Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bono discussion thread

Re: T-shirt slogans.

Anyone fed up of hearing Bono go on about ending world poverty and setting himself up as some sort of all round goody-goody might be interested in this t-shirt

http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/pro...wx=1259&wy=828

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Anyone fed up of hearing Bono go on about ending world poverty and setting himself up as some sort of all round goody-goody might be interested in this t-shirt
    Yeah. It's so nasty of him to be doing something to try and make the world a better place. I think all filthy rich influential pop stars should just hide away in their enormous country estates getting wasted on drugs and conspicuously consuming, not using their money and influence for good. They should just leave everything to the politicians and big business who are doing such an excerlent job of improving our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Yeah. It's so nasty of him to be doing something to try and make the world a better place. I think all filthy rich influential pop stars should just hide away in their enormous country estates getting wasted on drugs and conspicuously consuming, not using their money and influence for good. They should just leave everything to the politicians and big business who are doing such an excerlent job of improving our lives.
    So when he tells governments to give more in tax which he then tries to avoid then he isn't being hypocritical at all? Ok, so it may give them more money to use as they see fit (and could go towards various publicity/groups) but it certainly gives out the wrong sort of message - if you have money then try to avoid giving anything back. Haven't seen anything by them explaining how the extra money is going to go to good causes - only the rather open to interpretation phrase 'who doesn't want to be tax-efficient.'

Sorry, for going O/T everyone

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    No one could deny that Bono's done a lot of work, or at least spent a lot of time, working for developing countries.

However, no-one could deny that he's not democratically accountable, and has no mandate, so he can say things without having to make hard decisions about resource allocation. It's easy to criticize from the sidelines.

If he wanted control over resources that much, he should run for office and see how well he does there - but that would be much less glamourous, and he might have to actually take responsibility for decisions made.

As it is, I don't see why he should get more "respect" or influence than any other part-time charity worker.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    As it is, I don't see why he should get more "respect" or influence than any other part-time charity worker.
    ...who presumably seldom find t-shirts with slogans slagging them off for sale on the internet.

QED

Oh, and by the way I have absolutely no truck at all with the idea that the only way anyone can get involved in 'political' issues is to run for political office. For instance, if only one thing gets you riled, why should you have to become an MP and have to sit for hours deciding on all sorts of questions? Much more sensible and perfectly justified to use one's talents persuading the people who want to be politicians to adopt your point of view.
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 20th-February-2007 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    tax which he then tries to avoid then he isn't being hypocritical at all?
    I hadn't seen anything about Bone avoiding tax (I take it you mead evade, which is illegal, and not avoid, which is not).

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

No one could deny that Bono's done a lot of work, or at least spent a lot of time, working for developing countries.

It could be argued that he is so well known he does a tremendous amount to raise the profile of particular suffering in particular countries. That can only be a good thing. Why do you think he does it ? because he's a "goody goody" egotistical maniac ? or maybe he just cares a bit about others and is taking advantage of his position on the public eye to make a difference, however small. I think its quite cynical , and smacks of jealousy of their position, to complain about people like Bono pushing poverty in our faces! Dont bother us with that pesky poverty, we want none of it! It is far easier for our cosy cotton wool existence to pretend all is fine with the world and anyone anywhere can just step out for a nice latte on a Saturday morning before browsing Habitat for soft furnishings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    It could be argued that he is so well known he does a tremendous amount to raise the profile of particular suffering in particular countries. That can only be a good thing.
    It's nice and easy and popular to say "feed the world".

It's not so nice and easy and popular to say "Well, actually, raising the living conditions of people in, say, Africa, requires a complex combination of good self-governance, economic incentives, education, and promotion of investment, combined with encouragement for entrepeneurship and..." OK, you get the picture.

Why do you think he does it ? because he's a "goody goody" egotistical maniac ? or maybe he just cares a bit about others and is taking advantage of his position on the public eye to make a difference, however small. I think its quite cynical , and smacks of jealousy of their position, to complain about people like Bono pushing poverty in our faces!
    I'm not complaining, I just don't put the guy on a pedestal simply because he spends a small proportion of his time and effort working for good causes.

Pop stars should do this by default, to give something back to the world - the shameful thing is that so few of them care about anybody else, they're the ultimate examples of selfish consumers.

Dont bother us with that pesky poverty, we want none of it! It is far easier for our cosy cotton wool existence to pretend all is fine with the world and anyone anywhere can just step out for a nice latte on a Saturday morning before browsing Habitat for soft furnishings
    Wow, that sounds cool - can I have that lifestyle please?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Pop stars should do this by default, to give something back to the world - the shameful thing is that so few of them care about anybody else
    Stuff and nonsense How do you know "so few of them care"? why should they do this be default? Should others do this be default? which others? you're talking, but all i hear is a muffled sound, are your trousers up ?

Re: The Bono discussion thread

The fact that Bono (and a few others) keep harping on about world poverty means it is constantly high on the media agenda forcing goverments to act.

OK the solution is far from simple, but not as simple as it could be for a rich goverment/country to turn it's back on world poverty once it had left the high profile of the media. or a mega rich & mega famous pop star to sit back & do nothing.

Bono in an excellent communicator and he uses his skills to keep a world problem high on a goverment agenda, but I would rather listen to his outspoken opinion than some other pop stars such as the Oasis Brothers
    LL

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

But he does wear a £5,000 pair of sunglasses whilst asking people with normal jobs to give money to charity.

Blog Entries

Stuff and nonsense How do you know "so few of them care"?
    Oh, I dunno, maybe it's the conspicuous extreme consumption of every recreational substance and sexual activity under the sun, combined with utter hypocrisy about such consumption? ("Kids, don't do drugs - and my nose is supposed to look like that, honest", "I'm a virgin, says Brittney", etc.)

The complete lack of any political awareness shown by, well, anyone? ( remember Billy Bragg?)

The willingness to jettison supposedly deeply-held principles for fashion? (remember "I'd rather be naked than wear fur?".)

why should they do this be default? Should others do this be default? which others?
    Celebrities have money, fame, and influence - no-one denies this.
    But they show, as a class, no sense of "giving something back", or appreciation for their exalted position. Instead, they check in and out of rehab, shave their heads, and whinge constantly about being, well, them.

They're takers, not givers; they're extreme reflections the emphasis on consumerism and selfishness in society today.

This is one reason why we hate them, and why shows putting celebs through torture are so popular.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    But he does wear a £5,000 pair of sunglasses
    You mean he should have taken them off?
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Lets look at this in black and white shall we?

Has he saved lives?

I *think* you will find the answer is yes.

If he wants to look like a twat in expensive 'Dame Edna' style sunglasses, thats his business.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard View Post
    The fact that Bono (and a few others) keep harping on about world poverty means it is constantly high on the media agenda forcing goverments to act.
    Rubbish - Bono didn't chair the G8 in 2005, Tony Blair did.

Blair would have done this work without Bono, but Bono would have achieved precisely nothing without Blair.

I've got very little time for Blair and Brown, but they've both been consistent in their approach to issues such as world poverty and climate change.

Apparently at a recent concert, Bono stood in front of the audience, held his hands above his head and started a slow rhythmic clap, saying:

"Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies"

A wag at the front shouted out: "Stop bloody clapping then!".

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post

Comedy gold

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Apparently at a recent concert, Bono stood in front of the audience, held his hands above his head and started a slow rhythmic clap, saying:

You can't write that stuff.

Bloody priceless.The best laugh I have had all week.Thanks.

I have to agree with DJ.Spot on.You put it so much better than I could.

I feel the same about Bob Geldorf.An arrogant rude t**t.I refuse to call him S...Knighthoods these days are flying around like confetti.It is totally beyond me that we are supposed to call people like Bobby Robson,Seb Coe,Trevor Brooking,Redgrave(the rower),Bobby Charlton and Cliff Richard(sorry but they are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head)Sir.

I reckon Bono is a good guy ... and am glad that he is making a noise about important issues ...

A new angle (oh am just gonna become a road safety version of Bono if I'm not careful) is presented here http://www.makeroadssafe.org/

Lord Robertson who used to head up NATO says "to make poverty history we must make roads safe" ...

Oh I love my job ...

Incidentally ... we have used pop concerts to get the point across ... it is one way of getting in the ears of the younger generation!

Thread Information