Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner Moves Query

The Forum Legend

Re: Beginner Moves Query

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    If you are worried about your abilities, stay around for the freestyle and ask the teacher to dance
    Absolutely....

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    You have yourself a forum stalker. and her name is DT.
    Run. Run away. Fast!

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    For gods sake take up karate or long distance running. Prefrably both.
    Sage advice!

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    All the other dancers are doing beginner moves too – it's just that in their embarrassment, they've learnt how to disguise them better.
    Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    These days, I only really do beginner moves. It's surprising how a few small variations can make the same move look and feel completely different.

Completely agree with these. I'll prove it to you next week too...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Try and find moves that'll let you do different things.
    And remember that although *you* will be dancing the same moves in different combinations all night, every leader will have a different 'set'. Followers who dance "with anyone" genuinely do get plenty of variety during a freestyle

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    And remember that although *you* will be dancing the same moves in different combinations all night, every leader will have a different 'set'. Followers who dance "with anyone" genuinely do get plenty of variety during a freestyle

On Saturday I was (trying to) dance with everybody. A couple of the best challenged me with their intermediate moves, and I enjoyed re-remembering their individual styles.

However there was a guy who had only been for two classes before he came that night. When he was asked to dance he got up with shy enthusiasm and although he only remembered a couple of moves it was lovely to enjoy a relaxed and very in time and connected dance with him.

All I can say is that I have serious respect for the bravery it took to come, and that if he continues (I hope I didn't scare him by asking for a second dance later on ) and keeps his connection and his smile then we will have a lovely lead in the making.

Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by the whale View Post
    Hi

I'm the only one in the entire room (as far as I could see) who's doing beginner moves!?! Now, being a bit of a conspiracy theorist, I think sh1t, what have I done? Have I unwittingly crossed a barrier that should never be crossed?

D
    Not sure what more i can add to the comments above. However, i shouldn't worry - if someone is that bothered about what moves are done that they won't dance for a few minutes with someone who has only recently started then that is their problem rather than yours

Remember that although *you* will be dancing the same moves in different combinations all night, every leader will have a different 'set'. Followers who dance "with anyone" genuinely do get plenty of variety during a freestyle.
    A few women say this type of thing with much confidence, and then get all shy about their limited repertoire when it comes to their own leading. I guess it shows that nervousness isn't logical. Amuses me, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    My advice is look around at intermediate moves that suit you. Try and find moves that'll let you do different things. Try different ways at blending them in.
    I was also thinking ahead to the months and years to come. The wider variety of "tools" you have, the easier you'll find it when someone starts muttering about "light and shade", "developing your own style", "dancing in crowded places" etc. So if you're going to start doing intermediate moves, going for a variety will probably pay bigger dividends in the long run.

Thread Information