Thread: Grand Designs

Grand Designs

Did anyone else see the program last night? Wow to the owners and the skilled craftsmen who completely transformed a wreck!

Elaine

'The 15th Century Castle, Skipton

The series kicks off with a 90-minute special following the most epic Grand Design to date. Kevin meets Francis and Karen Shaw, who are embarking on a heroic battle to save a crumbling, overgrown, romantic 14th-century castle in the heart of the beautiful Yorkshire Dales.'

Re: Grand Designs

It was awesome ... I thought the couple were incredibly brave to even attempt it ... look fantastic even half finished.. .

English heritage seemed less than helpful at times though

Brilliant.

Its a programme that I always look forward to.
    There have been some incredible programmes in these series and one has to admire the courage of these people for taking on such monumental tasks.Although it must be realised that most if not all seem to have an awful lot of money to throw around(800,000 in this case) and invariably they are designers or architects.Nevertheless a fasinating programme.
    You have to admire the workforce too.Willing to stay on site in caravans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hudson View Post
    It was awesome ... I thought the couple were incredibly brave to even attempt it ... look fantastic even half finished.. .

English heritage seemed less than helpful at times though
    Yes, I also thought English Heritage were pretty unhelpful!! For heavens sake, they even acknowledged that the building would probably fall down in about 4 years if left untouched! I was on the point of sending them a ranting EMail, but they did seem to redeem themselves in the end!

But I think that perhaps English Heritage could have footed the archiologist's fees though!

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    Brilliant.

Its a programme that I always look forward to.
    There have been some incredible programmes in these series and one has to admire the courage of these people for taking on such monumental tasks.Although it must be realised that most if not all seem to have an awful lot of money to throw around(800,000 in this case) and invariably they are designers or architects.Nevertheless a fasinating programme.
    You have to admire the workforce too.Willing to stay on site in caravans.
    Agreed that it took an awful lot of money! The pair took one heck of a gamble and emotionally were very attached to the building AND! they really could have lost all their money if English Heritage and the relevant Government Department didn't come through.

I do resent the smug g*ts that can be seen in programs such as relocation though - especially when they can spend £750,000 on their main property and then another £180,000 or so on a little pad in Spain - jealous? Me? Damned right I am!

Elaine

Elaine

I was completely mesmerised from start to finish of the programme... which is unlike me, who hardly ever looks at the tv... unless I am completely desperate...

my hats off to anyone who takes on a mammoth project with the dedication and courage it took them to finish the job..

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    Did anyone else see the program last night?
    I didn't see it but I think its repeated tonight on More 4 (I hope so, as it sounds like I missed a goody)
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I didn't see it but I think its repeated tonight on More 4 (I hope so, as it sounds like I missed a goody)
    Ohh, thanks for that I shall record it for Mr Darcy - I missed it yesterday

Didn't watch it all, was working (code for loitering on the forum) but saw the penthouse at the end, and that view!! I'd just sit there for ever gazing at it.

Registered User Little Yellow Fish's Avatar

Its a show I never miss. Sad but true - I love it! I think its by far the best of these types of 'home' shows.

I loved the house last night. When I saw where they were during the rebuild I kept thinking "this must be a 2 parter". Then I realised it was a 90 minute special and became a bit more hopeful that they would finish. I absolutely loved what they did to it in the end.

Did anyone see the More4 show afterwards? Naomi Cleaver from 'Other Peoples Houses' was on. She went to the Shaws castle and to be polite - she didn't like it. I missed it, but my brother was outraged at her comments such as... "no atmosphere, no character, was it period or modern?" Apparently the fab Kevin McCloud didn't think much of her opinion either

I watched this too and Loved it.. it looked amazing at the end!
    I only got to watch this cos i couldnt go to my usual class at the friary due to a massive thumping headache and i dont even have More or E4 so wil miss it every wed , why cant they put it on a tuesday or a thursday!!

I caught the last half hour of it last night on "more4 +1".

I was well impressed. Especially by the budget – who would have thought you could turn the shell of a castle into a (mostly) complete home for three quarters of a million?

All it really lacked was a dungeon and a grand ball room.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    I do resent the smug g*ts that can be seen in programs such as relocation though - especially when they can spend £750,000 on their main property and then another £180,000 or so on a little pad in Spain - jealous? Me? Damned right I am!

Elaine

Elaine
    Sorry if this is a bit off thread.

Where I am at the moment,working on Boavista Golf Resort in Portugal there are a lot(eventually to be loads) of properties being built ranging from apartements,semi detached villas and villas.The price range is from about 350,000 Euros to 1.25 Million and the majority of them are holiday or rental homes.Like you Elaine,boy do I envy these people.These properties are empty more than they are full.I keep thinking to myself that they must eventually get to almost saturation point not just with the amount of properties built but also with the number of people who can afford them.

did anyone see last nights Grand designs? My god what an abomination!! in the end they paid 80k (not a great sum in the scheme of things) for a three bedroom floating bomb shelter !!

It started off well, but their insistance of sticking to scrap materials only compromised the build IMHO (and I-Kevin McCloud's-HO too . There's nowt wrong with being eco friendly and recycling.. but one side of their houseboat looked worse than my dad's homebuilt shed back home! the windows they installed were cracked and broken and the double glazing was full of water!

In the end they had fallen out with their builder, their mooring and were evicted from the boat and were in court seeking an injunction allowing them to live there!

the oddest build I've seen on Grand designs for ages.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    did anyone see last nights Grand designs? My god what an abomination!! in the end they paid 80k (not a great sum in the scheme of things) for a three bedroom floating bomb shelter !!

It started off well, but their insistance of sticking to scrap materials only compromised the build IMHO (and I-Kevin McCloud's-HO too . There's nowt wrong with being eco friendly and recycling.. but one side of their houseboat looked worse than my dad's homebuilt shed back home! the windows they installed were cracked and broken and the double glazing was full of water!

In the end they had fallen out with their builder, their mooring and were evicted from the boat and were in court seeking an injunction allowing them to live there!

the oddest build I've seen on Grand designs for ages.
    I think you got confused and watched "Cr4p Designs" on BBC3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    did anyone see last nights Grand designs?
    I haven't seen it yet (i think i've recorded it though) but I just love 'Kevin's View'

'There are two ways this project could have evolved. One of them was my way - which was the best way - that involved a process called design, you know, pencils and pieces of paper - that kind thing. And the other was Chris' way which involved a process called chance.'

Classic!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Ok i haven't done a grand design but it was the best i could afford....

Always watch for insperation as building design was never my bag, but having to live through this is hard work.

At one point in November /December we had no toilets ,no water and no heating.

For us guys i wasn't that bothered (wash once a month whether i need it or not), but nicole really struggled.

I want to do another but it is now convincing Nicole it was worth the heart ache.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simon r View Post
    Ok i haven't done a grand design but it was the best i could afford....
    My sister and her husband have brought a huge grade 2 listed barn, in Essex. It's in a complete state of disrepair, in fact, up till now, its been used to store tractors, old cars and several large lawn mowers, it's got an electricity supply but no running water and isn't even water tight.

They've sold their beautiful four bedroomed house, which IMO was just like something out of 'Homes and Gardens' and are now renting a small cottage in the middle of nowhere but quite near the barn to free up the money to embark on the project.. (pics below are out of the 3 bedrooms) When I was last there, a herd of deer ran though the garden!

British Heritage have been heavily involved with the planning, basically they just say NO to everything to start with, then long negotiations take place and they give 'a little' (they've stupidly been told they HAVE to have single glasing to the upstairs...which is very suprising with the new energy eficiency laws )

Finally, at the beginning of Jan, the plans were passed. And after some lengthy talks with several builders, one was agreed on and work started last week!
    I have no doubt it going to be fabulous when its done and i'm really excited for them but I don't envy all the sweat and tears the next few months will almost certainly bring.... all i can say is, good on them....

I'll take some pics of the barn next time i'm over there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lory; 15th-March-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling

No wonder people up sticks and move to France where you can actually get permission to restore old properties with relative ease. The French seem to have this crazy notion that these places are for people, not part of some sort of living museum best left to crumble out of existence.

Thread Information