Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being emotionally moved by a dance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Being emotionally moved by a dance

Usually, the dances I have are great fun (laughs/smiles/etc).

One dance I had last night, was fun - but more than that, I felt emotionally moved - I'm not sure why........difficult to explain: everything seemed so pure and we were very together. This was not like a personal attraction thing - it was the dance and how it worked out. I wasn't a million miles from moist eyes. I tried to explain to the lady afterwards - and I think she appreciated my feeling.

I wonder if anyone else has been moved emotionally by a single dance with someone they didn't know?

(Ok.....cue jokes about being moved to tears by some numpty or other).

Blog Entries

Re: Being emotionally moved by a dance

i have experienced many emotions when dancing. But i have never been emotionally moved. Normally im moved from a little shove of the hip, or a **** of the hand or a little nudge or a shout in my ear.

The nearest ive got to experiencing emotion is when i have been dancing with a partner to a nice blues number and our bodies have completely worked together. The emotion i then feel is different depending on the person im dancing with. If its a bit of hot totty then emotionally i am afloat. if its a smelly guy then emotionally i feel drained if its a numpty then emotionally i want to get a spoon, stick it into my head and draw my brain out from my nostrils.

My dancing is that bad that it has sometimes nearly moved me to tears. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    One dance I had last night, was fun - but more than that, I felt emotionally moved -
    Thanks hun.....I know I'm good but...

I think I can count on one hand the dances I have had that have had that 'wow' factor.

It's that feeling when you dont want the dance to end and you know the other person is feeling the same.

It doesn't happen often (not for me anyway) so it's very memorable when it does.

I have had very very few dances when all the blood rushes from my head and i end up limping from the floor with my hand in my pocket covering my credentials. Not happened often but when it does it is memorable. at least for me. XXX XXX

It is worse when i am dancing with another man.
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 24th-February-2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: why not

Commercial Operator

I wonder if anyone else has been moved emotionally by a single dance with someone they didn't know?
    Yes, absolutely - a few times (and boy, do those moments ever stay with you) - it's an extraordinary feeling, like nothing else I've experienced (outside of a romantic context, anyway) - and utterly magical.

It's usually been a Blues thing up 'till now.

The really daft thing though is that the last couple of times I had dances like that (Blues night in Herrang) - some silly irrational part of me didn't want to dance with the ladies concerned again, in case the next dance was a let-down for both of us...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    The really daft thing though is that the last couple of times I had dances like that (Blues night in Herrang) - some silly irrational part of me didn't want to dance with the ladies concerned again, in case the next dance was a let-down for both of us...
    I know what you mean, and I've sometimes done this too - and the next dance often isn't as good - but at some stage, you will have another fabulous dance with that person.

You never forget those dances, do you?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I know what you mean, and I've sometimes done this too - and the next dance often isn't as good - but at some stage, you will have another fabulous dance with that person.
    Oh - it would be stupid not to dance with someone again because your previous dance was too good - that doesn't stop my brain from having the thought though. Silly brain.

No indeed. Although 30 seconds later - I couldn't have described a single move we did during the dances (most were made up on the spur of the moment anyway) - the feeling however remains. Just typing this and remembering back, I still get a bit of a buzz and a some of the same feeling from the dances... nothing exists apart from you, your parter or the music... out of this world.

Commercial Operator

JiveLad,

Thank you for posting ur Q. I'm sorry that lot have taken the p... so much, as I know how much of a shock this is when it happens, how confusing it can be and how brave it was to ask the Q.

There have been a couple of threads on this, one of which I started around Aug/Sep 05 (but can't Harperlink cos I'm pants).

In short,you've found the holy grail.

It's not about sex, attraction or erections: it's about the trinity, the connection between you, your partner and the music... Welcome to dance!!

No you don't forget them! You just want them to go on and on.

First star to the right and straight on till morning...

Sometimes its like a really great conversation you have with someone you have just met where you agree on so much that you speak for ages, share the same reality, and don't even have to think about it, not merely attraction but a mutual affinity, it just flows. Like a good jam session with other musicians you are creating together, you're surprised at your own sudden grace or inventiveness, its almost like a movie, art. Then the music stops and you are in a social club or hall, you look at each other and say nothing but "thanks, that was really nice" and walk off with a sort understanding beyond words...someone else asks you to dance and your feet touch the floor again...

That's dancing. Everyone should do it...

Quote Originally Posted by jiveknight View Post
    Sometimes its like a really great conversation you have with someone you have just met where you agree on so much that you speak for ages, share the same reality, and don't even have to think about it, not merely attraction but a mutual affinity, it just flows. Like a good jam session with other musicians you are creating together, you're surprised at your own sudden grace or inventiveness, its almost like a movie, art. Then the music stops and you are in a social club or hall, you look at each other and say nothing but "thanks, that was really nice" and walk off with a sort understanding beyond words...someone else asks you to dance and your feet touch the floor again...

That's dancing. Everyone should do it...
    A great description Jiveknight! They are above what I call "I can go home now" dances, which in themselves are nothing to be sneezed at.

Sometimes you get a run of them, then nothing for months. I have only ever had two with the same person. Also am unaware I've had one till the music stops.

Um, yeah, frequently. It's why I dance. Kinda puzzled that it seems to be such a rare occurance for others though

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Um, yeah, frequently. It's why I dance. Kinda puzzled that it seems to be such a rare occurance for others though
    It's a matter of degree, I suppose. I usually get some degree of emotional involvement with the music, the dancer and my partner - it's just those utterly breathtaking ones that are so few and far between. Maybe if they were commonplace, they wouldn't seem so breathtaking...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    It's a matter of degree, I suppose. I usually get some degree of emotional involvement with the music, the dancer and my partner - it's just those utterly breathtaking ones that are so few and far between. Maybe if they were commonplace, they wouldn't seem so breathtaking...
    Sunsets happen daily, but they still take my breath away - maybe I'm just easy to please?

Commercial Operator

Sunsets happen daily, but they still take my breath away - maybe I'm just easy to please?
    Fair point now... a friend recently classed me as someone who thrives on new things, and eventually gets jaded (to some degree) by the old and familiar. I wonder how much that has to do with it.

Or it could just be that I very rarely get the chance to dance quality blues at the moment.

Dancing the Waltz always seems to get me and I have been known to shed a tear when I hear the music which accompanies a Waltz. [I know I know!] But it is it just such a beautiful dance, elegant and romantic and my passion for dancing comes to the front when I am being swept around the dance floor whilst dancing the Waltz.

Yes, the sun sets every day, but it's not every day you get the perfect, deep-pink, gold edged clouds, and a sun like a blood-red ball of fire etc etc, that really leaves you breathless. Yes, the sun sets every day, but sometimes it just dips below the horizon and it gets dark, without a spectacular show of colours.

That's the difference between the incredible dances that leave you floating on fluffy, pink clouds, and the standard dances that you enjoy, but don't really emotionally move you. In my humble opinion, of course. But if you really enjoy all your dances that much, and are emotionally moved by them, then good for you! I wish that was the case for me...

Registered User Little Yellow Fish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Yes, the sun sets every day, but it's not every day you get the perfect, deep-pink, gold edged clouds, and a sun like a blood-red ball of fire etc etc, that really leaves you breathless. Yes, the sun sets every day, but sometimes it just dips below the horizon and it gets dark, without a spectacular show of colours.

That's the difference between the incredible dances that leave you floating on fluffy, pink clouds, and the standard dances that you enjoy, but don't really emotionally move you. In my humble opinion, of course. But if you really enjoy all your dances that much, and are emotionally moved by them, then good for you! I wish that was the case for me...

Well said, couldn't have put it better if I tried Some dances/dancers make you go all of a wibble but others...

On a slight tangent, I know the feeling of sitting for ages on a Fijian beach watching the sun set. Camera poised. What happened?? Bloody black clouds formed right over the horizon and hid the sunset from view. Needless to say my photos of that particular evening were poo

Vicki xx

Thread Information