Thread: Treating Road-burn?

Treating Road-burn?

On the way home from Jive, tonight, I had a bit of an....argument..lets say....with a peugeot, driven by some FAT dude who was even too lazy to drive a little bit out of his way to avoid me. As you can imagine, I came off second best, was knocked off my bike and hit the floor as he drove away. (f*c*i*g a*s*h*l* didn't even stop to check I wasn't dead - this was in a well lit area, I have 2 lights on the back of the bike and one on the front, and I hit the car on the way down, so he MUST have noticed me at some point!!)

Anyway, I'm mostly ok. Bit shaken up (my dad was killed in a similar accident, so you can imagine!!) but none of the important bits of me hit the floor - I have some scraped knees, I've ripped my pants and jacket and I KNOW I'm gonna hurt in the morning!

Anyone have any good cures for aching-ness I can try out? About the best I can think of is a nice, hot radox bath, but I've used so much of that recently, I think I'm becomng immune to it! Any better ideas, from the wise people here at cerocscotland forums??

Re: Treating Road-burn?

Poor you. Try arnica?

Registered User Little Yellow Fish's Avatar

Oh my God, I hope you are ok??

I would suggest a warm bath and a hot water bottle (not at the same time obviously!). Did you get the guys registration number? What an @rse! I hope you feel better soon

Vicki xx

You should still report this to the police.

It may be that the idiot got guilt and went in to a police station unbidden, or a passer by who didn't stop got guilt or the police may have stopped someone in a blue peugot for other reasons etc etc.

Bear this in mind tho - from experience if this happened Thursday evening how you feel this morning will be nothing compared to the stiffness and aching you will get tomorrow.

Soaks in the bath are good... maybe a sauna, jacuzzi and gentle swim to help your muscles as they stiffen up?? (unless your cuts and grazes make it too uncomfortable of course...)

Hope you feel better soon, you must be pretty shaken.. Make sure you take good care of yourself in the next few days.!

Ok, in my giddiness, I probably over-exxagerated it, and it sounds so much worse than it was....it was more of an 'assisted fall' than anything. He just got a bit close, and clipped my handlebars with a wing mirror.

Surprisingly, I feel fine today - I'm dissapointed at the lack of war-wounds, almost! All that and not even a flamin bruise!!

Blog Entries

Mythical, it is great to hear that you are not feeling too bad today.

As Trousers has suggested (and if you can bear all the hassle of going down to the police station), you should report the incident to the police, especially if you have all or part of the registration number. Although I do not know much about this area of the law, it seems to me that the motorist may have committed at least one road traffic offence - failing to stop at the scene of a road traffic accident. If he has not subsequently reported it, then he might also commit the offence of failure to report an accident involving personal injury. Although you may feel that your injuries are relatively minor in the circumstances, you were knocked from your bike and have the abrasions to show for it.

There's more information on this stuff here. I don't do much cycling, but I'm doing a lot of road running at the moment and some motorists do not leave a safe distance when passing me. It is not a very pleasant experience.
    Last edited by Divissima; 2nd-March-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Definately report it, especially if you can remember the car type, moderl, colour and any of the reg plate.

Registered User Little Yellow Fish's Avatar

Glad to hear you are ok today. It still might take a few days for you to show aches or pains though. Plenty of baths!!

I agree with everyone else - you really do need to report it to the police. Even if he didn't hurt you too badly, who knows what the idiot could do to someone else.

Take it easy,
    Vicki xx

Commercial Operator

Hey babes. Have some of this...

Some people need their heads examining. How can one human hurt another person and not stop. They didn't know how hurt you were.

So pleased that you are feeling OK today. Hope tomorrow morning is just as nice and you really have escaped the war wounds.

Twirlie Bird
    -x-

Don't get too excited about getting a response if you go to the police. A couple of years ago a driver ran into the back of me, whilst I was sitting on my pushbike at some red lights. My mudguard was damaged and rear light broken. I took the driver's details and reported it to the police. They chose not to proceed and didn't even caution the car driver - who said she didn't think I was going to stop for a red light, because I was a cyclist!

(Then again they took 8 hours to respond to an intruder actually in the house - who even came back a couple of hours later, to finish what he started!!)
    Last edited by Rhythm King; 3rd-March-2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Grammatical revision

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post
    Don't get too excited about getting a response if you go to the police. A couple of years ago a driver ran into the back of me, whilst I was sitting on my pushbike at some red lights. My mudguard was damaged and rear light broken. I took the driver's details and reported it to the police. They chose not to proceed and didn't even caution the car driver - who said she didn't think I was going to stop for a red light, because I was a cyclist!

(Then again they took 8 hours to respond to an intruder actually in the house - who even came back a couple of hours later, to finish what he started!!)
    On the other hand this was an injury accident, which I would expect to get higher priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythical View Post

Ok, in my giddiness, I probably over-exxagerated it, and it sounds so much worse than it was....it was more of an 'assisted fall' than anything. He just got a bit close, and clipped my handlebars with a wing mirror.
    You should still report it though. Driving away from the scene of an accident is a very serious offence.

Thread Information