Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banning photography in the street!!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Banning photography in the street!!

There was an interesting programme a little while back, all about David Icke and his 'alternative' thinking.

Anyway, as wacky as some of his ideas are, something's he said did make me think, like when he stood across the road from Westminster (where the protesters are) and started to film with his 'personal' video camera. He purposely wasn't filming anything in particular, only his G/F-wife and the general locality.

He pointed out several fixed police camera's that were there filming people 24/7 on the streets without their permission and then, as if on cue, the police arrived and asked him to stop filming and move on.

Very Big Brotherish!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I got an email yesterday urging me to sign this petition - not sure when it was started or if it has the same closing date as the 'say no' one (which is today isn't it?) A little confusing as initially I thought it was another email about the 'say no to road charges' one.
    Do you have a link to it ? I didnt know there was one

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Do you have a link to it ? I didnt know there was one
    I thought that was what you were referring to. I know you've found it now but if anyone else is interested there are details on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    er...I think its a joke. You're not all taking this seriously are you ?
    I believe it.. I've also heard of a rumour that it's going to be against the law to look at things.. We're all to be issued Government approved blinkers

As mentioned above.. I think this law would be totally impractical to police.

Although I wouldn't put it past the current government to want to turn Britain into a Police state.. or another little island off the coast of America (ok.. granted.. considerably off the coast)

There's lots of fear mongering going on and every day (metaphorically) there's another law or ruling that strips a little more of our freedom away. We're watched more, observed more, catalogued, profiled and cross referenced and were supposed to be thankful for being so well looked after

Commercial Operator

So to summarise, seems to be a petition asking the government not to do something that they had no intention of doing anyway. Just on the offchance they think about doing it.

Let's hope no-one's silly enough to give them the idea, eh?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    So to summarise, seems to be a petition asking the government not to do something that they had no intention of doing anyway. Just on the offchance they think about doing it.

Let's hope no-one's silly enough to give them the idea, eh?
    To quote the guy who started the petition...
    These are the reasons why I have raised the petition at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Photography/, and although there is no bill in the offing, it is vitally important that politicians such as Mr Livingston are fully aware of the basic rights UK citizens have, and that changes to restrict our use of cameras would require very fundamental changes in UK law.
    He has a point. I'm off to start a poll on why there should be no government mandated alien anal probes. I can't be the ONLY one to have nightmares about THAT ?? Protect your sphincter rights and sign NOW.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    As mentioned above.. I think this law would be totally impractical to police.

Although I wouldn't put it past the current government to want to turn Britain into a Police state.. or another little island off the coast of America (ok.. granted.. considerably off the coast)
    Pointing about that such a law would be unenforceable is missing the point - you start tipping into a Police State when such laws exist and are typically only enforced on people the authorities don't like.

Example 1: Joe Tourist snapping his family outside the Houses of Parliament would not be arrested
    Example 2: Joe Documentary Maker snapping a demo about, say, the depopulation of Diego Garcia may well be, but's that's rather obvious and heavy-handed. People get upset by that sort of thing.
    Example 3: Joe Documentary Maker on another day, snapping his family outside the Houses of Parliament would be arrested, because suddenly he's "a security risk". Authorities get what they want and no headlines...

That's how it works in the slide to totalitarianism - read a book like Eugenia Ginsberg's "Journey Into The Whirlwind" to get a flavour of the Stalinist model in the 1930's.

I've read of photographers in both the US and the UK being threatened, arrested, having had their cameras confiscated, and having film destroyed/memory cards wiped by police and other officials who didn't like someone taking perfectly legal photos of places that were claimed to be security-sensitive.

Typically these events are followed up by an "apology", but the result is a successful "chilling effect" of making people scared to exercise their right to take photos in public.

Here's a UK guide to photographers rights, and a similar page in the US which is worth reading.

Did you know that it is illegal to take photos for business, professional or employment reasons in Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square in London?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    That's how it works in the slide to totalitarianism - read a book like Eugenia Ginsberg's "Journey Into The Whirlwind" to get a flavour of the Stalinist model in the 1930's.
    I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Here's a UK guide to photographers rights, and a similar page in the US which is worth reading.
    hmm. interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Did you know that it is illegal to take photos for business, professional or employment reasons in Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square in London?
    I didn't but I do now !!

Thread Information