Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dancing as a man?

Dancing as a man?

Ive been cerocing for almost a year now, and wondered if anyone could give me some advice on the above?

My problem is, because of child-care issues, I cant stay for much of the second freestyle. Equally, knowing what Im like, if I dont go for the start of the class, I'll get all comfy and end up not going at alll.

But Im finding the beginners class rather less than challenging now, so Ive thought about trying dancing as a man during it. My worries are

1. That for the first few (or many!) times, Im going to be a total dope in the first freestyle after the class and mess up some lady's good time for her.

2. That Im going to revert to expecting to be led.

How hard is it to switch between dancing as a lady and dancing as a man?

Re: Dancing as a man?

Give it a go. If you really don't like it, you can stop again, but I've found it fun doing the beginner class as a lead. And on those evenings when there are lots of extra ladies, its nice to still be able to get up for a dance if you can lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rios Dearg View Post
    1. That for the first few (or many!) times, Im going to be a total dope in the first freestyle after the class and mess up some lady's good time for her.
    Fine - just explain you are a beginner at leading. You won't be any worse than a beginner man who has just started, and will probably find it easier as you already understand some of the principles.
    Yep - that will happen. You'll get confused about which hand you should be holding out! But only for a second or two - once you are leading a dance you'll be so busy concentrating on leading that you won't slip back into following.
    It gets easier - sometimes I need to get into the right frame of mind - lead or follow. You may find its easier to spend a few dances on one or other at first. Eg - do the beginner class as a lead - have a couple of dances as a lead after the class, then switch into follower mode.

Eventually you'll be able to swap between lead and follow within the same dance - which can be fun if you dance with another follow who also leads as you can play 'lead swap'.

Dancing as a man?

Sorry that expression always makes me laugh (got a picture of a couple of forumites in my head)

Even funnier when men "dance as a woman" (should have said ladeeeez)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

Even funnier when men "dance as a woman"
    Eeep! Ive never seen a man "dance as a woman"...still less as a "laydee"!

Have I just led a sheltered life, up till now?

Eeep! Ive never seen a man "dance as a woman"...still less as a "laydee"!
    Actually, you probably have and not realised it.

I have seen a few cross dressers at ceroc venues and the men have no idea.

It's hilarious to watch as the men do saucy moves with these 'ladies'

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    .........It's hilarious to watch as the men do saucy moves with these 'ladies'
    the 'laydeez' I was thinking of look more like sexy teapots

BTW there are men who make fab followers (eg: Alex & Jamie)

Sorry Rios Dearg - I think I have sabotaged your serious thread ....

Back on thread - would rather call the title "Women Leading" and we have about half a dozen female forumites who make as good if not better leads than most men

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

the 'laydeez' I was thinking of look more like sexy teapots

Back on thread - would rather call the title "Women Leading" and we have about half a dozen female forumites who make as good if not better leads than most men
    Sexy teapots...hehe.

Ahem. Yes, being serious, 'Women leading' is a much better title, and I know a couple of women from my class with whom I would much rather dance than with certain of the guys.

I guess Im just looking for tips to make the first few weeks easier?

Like...in the first freestyle dance, should I just stick to the four moves we have done in the beginners class, and risk being boring ... or try and maybe add in something else at the risk of having it all go horribly wrong?

........I guess Im just looking for tips to make the first few weeks easier................
    Personally I don't think it is good idea leading until you are confident in your following, it can get confusing.

When first learning MJ, the more practice you have with different leads really really helps, in both the lesson and freestyle

Good luck !

--ooOoo--

It would be good to construct a list of threads containing answers to frequently asked questions. I know there's this dancing as a man thread, but there are lots of others and I don't have the links handy. If we could collate them somewhere it would be easier to point newcomers at the previous discussions, which contain a variety of excellent advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    It would be good to construct a list of threads containing answers to frequently asked questions. I know there's this dancing as a man thread, but there are lots of others and I don't have the links handy. If we could collate them somewhere it would be easier to point newcomers at the previous discussions, which contain a variety of excellent advice.
    As the originator of the famous "Harper Links" I think that is an excellent idea

--ooOoo--

BTW there are men who make fab followers (eg: Alex & Jamie)
    Not just those two.

Jammy, Sheepman, Under Par, Trampy, The Wurlitzer Rocks, JiveP, DirtyD, Spice N Easy, Pretzel Meister, CJ, Marc Forster, Baldrick, Andy McGregor, Clive long, David James, RobD, Russell Saxby, ESG / Donkey Boy, Shodan, StokeBloke, Woodface, Gav, turbo tomato, wouldbe, Raphael, Ducasi, Ghost, Bigger Andy, Paul Warden, Trousers, Animal Talk, Blueshoes, Asif, Dale, Elliot (fab dancer non forumite) MikeyR, Martin Harper, SpinDr, James (non forumite - Kent/Bromley) , Craigybaby, The Wacko, Robin, Adam/CerocMetro, Roger Chin, Roger Paine, KevF, DavidY, Magic Hans, Captain Fantastic, Killing Time, First Move, Les Snell, Mr Cool, Dave Hancock, Dave The Scaffolder, Iain Langridge, McJester, Mr Darcy, MsFab , BeoWulf, Sheppy, TGNS, Yogi_Bear, Onkar,Patrick & Jive Addicted.

I think I've also seen or read they do/have....... (but i might be making this up)

SimonR, SilverFox, MickS, Rocky, Amir, Gus, ChrisA, TWK, Chef, Rhythm King,
    Tom Baker, Tim Sant, Seamus ( ),Andreas, Simon Borland , Barry Schnikov, DavidB, JonD, Azande, Organic Marc (can't remember his forum name), TigerPants, Brady, Mick Wenger,Geordie Ed, Mr Fitz, Seahorse, Graham Fox, Danny Lewington, Bob Gadget, Azande, Karl Hudds, Dazzler, Keith & Armstrong.

Sorry If I've offended or missed anyone by not putting them in the correct categories or missing them off etc but its late, I'm tired and tough.

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    Not just those two............

I did say good followers
    Seriously though, there are a couple in your list who are quite good (I apopologise for not naming you) ......... but ......... as much as I love him Under Par as a follower

Alex is IMO the best male follower I have ever seen (since Ben Borengo from Brighton)

Most guys think they need to dance like a woman to follow (hips and all - if you get my jist, plus silly face sometimes) and they seem to travel when they turn (a beginner follower problem) and I respect them for trying - it must be harder for them than us girls leading even though they don't have to think about moves, but I don't think many take it seriously (thank goodness - we need you leading fellas)

Have to say it is very entertaining - I do love to watch two men dancing, even funnier when they do 'double trouble'

When women lead, they just lead, they don't try and dance macho, and contrary to above we DO take it seriously, and it sure comes in handy when there is a shortage of men
    Last edited by Minnie M; 20th-February-2007 at 08:40 AM.

--ooOoo--

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Not just those two.

Jammy, Sheepman, Under Par, Trampy, The Wurlitzer Rocks, JiveP, DirtyD, Spice N Easy, Pretzel Meister, CJ, Marc Forster, Baldrick, Andy McGregor, Clive long, David James, RobD, Russell Saxby, ESG / Donkey Boy, Shodan, StokeBloke, Woodface, Gav, turbo tomato, wouldbe, Raphael, Ducasi, Ghost, Bigger Andy, Paul Warden, Trousers, Animal Talk, Blueshoes, Asif, Dale, Elliot (fab dancer non forumite) MikeyR, Martin Harper, SpinDr, James (non forumite - Kent/Bromley) , Craigybaby, The Wacko, Robin, Adam/CerocMetro, Roger Chin, Roger Paine, KevF, DavidY, Magic Hans, Captain Fantastic, Killing Time, First Move, Les Snell, Mr Cool, Dave Hancock, Dave The Scaffolder, Iain Langridge, McJester, Mr Darcy, MsFab , BeoWulf, Sheppy, TGNS, Yogi_Bear, Onkar,Patrick & Jive Addicted.

I think I've also seen or read they do/have....... (but i might be making this up)

Tom Baker, Tim Sant, Seamus ( ),Andreas, Simon Borland , Barry Schnikov, DavidB, JonD, Azande, Organic Marc (can't remember his forum name), TigerPants, Brady, Mick Wenger,Geordie Ed, Mr Fitz, Seahorse, Graham Fox, Danny Lewington, Bob Gadget, Azande, Karl Hudds, Dazzler, Keith & Armstrong.

Sorry If I've offended or missed anyone by not putting them in the correct categories or missing them off etc but its late, I'm tired and tough.
    if theres a terrible follower list , Ill be on that one

Minnie: I find the phrase "dancing as a man" hilarious too

Most guys think they need to dance like a woman to follow... I respect them for trying - it must be harder for them than us girls leading even though they don't have to think about moves

Have to say it is very entertaining - I do love to watch two men dancing, even funnier when they do 'double trouble'
    From the guys following point of view - its a letting go thing - may be a self confidence issue. I leant to lead not follow, and for the first 2.75 years of my dancing - i managed to avoid following (not completely - i might have had the odd dance as a follow every 3 or 4 weeks or so). So when i decided i was going to learn to follow it was really tough for me, i haven't perfected my spins by any stretch of the imagination, but at least i can now follow most moves i think (well most of the ones i have been led at least).

I must say - i found following really hard, and i felt somewhat of a prat trying to act all fem and girly, with the spare arm and hips wiggling and all. If i found this hard - can only imagine how hard it must be for a guy to let go and express himself freely.

With regards to the double trouble - its so funny to watch the guys doing it together - StokeBloke, Jamie and MartinHarper danced it together at Utopia on Friday, (evesham). And i personally love dancing double trouble with Alex and Jamie - we do get some strange looks let me add!!

Ive been cerocing for almost a year now, and wondered if anyone could give me some advice on the above?

But Im finding the beginners class rather less than challenging now, so Ive thought about trying dancing as a man during it. My worries are

If you tell the woman you are dancing with that you are just learning to lead - they shouldn't actually mind, most people expect to dance with a beginner at somepoint in the beginner class!! If the last part of the track into freestyle with a beginner lead messes up a lady's night then i think the lady may have a few issues.

It is sometimes a problem reverting from one to another, but the more you dance as a lead and a follow, the easier it will be to change between the two

With regards to female leads -

Unless you are totally happy with your following, then it seems that leading is something you should leave for a while - try to get one aspect sorted before you confuse yourself with a second.

However - if you feel you are ready - then my opinion is:

1) there are never enough leads - so it means you can have more dances as you are more versitile

2) Dancing from the other point of view can have radical effects on your normal dancing. (i for example have recently discovered from following, that i do actually have hips , and this discovery is - i am told - now apparent in my leading)

3) If you go to ceroc to have fun, and to meet people, then as long as you are having fun - does it matter if you lead or follow. Yes it might make a difference to your dancing, and i have often been told that if a woman leads, it has a detrimental effect on her following. But unless you are trying to be the next national champion dancer, does it really matter?

Try to assess what you want from the ceroc night, then do what you can to get it, it may well mean that you learn to both lead and follow.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Tessalicious (that's in relation to her leading not just drooling about her in general)

Tessalicious (that's more general )

Most guys think they need to dance like a woman to follow
    Well the people I generally see following are women I might subliminally pick up style from them . I don't mind though I can't even get the Man Spin looking manly so what chance do I have following in a macho fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by Dai View Post
    (snip)Try to assess what you want from the ceroc night, then do what you can to get it, it may well mean that you learn to both lead and follow.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    I have thought a lot about the various things I would like to get from the class...and one of them is being able to Ceroc when my mate (whom I go to class with) and I are on a normal night out. Since there arent usually any men around in the place we go clubbing who can Ceroc... I guess this means I should learn to lead

Thanks for all of the advice, people. This forum is one of the friendliest and most helpful I have ever found. You guys rock!

The Dashing Moderator

DavidY

I'm trying to learn to follow, but not done it much... I'm probably on the "terrible follower" list with DS at the moment.

I'm open to offers to help me improve, though...
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    ... the people I generally see following are women ...
    The people I generally see dancing are women. Lots of men tend towards either "walking", or "standing still" as their style choices. If that's macho dancing, you can keep it.

Not just those two.

Wity i love you, you do think i am a man
    Bless your heart i am going to dance you into the floor next time i see you.
    XXX XXX

Thread Information