Thread: Rugby

Rugby

Well ...

The less said about Scotland and Wales this weekend the better, sadly. But God bless Ireland! I had a few celebratory pints of Guinness while I watched my own team (Wales) being thrashed.

Re: Rugby

Fabulous win for Ireland on Saturday and what a great time both team's supporters seemed to be having, that is until Ireland hammered England.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubyred
    Fabulous win for Ireland on Saturday and what a great time both team's supporters seemed to be having, that is until Ireland hammered England.
    It was a fantastic match to watch on saturday afternoon and it was so nice to see a great atmosphere between the two supporters - as it was held at Croke Park aswell.

It just shows you that it is only the football supporters that cause the trouble

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    It just shows you that it is only the football supporters that cause the trouble
    You obviously didn't ask, innocently "So what's special about Croke Park?", and then foolishly follow-up with the comment "But blimey, all that was 90 years ago..."

Rugby - great venue, Mark and Rachel teach there. Nice to see a thread in praise of Rugby. Anyone want to start one for Milton Keynes?

You know I have been really upset since the Lille game because my son was there and he is not a football hooligan. He went with his dad and ended up being attacked by three dogs because he kept going back to check his dad was ok. Then he saw a gas canister go off in a young girls face. He was knocked to the ground suffering the effects of tear gas and hit with truncheon whilst he was on the ground by a police officer. Okay I can hear the comments - man u fans and all that -blah blah. But here were families out for an occassion and children being attacked whilst they running away from the police.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    You obviously didn't ask, innocently "So what's special about Croke Park?", and then foolishly follow-up with the comment "But blimey, all that was 90 years ago..."
    Yes and at last maybe we can all move on and live together now. I felt very proud to be Irish on Saturday and the way my countrymen conducted themselves. Wouldn't have expected anything else from either side.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Yes and at last maybe we can all move on and live together now.
    Not the three NI Catholic women I asked... I was told in no uncertain terms about the British Scum...

(Hmmm, maybe they said the "British scrum" and I misheard...)

Blog Entries

We won't mention the Twickenham riots then .

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Yes and at last maybe we can all move on and live together now. I felt very proud to be Irish on Saturday and the way my countrymen conducted themselves. Wouldn't have expected anything else from either side.
    Sorry to hear about your sons terrible experience.

Well, if Ireland hadn't so resoundingly thrashed England we might be able to move on, but an entire country is sulking at the moment.

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

I'm a proud Scotswoman but.... best we just move on from Saturday's debacle - 3 tries in 7 minutes! - the kids couldn't understand why I was crying and my husband (Australian! Bah!) just kept saying things like "pitiful" and "Come on Italy!"

Loved the Ireland match though... next best thing to Scotland winning is Ireland winning!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Well, if Ireland hadn't so resoundingly thrashed England we might be able to move on, but an entire country is sulking at the moment.
    Is it?

I assumed that it was just another "England national team lose sporting event" story, they're ten a penny at the minute.

You want a national sulk, wait to see how we handle the (likely) failures in 2012...

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    I'm a proud Scotswoman but.... best we just move on from Saturday's debacle - 3 tries in 7 minutes! - the kids couldn't understand why I was crying and my husband (Australian! Bah!) just kept saying things like "pitiful" and "Come on Italy!"
    Now you know how the English feel when the Scots support "Any team that plays against England"

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

Now you know how the English feel when the Scots support "Any team that plays against England"
    Nah, I'd support England over Australia! And France! And Italy!

My order is general, Scotland (of course) Ireland, Wales, England.....after that it doesn't matter really as long as there's a British Team still in there fighting

And of course... we had such a long awful spell in Scottish Rugby that we knew the new invigorated Frank Hadden enlivend Scotland was too good to last!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    Well ...

The less said about Scotland and Wales this weekend the better, sadly. But God bless Ireland! I had a few celebratory pints of Guinness while I watched my own team (Wales) being thrashed.
    Better enjoy them before England beat wales at the millennium stadium in the last match ensuring that Wales receive the wooden spoon

Not a big rugby fan actually and after fairly half-hearted support for england i support wales (i come from the welsh borders and don't believe in all this wanting the people next to you to lose). If they win then i feel happy - if they lose then i get to take the p*ss out of all the welsh people at work. A match where i win both ways - that's my kind of sport )

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Better enjoy them before England beat wales at the millennium stadium in the last match ensuring that Wales receive the wooden spoon
    A pretty likely scenario, sadly. I won't be able to watch it though, because I'll be running a school trip that weekend to the Urdd Camp (sort of a Welsh-language outdoor pursuits centre) in Llangrannog.

i come from the welsh borders and don't believe in all this wanting the people next to you to lose
    I come from the Welsh Valleys and I do

So, any thoughts on the weekend just gone's rugby Baruch?

So, any thoughts on the weekend just gone's rugby Baruch?
    Plenty, but if I post them here I'll be banned from the forum for gratuitous use of offensive language!

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    Plenty, but if I post them here I'll be banned from the forum for gratuitous use of offensive language!
    LOL!

The Welsh team may have gelled a bit late, but it was worth it

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qHklhgRJKQ4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qHklhgRJKQ4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Well done to the Welsh for fighting until the bitter end .

The rugby this weekend has been completely nailbitting - literally - I have no nails left.

First Ireland were winning, then the French, then Ireland again and then the French. I don't understand hoe they could have awarded that last try to the French when even the referee had agreed that he couldn't see the ball or who touched it down but it was awarded and the French won by a mere 2 points overall

I personally thought that all the three games should have been played simultaneously as the French knew the difference in points and knew how much to win by. If they were all played together then it would be much fairer.

I personally thought that all the three games should have been played simultaneously as the French knew the difference in points and knew how much to win by. If they were all played together then it would be much fairer.

Suppose that having the games straight after each other boosted the total audience for the three games though - and therefore revenue from TV/advertisers at the ground

Thread Information