Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Bono discussion thread

Re: T-shirt slogans.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    {snip blurb}
    So, to summarise: Bono is to be criticised for taking a simplistic view of poverty?

How much microphone time is he going to get on global TV programs if he mumbles on for 10 minutes about the complexities of raising countries out of the poverty trap in the face of globalisation of commercial interests?

He seems very articulate but I've no idea how intelligent he is; it may be that such complexities are beyond him - in which case, good for him for standing up for what he believes in.

It may be that such complexities are not beyond him - in which case we can assume that he understands the complexities at least as well as you do. Which prompts the question - I wonder why he keeps his message simple?

{snip stuff about other pop stars}
    That was my exact point - other pop stars sit on their fat asses and suck up the money from teenagers all over the world without lifting a finger (or hardly lifting one) to improve the planet. So why is it that Bono gets slagged off?

So what if he's wearing £5,000 sunglasses - have you any idea how much money he gives away? I'll bet it's a larger proportion of his income than you or I.

I'm not saying he's perfect, but I am complaining about the t-shirt slogan, which I think is a cheap laugh.

Re: The Bono discussion thread

Rubbish - Bono didn't chair the G8 in 2005, Tony Blair did.

Blair would have done this work without Bono, but Bono would have achieved precisely nothing without Blair.

I've got very little time for Blair and Brown, but they've both been consistent in their approach to issues such as world poverty and climate change.
    You are wrong to say 'rubbish', DJ. Your facts about Tony Blair may be correct, but that doesn't mean that Bono isn't keeping poverty in the media eye.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    So, to summarise: Bono is to be criticised for taking a simplistic view of poverty?
    I'm not criticizing him, I'm really not.

But I'm just not praising him to the heavens either - believe me, you'll know when I criticize someone.

But, simple explanations of complex situations scare the bejeezus out of me - go down that road too far and you wind up with Thunder Gods as explanations of weather. Unless you've suddenly converted to theism, Barry?

How much microphone time is he going to get on global TV programs if he mumbles on for 10 minutes about the complexities of raising countries out of the poverty trap in the face of globalisation of commercial interests?
    Clarity and complexity aren't exclusive - I've made a living out of providing explanations of complex topics. It just takes effort, that's all, to explain and educate.

He seems very articulate but I've no idea how intelligent he is; it may be that such complexities are beyond him - in which case, good for him for standing up for what he believes in.
    Fair enough - presume you'll accord the Pope the same kudos then?

It may be that such complexities are not beyond him - in which case we can assume that he understands the complexities at least as well as you do. Which prompts the question - I wonder why he keeps his message simple?
    Who knows - possibly he can't be bothered? Or perhaps he likes soundbites.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    But he does wear a £5,000 pair of sunglasses whilst asking people with normal jobs to give money to charity.
    People should give money to charity, or help other people because a) they have been made aware of a need and b) they want to help.

Going on about what someone is wearing while they raise awareness is irrelevant at best and an 'excuse' for sitting back and doing nothing at worst.

I am sorry if I offend anyone but I have enough trouble of my own,making sure that me and my family have a decent quality of life never mind worrying about the troubles of others.

To be blunt charity for me begins and ends at home.Callous as may seem I have no wish at this present time in my life to worry about the problems of anyone except me and my family.

I seem to have repeated myself somewhat there.Amazing what a couple of pints of an evening will do.

But, simple explanations of complex situations scare the bejeezus out of me - Clarity and complexity aren't exclusive - I've made a living out of providing explanations of complex topics. It just takes effort, that's all, to explain and educate.
    Well, me too; but I don't have to try and ensure that sub-editors and producers and so forth will put my story in prime positions in the next news bulletins.
    Fair enough - presume you'll accord the Pope the same kudos then?
    Yeah, the Catholic church - well known for its efforts to relieve poverty in the third world. When and only when a Pope finally permits Catholics to use contraceptives.
    ...Or perhaps he likes soundbites.
    Ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    People should give money to charity, or help other people because a) they have been made aware of a need and b) they want to help.

Going on about what someone is wearing while they raise awareness is irrelevant at best and an 'excuse' for sitting back and doing nothing at worst.
    Exactamundo. What I tried to say in twelve paragraphs summarised in two sentences.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, me too; but I don't have to try and ensure that sub-editors and producers and so forth will put my story in prime positions in the next news bulletins.
    There's a danger point about trying to be too complex. I remember reading about a scientist, a few years' back, who was deliberately distorting the then-known data about climate change, spinning it because it was seen as too urgent to wait for more proof.

Yes, scientific proof is slow - look how long it took to establish the cigarette-cancer link - but to go down the "simplification for soundbites" route, in the long run, discredit's the reputation of scientific research as a whole.

Yeah, the Catholic church - well known for its efforts to relieve poverty in the third world.
    Your original quote said:
    Which you could apply equally to any person of principle...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

Exactamundo. What I tried to say in twelve paragraphs summarised in two sentences.
    Well, if someone says that people need to give up their extra(?) money and give it to Africa, and then proceeds to spend a lot of money on something with little obvious need to then they are being a mite hypocritical wouldn't you say? A bit like we should all be equal, but some should be more equal than others? He is, after all, getting some kudos for being so charitable yet some of his actions don't seem to fit in with this. Of course, none of this means that no-one should give to charity in protest but it doesn't mean you have to hold them in high regard does it?

For what its worth, i have not bought one of the t-shirts and have no plans to do so at all. It is very easy to try and knock people down and, as you say, i dare say some people use this as a rather flimsy excuse for not giving to charity. Oh, and Barry, i meant what i said - since artists in the Republic no longer are tax-exempt he has decided to go somewhere where he has to pay less tax

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    since artists in the Republic no longer are tax-exempt he [Bono] has decided to go somewhere where he has to pay less tax
    If that's true, then it isn't very honourable of him.

Having said that, lots of other media millionaires avoid paying any more tax than they have to, and they still don't lift a finger to improve the world.

U2 moved there assets from Ireland to Amsterdam last year to avoid paying tax as tax relief for artists had just been capped in the irish budget last year.

Full Story

I enjoyed reading this in the paper today:

"...
    The G8 might be better rechristened the G9, since an inevitable presence at these convocations is the People’s Republic of Bono. Perhaps he should have a seat on the United Nations security council, too.
    The incalculably pompous Irish singer in the perpetual wraparound shades was in Heiligendamm “holding private meetings with G8 leaders”. Why was he? What convinced them of the necessity to turn up and listen to his interminable, faux-humble, faux-naive “Oi’m only a rock star, but . . .” schtick?
    Why didn’t they tell him to get stuffed, or punch him? Or just do what the rest of us do and ignore him entirely?
    His eminence carped at the fact that the world’s richest nations are giving only £30 billion to fight disease in, primarily, Africa. The countries holding out were, he alleged, Italy and Canada: well, good for them.
    There is no respite from this man’s megalomania, induced by the mysteriously impressive record sales from his lumpen rock band. One day soon he will announce that he is developing nuclear weapons. Perhaps then he will have at last found what he was looking for."

Isn't it ironic that the more a person's power grows in speaking up/doing things for the poor, the greater the personal wealth and the ability to self indulge?

Like a commie leader with a big house, expensive fuel guzzling car, actress wife, private school for kids, Gucci bags etc.

The world doesn't always listen to a poor fellah without two ha'pennies to rub together unless his name is Gandhi or is some religious figure.

Wot Lynn and Barry said.

I don't agree with Bono on everything, and as already commented, the message is sometimes simplistic - but as also noted, people don't necessarily want to get into the complexities of it all. The charity I work for was one of the first partners of Bono's One Campaign and believe me, the discussions about all the implications of ending poverty permanently - including empowerment, democracy, fair trade, micro-credit, long-term sustainability and yes, immediate food aid to keep people alive so they have a future - *do* happen - they're just not sexy enough to get reported. Bono's campaign has resulted in far more aid organisations working together - rather than re-inventing the wheel everywhere.

If one person could save the world, it would have been done already. Bono isn't perfect - but he could sit on his arse and live a selfish life of Riley like the Beckhams - and doesn't, so to him.

Thread Information