Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harry: role model for the 21st century

Blog Entries

Re: Harry: role model for the 21st century

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I think Harry going to Iraq is sheer madness....

Lets face it, I'm not the biggest royal fan but, I do realise that he simply isn't 'just' one of the lads.

I think he'll have a price on his head, larger than any other 'lad' out there and this will endanger everyone else's lives around him too.

The added security must cost a fortune.

And then, what happens if he does get killed in action?

Yes, I know he probably wants to prove a point but at what cost?

The cost will be the same for Harrys family as it is for all the other poor buggers killed in action (generally by the bloody Americans) whilst they are out there. I think it should be compulsory that all the royal family go out there and then when somebody who the country sees as important is killed perhaps we as a country can get the flock out of there alongside the Americans and leave them to it.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    The cost will be the same for Harrys family as it is for all the other poor buggers killed in action
    Yes, I entirely agree with that and being somewhat of an 'anti royal', I don't like the idea of him having any 'special' treatment either.

But my point was, I believe he'll be seen as a target and his presence will endanger all the other 'poor buggers' who have to go out there to serve with him (and protect him)!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think he'll have a price on his head, larger than any other 'lad' out there and this will endanger everyone else's lives around him too.
    Didn't stop Andrew - presumably the Argentinians also didn't like us much - or, for that matter, all the other "spare" royals who've served in the armed forces throughout history.

Then he'll be the 102nd soldier killed in a pointless war.

As to whether he'll be a target - who knows? But extend that argument, and it's kind of pointless for him to be in the Army in the first place. Being a soldier in the UK means you volunteer for a profession in which people, well, shoot at you occasionally.

Blog Entries

Yes, I entirely agree with that and being somewhat of an 'anti royal', I don't like the idea of him having any 'special' treatment either.

But my point was, I believe he'll be seen as a target and his presence will endanger all the other 'poor buggers' who have to go out there to serve with him (and protect him)!

Well if they dye his hair it might help disguise the fact that he is there. Then again, he is not a true royal anyway, everyone knows he is nothing to do with Charles.

Blog Entries

FWIW, unlike the Americans, the British Army have a policy that while on "active" duty, officers remove or hide their rank badges and are NOT saluted or otherwise openly acknowledged by others.
    I would hope that this would extend to NOT surrounding royals with a gaggle of bodyguards, thereby drawing attention to him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    FWIW, unlike the Americans, the British Army have a policy that while on "active" duty, officers remove or hide their rank badges and are NOT saluted or otherwise openly acknowledged by others.
    I would hope that this would extend to NOT surrounding royals with a gaggle of bodyguards, thereby drawing attention to him.
    Irrelevant really, they are not going to put him on the front line. The news pictures will show him in all his glory but he will generally be behind a desk somewhere, suffering a hangover and probably smoking a joint.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Then he'll be the 102nd soldier killed in a pointless war.
    Yes, I can see the headlines now...102nd soldier killed in a pointless war. and the day after, its 5th page news and 2 weeks after that, its just another satistic, hmmm?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Yes, I can see the headlines now...102nd soldier killed in a pointless war. and the day after, its 5th page news and 2 weeks after that, its just another satistic, hmmm?
    Well, yeah, but it's not his fault, or even the Army's fault, that we live in a celeb-obsessed culture. He and they have a job to do - if he can never be put in any harm's way at all, what's he doing in the flippin' Army in the first place?

Blog Entries

Irrelevant really, they are not going to put him on the front line. The news pictures will show him in all his glory but he will generally be behind a desk somewhere, suffering a hangover and probably smoking a joint.
    Why? Andrew was flying a Helicopter from a Navy ship in the Falklands. His ship could've been sunk or his helicopter shot out of the sky from several miles away.
    As long as he's in the region he's in danger.
    The fact is that royals serving in the armed forces don't want to be seen as being treated any differently from any other officers. Otherwise they might as well just become scout leaders.

Blog Entries

Why? Andrew was flying a Helicopter from a Navy ship in the Falklands. His ship could've been sunk or his helicopter shot out of the sky from several miles away.
    As long as he's in the region he's in danger.
    The fact is that royals serving in the armed forces don't want to be seen as being treated any differently from any other officers. Otherwise they might as well just become scout leaders.
    You have seen him personally flying his helicopter have you. You have seen news footage. How true is this likely to be. We would all like to think that Andrew has done his bit for his country but how do we know its true. Look at the landing on the moon theory. We all know thats a load of nonsense.

Look at the landing on the moon theory. We all know thats a load of nonsense.

That's off topic...!

But all total pants, so the Americans could 'claim' they were the first up there and beat the russians, when we all know that man has not been anywhere near the moon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    That's off topic...!

But all total pants, so the Americans could 'claim' they were the first up there and beat the russians, when we all know that man has not been anywhere near the moon.
    well getting back on topic. Role model and Harry do not go hand in hand do they.

You have seen him personally flying his helicopter have you. You have seen news footage. How true is this likely to be. We would all like to think that Andrew has done his bit for his country but how do we know its true. Look at the landing on the moon theory. We all know thats a load of nonsense.
    No, but have you seen him hiding behind the lines? Besides, there was nowhere near the same level of news coverage for the Falklands like there is for Iraq.

I doubt that Harry will be molly-coddled in any way. OK, he's a royal. He's also in the Army and commands three Scimitar recon-tanks. They're not going to have him do build-up training prior to deployment just to sit in a bunker - there are specific Army corps for that sort of work anyway.

I think Harry going to Iraq is sheer madness....

Lets face it, I'm not the biggest royal fan but, I do realise that he simply isn't 'just' one of the lads.

The added security must cost a fortune.

Yes, I know he probably wants to prove a point but at what cost?
    I concur. Personally, I have little patience when it comes to the Royal Family and feel that they are an expensive liability to an already overstretched public purse. The idea of a SAS special unit to 'shadow' his presence is ridiculous, especially on the frontline. I'm sure their resources would be better placed elsewhere.

And the cost that you speak of will probably be bourne by the taxpayer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    I concur. Personally, I have little patience when it comes to the Royal Family and feel that they are an expensive liability to an already overstretched public purse. The idea of a SAS special unit to 'shadow' his presence is ridiculous, especially on the frontline. I'm sure their resources would be better placed elsewhere.

And the cost that you speak of will probably be bourne by the taxpayer.
    In that case, the time to complain about it would have been when he joined the army, not now he's - shock horror - being assigned to to the job he's been trained for.

And what makes you think he's not having expensive protection now? There are probably more people in the UK who dislike the Royal Family than there are in Iraq. Like me, for a start.

Blog Entries

In that case, the time to complain about it would have been when he joined the army, not now he's - shock horror - being assigned to to the job he's been trained for.

And what makes you think he's not having expensive protection now? There are probably more people in the UK who dislike the Royal Family than there are in Iraq. Like me, for a start.
    Was that the sound of MI6 coming down DJ's road?

Blog Entries

Was that the sound of MI6 coming down DJ's road?
    Maybe I'm an agent provocateur...

We both know he is following the family tradition 'parrot fashion'. And I'm quite confident that should he have wished, then the Chiefs of Staff could have found him something safer away from the frontline.

And what makes you think he's not having expensive protection now?
    Don't dispute that. I'd imagine that he's none too popular with his special branch officers, hence my reference to 'an expensive liability'.
    Last edited by Seahorse; 23rd-February-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Blog Entries

We both know he is following the family tradition 'parrot fashion'. And I'm quite confident that should he have wished, then the Chiefs of Staff could have found him something safer away from the frontline.
    So we're blaming him for wanting to actually get involved in hazardous-duty assignments, or for following family traditions, now?

Which of those is the heinous crime, exactly?

Don't dispute that. I'd imagine that he's none too popular with his special branch officers, hence my reference to 'an expensive liability'.
    Different discussion.

If you're asking "Should we ditch all royals except maybe a head of state", then I'd definitely say "yes" - but that's not relevant to this thread. If you want to start an anti-royalty thread, be my guest, I'll happily rant with you on that one.

But I'm not exactly sure what you're blaming Harry for...

As to the question of whether Harry is a "role model"... Yes, he's a very good role model for young royals around the world.

But for those who weren't born into a royal family, how could he possibly be a role model for them?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information