Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another "neg rep" thread...

Re: Forum "direction"

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    There is no such thing as anon....

Oh, never mind. *plonk*
    Negative rep at least is a positive action in that someone feels so strongly about something they actually bother to do something about it.

I also think however, that this falls into the same category as the ignore list for discussion and yet here we have a different animal.

Putting someone on your ignore list is possibly IMO the most ridicolous thing you can do because it sends all the wrong messages:

1.) It shows that the person has got to you and instead of dealing with it you have just spat the dummy.

2.) It shows that you don't have the intelligence to simply ignore their posts - how difficult is that?! You just don't read what they say..

3.) Even worse, by making a public statement of 'plonking' you are announcing the above to the entire forum.

4.) You also put yourself in the worst possible position of the thread continuing without you and stops you having the ability to reply to whatever the ignoree says.

As I have said, at least Neg Rep is a positive action in that you are doing something - plonking isn't, it is the last resort of someone who is one sandwich short of a picnic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    As I have said, at least Neg Rep is a positive action in that you are doing something - plonking isn't, it is the last resort of someone who is one sandwich short of a picnic.
    and publicly replying to someone who has just told you that you're on their ignore list makes you look sane and normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    and publicly replying to someone who has just told you that you're on their ignore list makes you look sane and normal?
    'Corse it does because we all know they don't really ignore you they just wait for someone else to quote you..

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I've spotted a limitation in the ignore feature - when other people quote an ignored person it should say "blah blah blah blah" in place of the text. Moderators, can you help here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Ooops may be I just did, how childish of me.

*... plonk...* make it 4 on that ignore list of mine. Hey it's getting busy there
    Sorry Carrot, thought you were ignoring me why the subsequent posts quoting me?

Sorry Carrot, thought you were ignoring me why the subsequent posts quoting me?
    ha curiosity has sometimes the better of me. By the way Carotte is actually my nickmane since I was about 3 year-old and it's usually reserved to friends...

But since I've now received evidence that at least one of your other facts was incorrect (i.e. supposedly I was the only one to rep you with an off topic comment), I promise I won't bother reading your posts again.

There, 'PLONK' now... and I'll try to behave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I've spotted a limitation in the ignore feature - when other people quote an ignored person it should say "blah blah blah blah" in place of the text.
    Ah, but that way we'd miss some of the hidden gems. For instance, why not revel in the irony of
    at least Neg Rep is a positive action
    from someone who triggered this whole thread off by whingeing about it. That's what we like - consistency!

Thanks for quoting, Gav!

Blog Entries

'Corse it does because we all know they don't really ignore you they just wait for someone else to quote you..
    Shame the poor spelling and grammar lets you down then.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've spotted a limitation in the ignore feature - when other people quote an ignored person it should say "blah blah blah blah" in place of the text. Moderators, can you help here ?
    Believe me, I would if I could - it'll definitely be on my Wishlist for the next upgrade

Re: Yet another "neg rep" thread...

But since I've now received evidence that at least one of your other facts was incorrect (i.e. supposedly I was the only one to rep you with an off topic comment), I promise I won't bother reading your posts again.
    Not true. This is the only other Neg rep I have received:

'The FAQ says that if you post about recieving neg rep, you're very likely to recieve more. It's true.'

So whoever it is you're talking to is telling you porkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Ah, but that way we'd miss some of the hidden gems. For instance, why not revel in the irony of from someone who triggered this whole thread off by whingeing about it. That's what we like - consistency!
    Oh dear. Do you want me to explain how posting a negative rep is a positive action? I thought I had, but I can explain it again if you like?

Shame the poor spelling and grammar lets you down then.
    Sorry Gav, was just trying to bring it down a notch so that I would fit in a bit more better...

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

The previous few posts have probably given the wrong impression wrt to that particular rep comment, the main thing that triggered it was not only the fact that the initial post was off-topic, but more that it was about a discussion that was already taking place somewhere else (see outside) and I was bored to read it a second time when I actually was interested in the original discussion about forum direction.

Now obviously this is very clear from the rep comment itself which, originally, was aimed at Rocky only. Do I really have to quote the full rep comment? I find it quite strange to have to justify myself again...
    Just to be clear Caro, I wasn't referring to your and Rockys conversation but another situation entirely.

I just want to say that I think the forum is 'repist'. How can it be OK to mention if you have received positive rep but not negative rep? If you mention the neg rep you are likely to receive more of the same. Does this work for mentioning positive rep too?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I just want to say that I think the forum is 'repist'. How can it be OK to mention if you have received positive rep but not negative rep? If you mention the neg rep you are likely to receive more of the same. Does this work for mentioning positive rep too?
    Give it a try, see what happens...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I just want to say that I think the forum is 'repist'. How can it be OK to mention if you have received positive rep but not negative rep?
    Firstly, I haven't seen many "How very dare you positive rep me " arguments around....

Secondly, the relevant part of the FAQ - which has been lovingly crafted - does not state "it's not OK to mention neg rep", it states, to be precise:

Also, please be aware that many people see it as bad form to complain in public about specific negative reps received - it may even get you more negative rep (!).
    So the last sentence is merely a gentle reminder - you can of course feel free to ignore it, but it's then pretty silly to complain if someone (well, OK, usually MH ) neg-reps you for complaining about a neg rep.

blah blah blah
    Does that help, Scathe?

----

Rocky, you seem to be struggling to understand the rep system, given your inability to determine what rep you have received, and what posts those rep comments refer to. What you should do is click on "User CP", then click on the link next to the little red square. This will take you to the post that has received feedback. Hopefully this will avoid future instances where you come across as "telling porkies".

Once you have understood the rep system, you will be in a better position to comment on its use by others.

Commercial Operator

personally I find it despicable in the extreme and tantamount to demon worshiping
    And what's wrong with that, may I ask..........

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Does that help, Scathe?

----

Rocky, you seem to be struggling to understand the rep system, given your inability to determine what rep you have received, and what posts those rep comments refer to. What you should do is click on "User CP", then click on the link next to the little red square. This will take you to the post that has received feedback. Hopefully this will avoid future instances where you come across as "telling porkies".

Once you have understood the rep system, you will be in a better position to comment on its use by others.
    Thanks Martin, that makes more sense now.

I'm sorry, but this whole discussion seems to me to be futileĀ³.

I've only negative repped anybody once (to the best of my memory), and that was for an out-and-out offensive remark made about another forumite. Otherwise, if I object to what somebody says I'll have it out with them in open forum. That's what it's about, ain't it?

If there were a single button I'd neg rep the lot of you. (For being boring.)

(Except Caro, 'cos I like the picture in her Profile.)

And I'm pretty annoyed now that I have to justify myself, waste time to write this post, and correct what you are posting.
    I've felt I've had to do this recently a few times - not sure if I'm suddenly losing the ability to communicate, or if certain people are deliberately taking some elements of posts out of context and using them to stir things up.

And I'm not so much annoyed about having to take the time to do that, if someone has genuinely misunderstood something I've written I'm happy to clarify - but I am a bit annoyed that having to do that has dragged some discussions on well past the point of being of any interest.

And not to go OT - I think neg repping is OK if for a valid reason (rather than a cheap shot), and I do think that they should be signed. But everyone has the option to pay for membership and be able to see who has sent rep comments, so they are never really anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I've only negative repped anybody once (to the best of my memory), and that was for an out-and-out offensive remark made about another forumite. Otherwise, if I object to what somebody says I'll have it out with them in open forum. That's what it's about, ain't it?
    I've also rarely used the neg rep button, and would be most likely to use if someone was being really nasty to someone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I've also rarely used the neg rep button, and would be most likely to use if someone was being really nasty to someone.
    I've used it a lot the last week. It feels quite liberating.

Go on, try it, I dare you.

not on me though..

Thread Information