Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet another "neg rep" thread...

Re: Forum "direction"

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    As regards -rep apparently if you mention that you received them in a post you are likely to get more!
    Indeed. It's in the FAQ.

I then received another -rep presumably from the same person
    There are rules against giving rep to the same person within a short time frame, plus or minus, so presumably not. If you want to be sure, become a Silver Member. If you feel someone is misusing the rep system, take it up with a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Indeed. It's in the FAQ.

There are rules against giving rep to the same person within a short time frame, plus or minus, so presumably not. If you want to be sure, become a Silver Member. If you feel someone is misusing the rep system, take it up with a moderator.
    Thanks for the info Martin. As it happens I'm not actually bothered by it although I do think it's gutless for people to anonymously neg rep others.

I do think it's gutless for people to anonymously neg rep others.

Found something we agree on!

Though of course you could always pay up for membership then you'd see who had repped you....

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info Martin. As it happens I'm not actually bothered by it although I do think it's gutless for people to anonymously neg rep others.
    There is no such thing as anon....

Oh, never mind. *plonk*

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Now Im enjoying this thread again, all reasonable, and some good points made - the "This message is hidden because Rocky is on your ignore list." bits that appear do not not hinder the flow at all

You and I often disagree on things, so I'm enjoying this moment of unity while it lasts

Here's an example: I've just posted this..

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    .....Many of the people on this forum are of a particular profile (and there are a number of profiles that categorize public forum members). That means that the forum is by definition un-balanced. If someone then joins who is not naturally a public forumite then you can expect some disagreement.
    And yet I got Neg Rep for going off thread. So let me explaiin the relevance. Forum direction is dictated by it's members and as those members mostly fit certain profiles it stagnates unless different people become involved.
    I'm assuming you are refering to me here since I seem to have been the first one to neg-rep you with an off-topic comment.
    Since your facts are incorrect let me put things straight.
    I neg-repped you for this post in general, which is not the one you mention, and in particular for this bit:

There's no question what the 'tone' of this thread was insinuating: Hyping, mis-information etc. etc. Someone doesn't have to physically say 'lying' for one to read between the lines. As for conspiracy, witch hunt etc. etc. No one seems to have asked the question 'Why did Jivelad post in the first place?' He went to an event heard something about a weekender that he found confusing and instead of simply phoning or emailing the organizers (surely the quickest, easiest and most reliable route?)to get it straight from the horses mouth, he posts an open question on the forum. Why do you think that was
    ? Pretty simple really - he wanted to make an issue out of it.
    which has been discussed at lenght (:yawns: ) already in another thread.

Does that help?
    So no, not really. I can't assume you do that voluntarily but you seem to make a habit of stirring things up when there's really no need for it.
    And I'm pretty annoyed now that I have to justify myself, waste time to write this post, and correct what you are posting. I won't go as far as to say that you probably didn't think that I would dare show up and post that publicly since I first choose the neg-rep option, cause that'll just be making assumptions and stirring things up like you do so well. Ooops may be I just did, how childish of me.

*... plonk...* make it 4 on that ignore list of mine. Hey it's getting busy there

Interestingly as regards -rep apparently if you mention that you received them in a post you are likely to get more!
    you really don't get it do you?

I know the first name of who gave the -rep and actually did specify that in my post referring to it
    For the record I always sign my neg-rep and as others have said you cannot rep people twice in a short period of time... too bad really

I then received another -rep presumably from the same person, but don't know as it was anonymous this time. So, to that person, please go ahead and do it again because I think you are confusing me with someone who cares about what you think
    oh I feel so offended

Sorry, Caro, pos repping is pretty well benign but, if you start neg repping (Martin Harper notwithstanding), you deserve what you get in return. And those who address you as mate, and yet remain anon, are despicable in the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    I'm assuming you are refering to me here since I seem to have been the first one to neg-rep you with an off-topic comment.
    The only one in fact.. and far be it for me to point out that your entire post is off topic - so I won't bother replying to the rest of it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Yet another "neg rep" thread...

I've moved this discussion out, as it's not really relevant to "forum direction".

Blog Entries

And, seeing as there's a thread here already, I'm going to be tending towards MartinHarper's view of neg-repping from now on; I think it's a useful tool to enforce some level of civility, so I'll be hitting the big red button a little more frequently from now on...

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

So i noticed!
    So basically to avoid neg rep, we have to only talk about dance, especially Tango. No jokes or banter allowed. No going off topic at all, not even a smidgen.
    Yes?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post

You and I often disagree on things, so I'm enjoying this moment of unity while it lasts
    no you're not

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Sorry, Caro, pos repping is pretty well benign but, if you start neg repping (Martin Harper notwithstanding), you deserve what you get in return. And those who address you as mate, and yet remain anon, are despicable in the extreme.
    Why is it that some people say pos rep is benign but neg rep is not? Of course it is, neg rep is no more important to your health and general well being that pos rep is. Its laughable that people get so upset about it. All my neg rep will be anonymous from now in, because I can hear a little Daffy Duck voice saying "you're desssspicable"

Anyway, it'll help drown out the other voices in my head. Theres a little Tom Cruise on a box in there who keeps touting the merits of scientology...bah!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    So i noticed!
    So basically to avoid neg rep, we have to only talk about dance, especially Tango. No jokes or banter allowed. No going off topic at all, not even a smidgen.
    Yes?
    Avoiding personal abuse if usually a good start.

I'd also recommend reading the first post in this thread...

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Avoiding personal abuse if usually a good start.

I'd also recommend reading the first post in this thread...
    I guess we all have different ideas of what constitutes abuse!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

So i noticed!
    Yes?
    Nope. Neg Rep does not need a reason, its up to the person giving it. Its unlikely people on the receiving end with see the neg rep they get as justified for the most part but the person giving it surely does. So be yourself is the best bet, after all, why would anyone want to behave a certain way just because people tell them too

I wish I could resist these discussions... but I am weak.

Has it occurred to anyone that some of us might just *forget* to sign reps? I do - both positive and negative reps, although I'm making more effort recently since there appear to be so many people around who prefer to assume "worst possible motive".

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    I wish I could resist these discussions... but I am weak.

Has it occurred to anyone that some of us might just *forget* to sign reps? I do - both positive and negative reps, although I'm making more effort recently since there appear to be so many people around who prefer to assume "worst possible motive".
    personally I find it despicable in the extreme and tantamount to demon worshiping that not only did you not sign my negative rep but you never actually sent the neg rep itself. How do you expect me to have any respect for you now ?

... and far be it for me to point out that your entire post is off topic - so I won't bother replying to the rest of it.
    Indeed it was and I assumed (correctly) that moderators would split the thread. However I couldn't let you abuse me (even anonymously) and state incorrect facts, so I felt I had to reply to correct facts.

You'll also note that my rep comment was polite and not insulting in any way.

So i noticed!
    So basically to avoid neg rep, we have to only talk about dance, ...
    The previous few posts have probably given the wrong impression wrt to that particular rep comment, the main thing that triggered it was not only the fact that the initial post was off-topic, but more that it was about a discussion that was already taking place somewhere else (see outside) and I was bored to read it a second time when I actually was interested in the original discussion about forum direction.

Now obviously this is very clear from the rep comment itself which, originally, was aimed at Rocky only. Do I really have to quote the full rep comment? I find it quite strange to have to justify myself again...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    personally I find it despicable in the extreme and tantamount to demon worshiping that not only did you not sign my negative rep but you never actually sent the neg rep itself. How do you expect me to have any respect for you now ?
    Where's MINE then? It was your turn, I dunno, selfish smurfs, take take take

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Now obviously this is very clear from the rep comment itself which, originally, was aimed at Rocky only. Do I really have to quote the full rep comment? I find it quite strange to have to justify myself again...
    Getting serious (!) for a second:

{mod}
    No - you absolutely do not have to justify any negative rep you make, any more than you need to justify any positive rep you make. It may be just on a whim, either way.

Abusive comments, in posts or in negative reps, should be reported to the moderator team, who can take appropriate action. But reps themselves are always subjective.
    {/mod}

Thread Information