Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dancing as a man?

Re: Dancing as a man?

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Chain View Post
    I love dancing with other women because they actually dance with you as opposed to standing there and twiddling you.
    Well you sure know how to make male leads feel appreciated .

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Well you sure know how to make male leads feel appreciated .
    I aim to please!

Daisy

K, a month or so on, and I think its going ok. The beginners class goes well, the 'straight into freestyle' is not too bad. I can usually lead the 4 moves we have just done, and maybe throw in another couple. However, I tend not to lead after that because I find it requires a lot of effort to think of what to do next, so I dont get much more practice than the class.

I have two main problems:

One: I find it hard to string moves together, because I still find that Im automatically offering the right hand. It still feels odd to be dancing left-handed.

Two: When following after leading, I often find myself anticipating. Particularily with leads I either dont know, or who whose cues Im not recognising. I try to catch myself as soon as I realise Im doing it, but Im concerned that it will put leaders off asking me to dance.

It usually takes me a couple of dances to become comfortable following again.

Does anyone else have the same problems, and if so, how do they overcome them?

The only thing you can do is to keep going on as you are. I was in the same situation and found that as time progressed I was more able to switch between leading and following without too much anticipation or disruption. I find that I enjoy leading now as much as I do following but am still better as a follower!

Leila is right, it gets easier to "switch heads" with time. When I first started leading, I always made sure that my first dance or two as a follower afterwards were with people I knew, who were also fairly good leads - it helped me switch back quicker and they wouldn't hold it against me if I fluffed!

A good way to get into "switching heads" quickly is dancing with someone who can also lead and follow and swop between you during the dance - see how neat you can make it (stealing a lead when you're right-to-right as a follower or double handed is obviously easiest). It's fun too

You can't learn to lead by dancing one song per night. Try and set yourself a goal, dance 5 songs per night as a lead, only then will you start to build up your repertoire.

Registered User SeriouslyAddicted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    A good way to get into "switching heads" quickly is dancing with someone who can also lead and follow and swop between you during the dance - see how neat you can make it (stealing a lead when you're right-to-right as a follower or double handed is obviously easiest). It's fun too
    Have a friend at my regualr venue that I play this game with. We had a good dance like it last night and we are even getting the stealing much more flowing now.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I went to a social MJ do this evening - no class, just practicing, and since to start with there were only two chaps, I led several ladies, asking if they wouldnt allow me to practice my leading with them. They were all very kind and by the end of the night, I felt much more confident stringing moves together. I still have to think hard about offering a left hand, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Actually, you probably have and not realised it.

I have seen a few cross dressers at ceroc venues and the men have no idea.

It's hilarious to watch as the men do saucy moves with these 'ladies'
    If the men are cross dressing and dancing as women this could explain the gender imbalance. Which venues have you spotted them at? I always used to fancy Boy George.

I'm just hoping the stripper's heal doesn't make it onto the dance floor.....

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    Leila is right, it gets easier to "switch heads" with time. When I first started leading, I always made sure that my first dance or two as a follower afterwards were with people I knew, who were also fairly good leads - it helped me switch back quicker and they wouldn't hold it against me if I fluffed!

Due to the distinct lack of men last 2 nights I had to bite the bullet and be a lead in the intermediate class, as well as the beginners. The appreciation for poor men was high after that - it is bloody hard work!!! I managed to do the routine - in fact, was one of the very few leads who got it right first time , but I had to really, really concentrate. I only have 2-3 songs per night of leading, but find no problem in switching back to follower after leading...
    I have yet to try the "switching" leads with another girl who is also a leader in the class - should be fun!!!

Thread Information