Thread: Whoooooooaaaaaaa......

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Whoooooooaaaaaaa......

Just got 16mb broad band from Sky.

Was very septical about it when signing up as loads of warning that you might only get up to 4mb etc etc but actual speed is close to 18mbs.

Really good deal, Free daytime phone calls, 16mb unlimited broadband and a sky package for £32

Would recommend

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Whoooooooaaaaaaa......

Wheres The Link ?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Wheres The Link ?

errr Sky.com - Home or Sky.com - Home

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

oh yes - the front page....veeeeeery useful I had a quick look but can't see any option for a £32 package - theres this packages page but the £26 package only has 8mb Broadband (and an extra BT line rental fee too of £!1) wheres the upgrade option splinter face ? huh ?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

aha this willbe the page - chop and change here £31 if you upgrade broadband + £11 lne rental - so £42 not £32 you lying liar pants on fire!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

hilariously the Sky Lying Machine is in full swing on that page. They compare their package with the Virgin/NTL/Telewest Bundle as if its a "like for like". Theirs is £31 + hidden £11 line rental - the VirginMedia XL package is £72. So with Sky we get an HDTV box with hard drive and an extra box and connection in another room then just like the virgin bundle...??? dont we ??...er...no. Thats extra

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

aha this willbe the page - chop and change here £31 if you upgrade broadband + £11 lne rental - so £42 not £32 you lying liar pants on fire!

We downgraded the sky package only got the knowledge pack, and the entertainment pack, Plus broadband upgrade plus phone calls upgrade.

But you do have to pay £11 odd to BT for line rental. Yes I did forget that bit.

Is it possible to use a wireless router with Sky broadband? A friend mentioned he had problems because they had a bespoke router or something?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

they use an almost-off the shelf wireless netgear router - thats what my friend has anyway. You can get them from ebuyer. Theirs have a nice Sky logo embossed on them but it looks normal to me and will, Im sure, still accept firmware upgrades etc... if needed. Not that they can prevent you using your own router in the first place.

Not that they can prevent you using your own router in the first place.
    That's what I wanted to hear - when I finally get a place of my own I'll probably go for the £26 package of broadband, phone and TV (though I need to check out Virgin Media as well). Previously I was spending £21 on just TV and £23 on broadband.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Heres a good bit of advice from here

I was with PlusNet, had been with them for approx 2 years.. Over the summer was experiencing dropped connections, like happened every 10 or 15mins & would take at least 5mins before I could reconnect, basically they gave me the run around, & the only sane way to contact them was via their web portal which doesn't make sense if you've lost connection! The insane way was to call & call waiting times averaged around 45mins to an hour! Bonkers.. Clearly a company that has outgrown its pond. Anyway I made the decision I was switching.. was with SkyDigital anyway so decided to take them up on their cheap BB offer. Switching is a total nightmare.. MAKE NO MISTAKE, switching ISP is NOT for the faint hearted!..

After a month of intense calling, many emails I managed to extract a MAC code out of PlusNet, however Sky could not migrate my service over seamlessly because I'm on a LLU exchange!!! Horror! Meant I had to request a cease & wait for the line to be cleared before Sky could offer the reprovide. From the moment I decided to switch til i actually got reconnected with Sky took 2 months, be prepared! I was without Broadband for approx 1 month.

The SkyBox is actually a Netgear DG834GT which was a slick upgrade to my 3 year old DG834G.
    My old box will go on eBay & easily cover the £20 registration fee I paid to Sky! The SkyBox comes preconfigured so all you have to do is unbox it plug it in & switch it on. You'll probably receive it a few days before your line goes live. Anyway the box alone will normally cost you best part of £80 on the High Street so I don't know how Sky are doing it! They must be doing some kind of deal with Netgear as the unit & packaging carries the Sky branding all over it!

I went for the Mid package which means I get the free SkyBox, 8Mb connection & a whopping 40Gb cap all for £20 sign up fee (which goes to BT to reconnect me at the exchange) & £5 a month extra to my TV package.. I'm saving a tenner a month over my last ISP!

From the day the line went live til now all fine (touch wood), averaging around 6Mb speeds which is around 2Mb faster than I was acheiving with PlusNet.

For:
    Good constant speeds on their service.
    UK based customer support.
    Free State of the Art Netgear box with all the bells & whistles.
    Massive 40Gb download limit on their £5 a month package.
    10 proper email addresses.

Against:
    Migrating isn't as straightforward as they would let you believe.
    Customer support are not all that knowledgeable on technical matters.
    The Netgear Box has bespoke firmware installed so some features are locked or not present in the settings menu. Therefore one can assume the SkyBox will not work on other networks (if you were planning on selling it or giving it away).

Verdict:
    If you can persevere with the switching nightmare you could save yourself a tidy sum. If you're an occasional user or limit your use to evenings & weekends then you might just get away with the basic package.. which is totally free! (Registration fee still applies).

Rotara's Top Tip...

Find out what exchange you're on then find out from Sky whether they can migrate you over seamlessly. If they can't then prepare yourself for a few weeks without internet... Time it so you're away when the service is down or better still ask neighbours politely if you can share their connection for a few weeks until you get hooked up, if they don't have a wireless box you might offer them your old one in payment (remember you'll be getting a brand new one!).
    The router in question seems to be this one - (according to above quote though theres a T missing in the name, so perhaps you get a newer version) Its a normal router though and you could get new firmware for it from netgear support if anything is locked in anyway.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Heres a good bit of advice from here

The router in question seems to be this one - (according to above quote though theres a T missing in the name, so perhaps you get a newer version) Its a normal router though and you could get new firmware for it from netgear support if anything is locked in anyway.
    Thats the one. It's not locked either.

Touch wood, have not had any problems at all. The probs the person above had is out of skys controll. BTW, upgrade to 16mb, No cap is only £5 extra a month plus you dont pay the £20 reg fee if you get that package.

Thread Information