View Poll Results: Women - have you ever paid for a fictitious male to get a weekender place?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 12.50%
  • No

7 43.75%
  • I haven't, but would consider it.

7 43.75%
  • I would never do this.

4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many weekender women pay for a ghost male?

Re: How many weekender women pay for a ghost male?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I think that "all-inclusive" deals seem to be going out of fashion slowly, in some areas at least, as the "pricing management" technology improves - e.g. digital telly pricing.

Ideally, a pay-as-you-go approach could mean that the overall quality of each "component" would improve - because if it's no good, no-one will pay for it (in the same way that buffet meals are generally less good quality than a la carte).

Of course, that also means that popular classes will be seen as good classes, which is not always the case - some areas are just niche...
    I don't care if its going out of fashion or not. I like the 'turn up and everything's included, decide each day what I want to do in terms of rooms to dance in and classes on offer' of current weekender formats.

And I don't like having to decide whether or not I want to pay for classes before I find out who is teaching what.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I don't care if its going out of fashion or not. I like the 'turn up and everything's included, decide each day what I want to do in terms of rooms to dance in and classes on offer' of current weekender formats.
    Sorry - "fashion" was a poor word.

I meant to say "business trend" or something - i.e. businesses know they can make more money overall if they levy a lot of small charges rather than one big one, because customers are given choice.

And yes, all-inclusive does save you from having to make too many choices - on the other hand, there's no quality control. I mean, I went to a weekender where Amir was teaching Jango at 9am Sat and 9am Sun - what sort of quality is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    And I don't like having to decide whether or not I want to pay for classes before I find out who is teaching what.
    Well, I doubt it'll happen any time soon - it's clearly a major organisational challenge, and obviously you don't want to make it hard work for the attendees, or stress them out. But I think some increased granularity in organisation may be a trend...

why should my friend pay £149 for a single room when he can pay £118 for say a two male or male /female room and just not have the other person there. I 'pretend' he has a friend
    I think that actually if you book a ghost person you are effectively paying more for the same standard than you would as a singleton. If I book as a single woman sharing it's £69. If booking with a ghost man it's £138. Quite a hike. If I didn't want to share it would only be an extra £30, so that would be worth it if you were desperate I guess.

Of course there are some men out there I would happily pay the extra £69 for..... I'm sure there's a dubious joke there somewhere.....

In the meantime we girls have to be very quick off the mark when booking!! The last Jive Time one I went to was hugely over on women, 30 something women over in one class I went to and a scrum for dances on the freestyles. Needless to say I left the class. I won't be booking another weekender with them, but I would if I was a bloke!

Well, I doubt it'll happen any time soon - it's clearly a major organisational challenge, and obviously you don't want to make it hard work for the attendees, or stress them out. But I think some increased granularity in organisation may be a trend...
    It already is. People booking Breeze can opt to pay (I think) £20 less but for that you aren't allowed to do any workshops or have any access to the main room for dancing. That's the idea, to offer a discount I suppose, but to me it also means you pay £20 more if you want to do classes - but there are no details available about the classes or who is teaching etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Degodier View Post
    In the meantime we girls have to be very quick off the mark when booking!! The last Jive Time one I went to was hugely over on women, 30 something women over in one class I went to and a scrum for dances on the freestyles. Needless to say I left the class. I won't be booking another weekender with them, but I would if I was a bloke!
    To be fair to Jivetime - it would still be possible to have 30 women over in a class at a weekender even if relatively well gender balanced - if its a class that has 500 people in it and more women decide to do it than men.

Agree about the scrum at freestyle. Being shy wee thing I'm not quick enough off the mark for some of the guys I want to dance with most of the time anyway, never mind having to wade through a layer of women 3 deep round the edge of the dance floor.

I think that "all-inclusive" deals seem to be going out of fashion slowly, in some areas at least, as the "pricing management" technology improves - e.g. digital telly pricing.

Ideally, a pay-as-you-go approach could mean that the overall quality of each "component" would improve - because if it's no good, no-one will pay for it (in the same way that buffet meals are generally less good quality than a la carte).

Of course, that also means that popular classes will be seen as good classes, which is not always the case - some areas are just niche...
    The organisers should be taking note of numbers and responses to classes anyway, the feedback from pay-by-class should not be required.

The one payment model allows for more innovation. The punters do not have to guess whether something completely new will be worth the money, they can sample it for no extra charge.

I think that actually if you book a ghost person you are effectively paying more for the same standard than you would as a singleton. If I book as a single woman sharing it's £69. If booking with a ghost man it's £138. Quite a hike. If I didn't want to share it would only be an extra £30, so that would be worth it if you were desperate I guess.
    sorry figs quoted we fact as of now

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    The organisers should be taking note of numbers and responses to classes anyway, the feedback from pay-by-class should not be required.
    More feedback is always useful - plus, it's not fair to compare numbers of a class at 9am on a Sunday morning with a "primetime" class at 5pm on a Sat afternoon...

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    The one payment model allows for more innovation. The punters do not have to guess whether something completely new will be worth the money, they can sample it for no extra charge.
    Associating monetary values with items is a good measure of quality - that's what we do with pretty much everything else in life. And more ganularity gives more information about which specific areas are valuable.

a scrum for dances on the freestyles.
    I've never found it a "Scrum" on the dance floor at any weekenders.

Needless to say I left the class
    Never do the classes so can't comment.

I won't be booking another weekender with them
    Another woman less
    My work here is done

More feedback is always useful - plus, it's not fair to compare numbers of a class at 9am on a Sunday morning with a "primetime" class at 5pm on a Sat afternoon...
    It seems to me equally unfair to compare revenues from classes at those times.

Associating monetary values with items is a good measure of quality - that's what we do with pretty much everything else in life. And more ganularity gives more information about which specific areas are valuable.
    monetery valus reflect demand, which is based upon marketing and experience. People do not know how good a class will be until after it is over, but they had to pay before it started.

Lump sum prepayment means that novel classes and new teachers can be introduced and it carries no monetary penalty for the attendees to try them. This is one reason why weekenders have so improved the scene for those that never attend them as well as those that do.

Thread Information