Thread: What do I do with my Feet???

Question What do I do with my Feet???

Still reeling from first night shock, but after perusing this forum I'm feeling a little better. So, It's not just me who had/has problems!

However, one thing I've noticed that there's anumber of conversations that mention that feet aren't important in Ceroc unlike salsa.

Now, while this is is good thing (I have two left feet but both think they're right!) it'm a wee bit confused about what to do with them.

Example. 5,6,7,8, and step back... I'm now miles away from my partner and arms stretched as far as they'll go . , spin spin, and into a basket. arms ok, but now, I have to twist to the left and to the right, I either stand on my own toes or worse still , the heels of my dance partner! Then it's shuffle , shuffle , stride mini step, trip and I'm ready for the next move.

If footwork isn't important, how then do you stop it interfering with the dance moves? If footwork is precisely laid down in the steps (like Salsa I assume) then you know where your feet and those of your partner's are to be at any time.

Can someone with more Ceroc savvy explain this to me?

Angel with attitude! xSalsa_Angelx's Avatar
    when your partner steps back you should be stepping back as well, like a mirror image.

you don't need the complex footwork as you do in salsa, but if you wanted to you could use your salsa footwork in ceroc, if not you dont need to worry about them, just stepping back when your partner does.

I always tell my boyfriend to move about a bit, or step back, he just stands on the spot and does nothing

Blog Entries

Re: What do I do with my Feet???

Originally posted by Beowulf1970
    Example. 5,6,7,8,
    well the very first thing you've got to do is tell the DJ that if he plays any more Steps crap you're taking your two left feet and walking!!!

I'm sure lots of sensible people will answer you properly

but for what it's worth I was told quite categorically DON'T think about your feet AT ALL when I started, they will come naturally when they are ready, and to a certain extent this is what happened. (one of )the mistake I was making if I was thinking about them was trying to take too big and deliberate a step every time and that didn't work - small is beautiful

Still get what I would call "wrong footed" a few times in every dance but it's getting better and much less noticable.

Cx

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: What do I do with my Feet???

Originally posted by Chicklet
    but for what it's worth I was told quite categorically DON'T think about your feet AT ALL when I started, they will come naturally when they are ready
    Just what i was going to say, worry about what your arms are doing first. Once you know a few moves you'll find that, if you have any sense of rhythm at all, you'll try to move your feet to the music. Your lead is what maintains a certain distance between you and your partner and that'll improve with time too - dont let her get away from you .

Still get what I would call "wrong footed" a few times in every dance but it's getting better and much less noticable.
    Getting "wrong footed" can be the guys fault for leading you wrong footed. Dance with people as good as Bill, and you'll probaly find its rarely your fault. Being the inconsistent kind of dancer i am, sometimes i really struggle to lead people, yet next time i dance with them it can be fine. I reckon this is due to my dancing ability being entirely subconsious and my subconsious sometimes takes the ****.

Commercial Operator

Agree with DS here.

What I shall add, in hope of helping is.....

There are some moves where there is a slight emphasis on footwork, but once you get one, they are all the same..

1st move, yo-yo, basket, sway, etc.

Once your partner is in by your hips, you then twist your lady: as you do this, ALWAYS step back a little with your left foot. In all honesty, it's not that important. It's mainly a style point, but helps in balance also.

As a novice, it's nice to see you ask Q that many beginners would ask, but are too shy to do so. Keep going!!

And as Chickie AA says ( ), small is beautiful.

Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
    you don't need the complex footwork as you do in salsa, but if you wanted to you could use your salsa footwork in ceroc,
    Ah..erm.. I didn't do salsa. One of my friends used to do it in his pre-ceroc era and he's reliably informed me that it had much more footwork. I was confused but the posts above are lifting the fog a little.

I have to say that I found the basket move to be quite difficult, expecially when doing the twist side to side part. But I'll take that comment above about stepping back a bit and try and remember it for next Tuesday!

Ladies.. if you're doing to Culter mills on Tuesday.. may I suggest steel toecaps? :sorry

Re: Re: Re: What do I do with my Feet???

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    if you have any sense of rhythm at all
    I'm Doomed!

Example. 5,6,7,8, and step back... I'm now miles away from my partner and arms stretched as far as they'll go . ,
    You've moved too far away - your elbows should still be bent.
    spin spin,
    Ain't no spinning in a basket, but I'll assume you mean turning the lady under your arm
    and into a basket. arms ok, but now, I have to twist to the left and to the right, I either stand on my own toes or worse still , the heels of my dance partner!
    Your feet should be side by side (and so should your partner's) when you reach the basket position at first. Then to twist her out you take a small step back with your left foot, and she steps back with her right. On the twist in you move your feet back to the starting position, and she moves her right foot a little further forward.
    Then it's shuffle , shuffle , stride mini step, trip and I'm ready for the next move.
    When you unwind her you're basically standing still while she moves, then as she comes round to face you take a (small!) step back on either foot, and then step in for the return, and another small step back on either foot. Ask a teacher or taxi to demo it for you.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: What do I do with my Feet???

I'm Doomed!
    ach nonsense. It can take practice for some people to move to music - but thats all it is ... practice. Be Optimistic

The Oracle

Example. 5,6,7,8, and step back... I'm now miles away from my partner and arms stretched as far as they'll go
    Start a bit closer. Take a smaller step. And don't push your partner so far away.

. , spin spin, and into a basket. arms ok, but now, I have to twist to the left and to the right, I either stand on my own toes or worse still , the heels of my dance partner!
    The way the basket is taught you twist away from each other. Although this makes it feel a bit uncomfortable in the lead (because the man is twisting one way, but leading his partner the other way) it does make it very difficult to step on your partner's feet on the first twist. On the second twist don't overdo it. Just get back to the position you started in. Don't twist into your partner.

If footwork isn't important, how then do you stop it interfering with the dance moves? If footwork is precisely laid down in the steps (like Salsa I assume) then you know where your feet and those of your partner's are to be at any time.
    The only thing important about your feet is that you need them to stand up, and to move. The only time you have to worry about stepping on your partner is when you get really close. So footwork is very important in Ballroom dancing then you are contantly moving when you are close to your partner. But in Ceroc there is generally several inches of separation between you and your partner, and usually one of you is not moving too much. So the only thing you have to worry about is standing up.

(Salsa uses footwork as a way of creating rhythm in the body and the movement. Same with West Coast Swing. And when you have footwork, then you can do certain moves that rely on your partner being on a particular foot.)

David

Stay as close to your partner as possible at all times, you should not have a straight arm make sure it's always bent. This will help with leading and dancing on a crowded dance floor.

A return at the end of most beginner moves happens over 2 beats. 1 beat turn the lady. 2nd beat both step back.

Anytime you are both side byside you should be able to bump hips (the hippy bummy thing I call it), your feet and your partners should be parallel.

Anytime you twist the lady out (basket, sway, first move), you take a small step back to, doesn't really matter which foot whichever is comfortable.

Always take small steps, the smaller the better.

For the guys, dont keep your feet together keep them shoulder width apart as it helps with balance.

Remember to smile have fun, and laugh off any mistakes.

I always maintained that your feet are there just to make sure you don't fall over: If you have to lean or bend at the waist with a move in order to keep 'close' to your partner, then you are off-balance; you should have moved your feet to maintain your center. {With the exception of 'leans' of course}

All this 'step back with the right' etc. is not strictly necissary - you could dance rooted to the spot and lead the lady arround you. You could do all the moving yourself and leave the lady rooted to the spot. Neither are very nice ways to dance, but can be tactics used for certain moves or to get/give a bit of a rest after a fast move{dance } or four.

Blog Entries

Re: Re: What do I do with my Feet???

well the very first thing you've got to do is tell the DJ that if he plays any more Steps crap you're taking your two left feet and walking!!!
    Oi! Missus! :reallymad

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Lou
    :sorry
    What kept you????
    Was expecting that AGES ago!!!!
    C

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Lou
    Which steps girl are you anyway - the brunnette?

Blog Entries

:sorry
    What kept you????
    Was expecting that AGES ago!!!!
    Only just got back after a nice long weekend away, sampling the delights of Glasgow...

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Which steps girl are you anyway - the brunnette?
    Nah - the gay blonde feller...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What do I do with my Feet???

Originally posted by Lou
    Only just got back after a nice long weekend away, sampling the delights of Glasgow...
    What?! You never said, we could have gone out for a cappuccino!

Thread Information