to get back on. It was also too crowded for me, as I felt that whoever I was dancing with and I had to concentrate on floorcraft more than interpreting the music which wasn't the case at the first Utopia (I was unable to make the last one due to the Southport Lurgy)...

maybe the women that were there were fussier than the men

Foxy

Well well what a difference a positive attitude makes. Had a great night at Utopia last night danced my little socks off.

Best dance of the night for me was with Top Bird, a truly mustard dancer, i just wish i was a beter dancer to stretch her.

Atmosphere was marvellous and i danced with everybody that i could have.

I have now been well and truly Fletched.

Music was great, was there a discernable difference from last time? Or is it me?

I have stopped trying to be the best now, and i am now just enjoying each night for what it is. Sometimes we as dancers can back ourselves into a corner and see no way ahead, however when we realise that each dancer is individual we can relax and enjoy each dance for what it is. Basically a couple of minutes of pleasure.

In summary i had a mustard night enjoyed it immensly and would advise everyone to retry a venue that was a disaster first time around.

Well done to all the staff at Utopia and a special thanks to Minnie for support and love since the last Utopia. XXX XXX

I found that the hall nearer the DJ appeared to be crowded, whereas there was plenty of room to dance in the other 'room'/half

There were quite a few men outside smoking and I noticed quite a few holding the bar up

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder
    Well done to all the staff at Utopia and a special thanks to Minnie for support and love since the last Utopia. XXX XXX

(thanks for dance )

BTW loved your disco dancing (see post above)
    Last edited by Minnie M; 10th-March-2007 at 05:31 PM.

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Quote Originally Posted by foxylady View Post
    Thats very strange. It certainly felt like there were too many women and that you had to stalk to get a dance. Once you were on the dance floor it was easy to stay on, but once you left, it was hard to get back on. It was also too crowded for me, as I felt that whoever I was dancing with and I had to concentrate on floorcraft more than interpreting the music which wasn't the case at the first Utopia
    I had a good night but felt that it didn't quite reach the mark like the one in February did. Perhaps it was because I was still recovering from Storm

Lovely challenging music though and I did have some great dances

Was the "three men over" comment based on the entry list or who actually turned up?

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    I had a good night but felt that it didn't quite reach the mark like the one in February did. Perhaps it was because I was still recovering from Storm

Lovely challenging music though and I did have some great dances ....
    IMO That is the beauty of Utopia - slightly differenty crowd + guest DJ changed the atmospher a little - but it was still an ace night.

April, could be different again - you just gotta be there to find out If it was exactly the same every month we would get bored

BTW interesting question someone asked me last night "Is this your first time at Utopia" (I must be loosing weight not to be noticed )

--ooOoo--

Loved the last dance too, and those Trouble Sisters can dance bag boogie but my fave on that last dance was Dave the Scafolder (you rock babe ) - Gav and were watching with amazement
    Now then now then Gav Trouble and Double Trouble did nothing but take the p*ss out of my dancing, for the last dance, saying i looked like everybodys favourite embarassing dad.

Me being a jaffa as well.

Many thanks Minnie you are a diamond. XXX XXX

IMO That is the beauty of Utopia - slightly differenty crowd + guest DJ changed the atmospher a little
    That's why I like it - in comparison to other things I've been to it's still way out in front

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    April, could be different again - you just gotta be there to find out If it was exactly the same every month we would get bored
    I'm hoping I will be. Just need to be quick on the email Monday...

Thread Information