Thread: Bismarck

Bismarck

Anybody seen the advert for the model Battleship Bismarck with "laser cut wooden parts" that has just come out as a partwork?

Anybody care to hazard a guess at the price of the entire model?

50p for the first issue!! Bargain!! Er - especially since after that it goes up to £4.99.

Re: Bismarck

There's a similar thing for the original series of Star Trek. £2.99 for the first issue, £7.99 thereafter. You get about 3 episodes with each issue, which worked out at about £200 for the lot.

Or under £100 off the net.

Hmmm...

How many issues for the Bismarck set then?

Quote Originally Posted by andystyle View Post
    How many issues for the Bismarck set then?
    They never tell you that or you'd know the cost.

and none of these magazines EVER run to the final issue.

They should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post

They should be banned.
    Hmm. I started buying one with opera videos a while ago - 1 per fortnight, DVD of a well-known opera, blurb about the composer and the provenance of the opera, etc. After about three issues, I could never find it again and gave up.

Were you ranting, or is it right that these partworks always stop in the middle?

It'd be an interesting contract point - providing you are ready and willing to keep buying, Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball would suggest that they are in breach if they stop publishing. Even if there is small print in the first issue "no guarantee that all parts will be published, blah blah" it would be too late since you would not read that until after you'd paid your first pennies.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post

They should be banned.
    Actually, back in my younger days they did run to the final issue - there's a full set of all 65 issues of "The Great Composers" lying in binders in my flat. And the tapes are still kicking around at my parents' place. That was back in the 80s when my pocket-money didn't stretch to full-price CDs of various composers' works, but I was keen to learn. I'm sure I could have bought the recordings cheaper but the magazines were good, very educational.

And I purchased every issue off the shelf in a shop - never had to subscribe.

Nowadays though they're a rip-off, I agree. I was going to get the Prisoner partwork, but I think it worked out at about £150, when you can buy the entire series boxed set for less than half that.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Nowadays though they're a rip-off, I agree. I was going to get the Prisoner partwork, but I think it worked out at about £150, when you can buy the entire series boxed set for less than half that.
    How ironic would it have been if you bought them off the shelf but could'nt get a hold of number 6 ?

Actually, back in my younger days they did run to the final issue - there's a full set of all 65 issues of "The Great Composers" lying in binders in my flat. And the tapes are still kicking around at my parents' place. That was back in the 80s when my pocket-money didn't stretch to full-price CDs of various composers' works, but I was keen to learn. I'm sure I could have bought the recordings cheaper but the magazines were good, very educational.

And I purchased every issue off the shelf in a shop - never had to subscribe.

Wow, that's spooky!

Just bought some new bookcases and consequently going through all my sh*t to winnow out the trash from the good stuff before shelving everything.

Guess what was in the bottom of a knackered cardboard box full of tapes, completely forgotten? The Great Composers collection...

nu nu nu nu....

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    How ironic would it have been if you bought them off the shelf but could'nt get a hold of number 6 ?
    Not as ironic as having successfuly bought the full set, but having issue 6 constantly disappearing...

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

When i was younger about 7 or 8 (no not years ago) there were a series of dinosaurs and you could build a t-rex. The first was 25p then 50p then £1 with the occassional one in the middle being a "special price" I think there were about 50 issues. I lost interested after about 20. The low and behold about 3/4 years later they re-issued them. Still didnt get the lot and never managed to build my glow in the dark t-rex

I'm sure Airfix used to do a plastic model of the Bismarck which was a lot cheaper.

. . . .they did run to the final issue - there's a full set of all 65 issues of "The Great Composers" lying in binders in my flat. And the tapes are still kicking around at my parents' place. That was back in the 80s when my pocket-money didn't stretch to full-price CDs of various composers' works, but I was keen to learn. I'm sure I could have bought the recordings cheaper but the magazines were good, very educational.. . . .
    Tapes would work here - People would walkin into the newsagent and buy one copy of that at any issue because they were interested in the music held on the tape - Each issue had validity in it's own right.
    When you are building a model over 60 months and you didn't get the first issue why buy the second?

It's a racket!

If you'd had to collect parts to build the cassette player before getting the tapes then trust me - no one is that Anal!

It's gonna blow up and sink anyway - the real one did

Creoc [The Part Work]

For just £5:00 (usual price £7:00) you will get four quality dance moves to learn and use. These will be yours to keep. Then each week this classic collection builds into a vast array of moves that will allow you to dance like some bloke off of the telly. Once you have collected all of the starter moves, why not move onto the intermediate collection and expand your ability even further.

Terms and conditions apply. WCS lessons not included. Ceroc reserve the right to add an additional 140 moves at any time. Costs for freestyles and weekends not included, quality of moves and venues may vary.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Creoc [The Part Work]

For just £5:00 (usual price £7:00) you will get four quality dance moves to learn and use. These will be yours to keep. Then each week this classic collection builds into a vast array of moves that will allow you to dance like some bloke off of the telly. Once you have collected all of the starter moves, why not move onto the intermediate collection and expand your ability even further.

Terms and conditions apply. WCS lessons not included. Ceroc reserve the right to add an additional 140 moves at any time. Costs for freestyles and weekends not included, quality of moves and venues may vary.
    spelling Ceroc right would have been a better start like the small print punchline

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    spelling Ceroc right would have been a better start like the small print punchline
    Sheesh... tough crowd in tonight! Quick send out the dancing girls, the comedian's dying on his ass out there

My mate in Wales did the same with a cowboy series and after a while they stopped publishing it so he rang them up. Basically they told him to get lost and they would not publish any more because the demand was not there. This is a massive rip off. XXX XXX

"Voz Bismarck a hewwing?" (Lilli Von Shtupp, The Teutonic Tit-Willow)

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Sheesh... tough crowd in tonight! Quick send out the dancing girls, the comedian's dying on his ass out there
    I feel sorry for the poor donkey!

Thread Information