Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Storm March 07, the aftermath

Re: Storm March 07, the aftermath

A faaaan-tas-tic weekend! I was in such a *&%$-ing awful mood when I arrived as I was late after a rubbish day at work and it was peeing down incessantly, but all was well within 10 minutes of hitting the dance floor. They should definitely make Ceroc available on the NHS and promote Camber instead of counselling!

The speed of the floor was perfect (at least I found). The dances were amazing - so many great dancers in such a small space.

Class-wise the Cuban Blues did it for me, particularly the second class of the weekend. Mark and Rachel if you're reading... WOW! Thoroughly loved every minute and can't wait to use what I've learned and hopefully pick up some more.

Very cool to meet some new people. Had a lovely chat with Fletch. What a star and what a wardrobe!!! Never seen so many different outfits on one person in two days! Very cool also getting to know better people I thought I already knew well. Long live Salomons!

And not that I want to turn this into a "kissing-strangers'-bottoms" thread, but Jamie your dancing was inspirational though I think I missed the infamous dance people have been talking about. The others were impressive enough!

Thanks all for such a great time.
    Last edited by Wouldbe; 5th-March-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouldbe View Post
    And not that I want to turn this into a "kissing-strangers'-bottoms" thread
    Nor me, however I must say (having stayed upstairs for most of the duration) I stood and watched CentrAlex dancing in awe, just fantastic and inspirational

Fletch and Witty - thanks for the dances, you're both fab

Double Trouble - nice to meet you but I couldn't find you for a dance later in the weekend!

I enjoyed the classes, highlights for me being Howard and Nicola - simple and stylish moves that you can actually use in freestyle and a lovely light-hearted teaching style. Oh and of course Steve and Lida doing the mini-aerials - my brain wasn't quite in gear before 11am on Sunday morning hence why SA ended up on the floor We thought it best to sit out the rest of the class!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Oh and of course Steve and Lida doing the mini-aerials - my brain wasn't quite in gear before 11am on Sunday morning hence why SA ended up on the floor We thought it best to sit out the rest of the class!
    Know how you feel. I ache all over today as a result of that class!!! My fault entirely. Should've warmed up and down properly, but didn't have time the hours of stretching needed before a 10.45am class after the night before! Managed not to drop CO, but felt somewhat inadequate not coping with such a light lady in all those moves.

They say practice makes perfect. In this case practice causes immobility! Will have to leave it a couple of days till I try again!

Anyone for an armjive?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Jamie wins first place.
    Not you as well

I wonder if Jamie can spin plates as well as his admirers

go Jamie, go Jamie, go Jamie

Very cool to meet some new people. Had a lovely chat with Fletch. What a star and what a wardrobe!!! Never seen so many different outfits on one person in two days! Very cool also getting to know better people I thought I already knew well. Long live Salomons!

And not that I want to turn this into a "kissing-strangers'-bottoms" thread, but Jamie your dancing was inspirational though I think I missed the infamous dance people have been talking about. The others were impressive enough!

Thanks all for such a great time.
    why thank you honey

sorry I din't manage to get you a dance with the most popular Fletcherette but as you can see he was in grate demand

I came back down stairs not long after 'that dance' to be pulled to one side by someone saying, one of your Fletcherette's has just had a dance, and I wasn't impressed carn't you keep 'em in line

I missed the dance cos I was having a similar experence up stairs with the fabulous Paul

For anyone one watching I hope I didn't offend, it was all about 'the dance' somehow I don't think i'm his type

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Fletch and Witty - thanks for the dances, you're both fab

!

You to Turbo what a weekend

Anyone for an armjive?
    That i'll be Jamie

I'll be in for it when he logs on, he left mine at 5 and should be home, but would think he is quite exhaused, and gone straight to bed

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
    Contrary to my fears the music played really hit the spot for me, and the teaching I saw was excellent. We only really participated in Paul F’s classes – Paul you were great, so natural. This was my 3rd WCS class at a weekender and Paul’s teaching really made the concepts stick like no-one I’ve seen before him. I was even being led in swing by some very patient partners in freestyle! **Anyone know any regular classes in the Central region?**
    Aww, thanks Rebecca I really appreciate that.
    The feedback we got was fantastic which makes me think that WCS really does have a place at the weekenders.
    I have to give credit to Catherine though for pointing out things to me. I tend to sometimes get over-enthusiastic when talking about dance. As she is a pro dance teacher she really helped me to cut out the waffle so I didnt bore people to death I could go on for hours!
    Much of the structure for the lessons was worked out through chats with a lady from the US so all I really did was stand on stage and say it!!

The usual issue came up though. I can pretty much guarantee now that I will have to tell at least 5 people per class "Sorry, there just isnt any WCS classes in your area"
    As for Central though doesn't Paul (JiveP) teach classes somewhere? I need to know as some folks from Cambridge were asking.

I had a fab time - a little different than expected as it had dancing high and lows, but the lows I turned into social with the girlies so weren't actually lows.

My fave dance was with the very sexy Russel Saxby but had lots and lots of lovely dances. Martin Harper you rocked this weekend - absolutely fab, and your dancing shyness has seemed to have gone completely

But the weekend defnitely goes to Jamie he stole the show, and who was that fabby tall chap you were dancing lots with - you looked really great together.

I spent lots of time during the day in my chalet watching the classes and the great dance films. Was looking forward to seeing the amazing Mike Ellard teaching the Foxtrot - however all I saw was a pair of boots on the stage and his voice (the camera was pointed to the stage, but Mike was teaching on the floor )

Was very disappointed not to hear OXO's set found out his set was quite early in the evenng - however had lots of fabby dances with him instead. Do wish we knew the DJ's rota beforehand

(Fave set(s) was Marc's closely followed by Rocky and Foxy but Sally was on form too, she turned a very quiet room into a buzzy one loved her latin tracks great watching Mike doing the cha cha with our lovely Lory )

Spent most of the time downstairs (as normal) don't have any complaints about the music it was all very good - however, a little misplaced at times (too slow too early and too fast later etc)

Music upstairs was surprising good most of the time, but couldn't get the dancers to reflect my mood of the dance - not really complaining as I enjoy dancing with beginners too, however not too many when the music is good (hope I'm not turning into a dance snob - sorry)

Did anyone else notice how hot it was downstairs on Saturday night - yet much cooler upstairs (a first) however on Sunday it was reversed (back to normal hot up and cooler downstairs)

Water cooler machines fantastic and they seemed to be always full

Thank you Mike and his wonderful team for a great weekend. (and thank you Sparkes for the yummy cake on Sunday night )
    Last edited by Minnie M; 6th-March-2007 at 12:53 AM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

A lovely weekend on and off the dancefloor.

Highlights:

1. Hour after hour of gorgeous dances with gorgeous dancers to gorgeous music. I'm still in heaven.

2. So much laughter with Les and Steve, punctuated by even more laughter with Mel and Sarah.

3. Watching crazy friends going off to skinny dip in the sea, and seeing them blue, but still alive afterwards.

4. A great lunch at The Place with Gerry, Celia, Debbie and Annie. Scallops to die for.

5. Watching Gerry do aerials with Mike and Linda's baby during lunch at The Place.

6. The almost overwhelming sense of happiness at 6.30am on Sunday morning as everyone was smiling at each other doing the final, solo dance. And again on Monday morning.

7. Witnessing an amazingly beautiful pink sunrise as I left the blues room on Sunday morning.

8. Playing DJ with my new hifi and ipod and prompting the people in my block to come out dancing in the rain.

9. The professionalism of the way the event was run. Well done to Mike and all the crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    ..............As for Central though doesn't Paul (JiveP) teach classes somewhere? I need to know as some folks from Cambridge were asking.
    Yes, he doesteach WCS, in Corby on Sunday afternoons about twice a month. Details should be on UK-WCS: UK West Coast Swing - Homepage or else contact Paul as above or pm me for details. The ext session is on Sunday 11 March from 10.00-13.00.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    IBut the weekend defnitely goes to Jamie he stole the show, and who was that fabby tall chap you were dancing lots with - you looked really great together.

If it was the guy with the baseball hat on that was Paul...otherwise known as......no,no, Fletch's lips are sealed

he is my new additon to the Fletcherette's he gives you a good 'Jamie special' but defiantly not for the shy retiring type, I just about coped

I agree the weekend defiantly goes to Jamie, this young man still hasn't been dancing 12 months yet, and IMO is the brightest star to appear since I have been on the seen, and at only 20 should and is having he time of his life, good for him.

Good bits

Again cant fault the easy entry and straight in with key /car parking place etc

The weather was bad driving down felt sorry for the security guys im sure they do a fab job and go largely unnoticed , polite despite getting soaked as they stood outside of the car (I arrived 10ish) etc

For me thought the standard of dancing was better then last year and I had one of my best weekenders ever

Having the cabaret early means the 50/60% of people who don’t want to watch it don’t have to I guess

Extra floor space makes a big difference, id say there was as many there as Franco but without all those chairs tables at the side in main room and with additional flooring felt like more space (apart from a few hrs on Saturday)

Big powerful fans that dry your hair quickly

The moon display nice of ceroc to arrange an eclipse of the moon as well, raising the bar

Bad bits

Someone talking to me for 3 or 4 mins and knowing my name etc etc and me not having a clue who they were

Tango again too many in the class and when you tell 30 women to scatter you get confusion. I got bumped a lot/ why they cant just have 50 men 50 women sign up and have room I don’t know. It was taught fine

Sunday afternoon class re ladies styling/wiggling, cant remember what it was called . haven’t a clue what it actually was . 30 women over became 4 women over within 10 mines and loads walked off. I walked off after 15 mins without a wiggle in sight

Left 2am Sunday home 4am up 6.47am for work.

This weekend really shows me that it’s the people that make a weekender and they were the best

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Good bits

This weekend really shows me that it’s the people that make a weekender and they were the best
    YOU MEAN YOU DIDNT MISS ME

I had a fantastic time with some amazing dances

Sunday was the best day for me. Great time dancing in the boudoir when ZW was in charge (meeting some more forumites along the way ), then a great evening where I managed to keep going until the end Temperature was much better downstairs on Sunday night so that definately helped. And the music.... . Bad form to mention my favourite dances but if you felt the same, you'll know who you are

Paul F - your WCS classes were superb Explained so well and with great commentary (though I'm still not sure what a squircle is )

Didn't go to many other classes as I was saving myself for the evenings though did go to S & N's Coasters class Sunday morning - again , I love your teaching style

As for the parking issues, I paid my tenner and parked with no problem but my chalet mates (who didn't book a space) had my details (as group leader) and their car reg taken from them when they got there and were told to park as close as they could to their chalet and then to enjoy the evening Nothing about separate car parks. No wonder people ended up parking on the verges

And a final thanks to ZW for keeping me company and providing fab tunes for the drive down

So all in all a superb weekend - feeling exhausted now and miserable that I'm still not there (though not sure if my body could cope with any more dancing), but at least it's Utopia on Friday

See you there...

What a great weekend!!!!

Highlights for me:

Ericks DJ set on Friday night which got me out of my demotivated state

The Footwork Fusion class on Sat by George Rundle which included a great combination of dance styles.

Mike Ellards' really fun Cha Cha Cha class Sat arvo in the Hurricane Shelter

Low lights: Errr none

Well done Ceroc!!!!

*sigh* It's over, post Storm blues

The not so good list (had to think hard to get this one going ).
    Until Saturday at around 12:30am, I thought the music in the main room was perfect, after that, I felt it could have had more variation in pace sometimes. I agree with the above poster who said some sets seemed unremittingly fast paced. Even the most hardcore trundlers amongst us occasionally like a change of pace.

The car parking situation needs to be sorted. That must have been horrible for those affected.

I didn't get my Ceroc cup, they'd run out!!!!!!!

The good list;
    IMO first weekender I've ever been too where the organisers got the length of the caberet(s) right.

I don't think I had a dance where I came off not enjoying it all weekend.

This good list could go on forever...
    Just about everything else! I had a fab time. This is far and away my fav weekender.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    *sigh* It's over, post Storm blues

The not so good list (had to think hard to get this one going ).
    Until Saturday at around 12:30am, I thought the music in the main room was perfect, after that, I felt it could have had more variation in pace sometimes. I agree with the above poster who said some sets seemed unremittingly fast paced. Even the most hardcore trundlers amongst us occasionally like a change of pace.
    Interesting i thought they was far too much variation on the friday night and it settled down on the saturday sunday in the main room and to an extent in the other room

i dont want to be dancing to 25 different paces per hour

i bet the stairs going back and forward to the two rooms were more used on friday

I dont know why there are an extra 25 steps put in those stairs by sunday

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Overall, I had a far better weekend than I ever expected and came home on a real high!

I had a few lows but not really anything I can blame anyone for...

Arriving in the horrendous storm and stepping into a huge puddle (I think the same puddle caught more than a few people out)

Seeing Underpar and not being able to dance with him (it was like being asked to hold an ice-cream and not allowed to lick it ) You'd better be OK for Friday Paul!

My own stupidity! I'd asked someone if we could dance to the next track that suited us more, the next track happened to be a beautiful Tango (perfect IMO) And I waited like a plonker but he blew me out!

On the Monday morning, having the chalet maids open my door 4 times before 10-30 to ask me to leave the door wide open when I leave!

Highs..

Dinner at Sparkles and Robd's, thanks for the invite guy's, great food and great company!

'THE' dance, with Spice'n'easy

My head and neck massage from GD (or was it Cruella? Hey, who cares? )

Having Marc pay me the biggest compliment I've ever had in my entire time dancing! Thank you so much hun!

My unexpected dinner date with JiveP. I was absolutely starving but couldn't face eating on my own! So, what was potentially a devesting low, turned into a real high!

ZebraWoman's Sack the DJ spot, on Sunday afternoon!

Enjoying time spent with Toni, ZW and FL, thanks girls, from the bottom of my heart!

My 'Pump it' WCS with Kev.

My Cha Cha with Mike Ellard

My Tangos with Msfab

My Funky 'whatever they were's?' with the FoxyFunkster

I could go on and on but I had so many fab dances, with so many of you fab forumites that I'd be here all day it I was to try and name everyone!

But the absolute highlight was Monday morning in the Blues Room from about 1-30am onwards, the music was just superb, every track was a winner, so funky and yet so mellow too and I had an absolute ball with the handbag dancing, the atmosphere was incredible! (SEE HERE, sorry its terrible quality! Therefore, i'm afraid it'll only make sense if you were there! But at least you'll be able to enjoy the singing! )

Well done to all the organisers for delivering the goods, once again!

Photos to follow.....
    Last edited by Lory; 7th-March-2007 at 12:25 AM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Didn't feel that there was the same "buzz" that there was last year, but good weekend on the whole. Only real low points were down to me random mental crap blah blah blah - and stupidly/irritatingly managing to spring my knee on Sunday afternoon (thanks for the tubigrip UP - enabled me to have a few dances Sun night, although my following was far from its already limited best).

It would have been good to have workshop lists *before* the weekend and DJ lists posted somewhere at the weekend

The wristbands were *much* better this year - no sharp edges and didn't catch on hair/clothing like last year's. They were looking very scruffy and grubby by Sunday afternoon though. And are still pink (for girls), yuk.

High points:

Spent quite a lot of time in the main room and had some fabulous dances with people I've never seen before in my life (but hope I recognise them if ever in the same place at the same time again). Music generally so-so-ish, but the dancing was good - particularly Sunday afternoon.

I was loving John Baker's set in the blues room on Saturday night although my best dancing in there was probably the Sunday afternoon freestyle hour.

Chair dancing and beginner blues (as lead with MH following - thanks ) workshops were both great fun.

And I had a fab chalet mate

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Photos to follow.....
    Here they are..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

ok, my thoughts

Bad bits

the puddle on the path outside my room which meant i had to go the long way round to get to my door (or thro the mud at 6am when there is thunder and i am scared )

coasters room not as full as i would have liked

not a huge range of nice and healthy food! but you kinda expect it

Good Bits

my fabby room mate yliander

my fabby car mate witty

getting to practice with micks

sunday night staying in the main room for a few hours after being in the chill out zone all weekend

dancing with all my favorite leads

dancing with myself to "aint no other man"

Pole dancing class with yliander ( what was the name of that cream for bruises you told me, i found another few bruises on inspection last night)

getting asked for a 3rd in a row by simonr

the compliment and lovely dances from paul (harris, not sure of forum name) who i finally managed to dance with without messing up!

funny bits

gordon powell asking rocky for a screw on my behalf!!! (a corkscrew before i get shouted at)

i had a really fab weekend made even better by the people i had around me. The caberets were great especially Simon and Nicoles one, it gave me goosebumps!

Well done to everyone on the team and crew for storm

Thread Information